Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Snowdog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Snowdog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:42 pm

imaham wrote:Out of burning curiosity, would you guys with the "ground hog day cycle" problem all happen to be using a Canadian Postal Code as a zip to pull your initial lineups, particularly OTA listings? The reason I ask is that at least 2 of you indicated you're located in Ontario. I'm wondering if that's the common thread between you.
I was. I switched to an NY state zip last time, and it looks like I got an update now. But I only get half my channels that way.

This change by MS seems to have killed the hack that let Canadian Postal codes work, though it works once, which is kind of annoying.

The really weird thing is one my buddies runs a similar setup, and he NEVER updated at all for the cutover, and his setup just keeps getting new EPG data. If he check which guide he is using, it still says he is using Zapit, though he is clearly getting Rovi info. It is really odd, but I am cursing myself for being proactive.

BucK

Post by BucK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:49 pm

imaham wrote:Out of burning curiosity, would you guys with the "ground hog day cycle" problem all happen to be using a Canadian Postal Code as a zip to pull your initial lineups, particularly OTA listings? The reason I ask is that at least 2 of you indicated you're located in Ontario. I'm wondering if that's the common thread between you.
I have the "ground hog day cycle" but only one of my boxes - I have two other win 7 32 bit machines that are working ok and downloading the guide automatically. It is my windows 8.1 box (64 bit) that has the problem. I am in Canada using Canadian postal code (Ottawa area) - HDhomerun tuner. Only difference between my working boxes and one that isn't is windows version and 33 bit vs. 64 bit.

I see Snowdog has same issue with windows 7 so I eliminate the windows 8.1 vs 7 as the possibility. Last difference I see is only happening on my 64 bit box? Could that be contributing to the "ground hog day" problem? Others with the issue please chime in.

Thanks
BucK

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Snowdog wrote:ISP Rogers- Ontario Canada.
Hauppauge 950Q Tuner - OTA (why would the tuner affect the guide)
Win7-64
Think about this for a minute......If you don't have a guide, how does the tuner know what to record?

Can you see a tuner/guide connection now?

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:23 am

Crash2009 wrote:
Snowdog wrote:ISP Rogers- Ontario Canada.
Hauppauge 950Q Tuner - OTA (why would the tuner affect the guide)
Win7-64
Think about this for a minute......If you don't have a guide, how does the tuner know what to record?

Can you see a tuner/guide connection now?

No.

I have a guide for 10-14 days, during which I can record until it runs out. I can't see the tuner stopping my guide from downloading.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 am

BucK wrote:
imaham wrote:Last difference I see is only happening on my 64 bit box? Could that be contributing to the "ground hog day" problem? Others with the issue please chime in.
I am on Window 7-64

64 bit + Canada hack?

If you are using ottawa postal code, you must be using Pnear hack?

BucK

Post by BucK » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 am

Snowdog wrote:
BucK wrote:
imaham wrote:Last difference I see is only happening on my 64 bit box? Could that be contributing to the "ground hog day" problem? Others with the issue please chime in.
I am on Window 7-64

64 bit + Canada hack?

Yup - 64 bit plus the Canada hack is the box that wont work. 32 bit with Canada hack machines work fine.

imaham

Post by imaham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Last 32-bit was on Windows XP for me. There is a difference between W7-64 WMC and W8-64 bit. One visible indicator on W8-64 is the on screen Closed Caption button beside the "Record" button. I'll see if I can figure out what Pete's last procedure actually did for the Ottawa scenario, maybe there are clues that we overlooked. I've never used the hack, and I'm not sure exactly what it does that makes Canada different than the US other than allow you to insert an alpha-numeric postal code. He said something about enabling ATSC, but I can't recall the explanation as to what he changed to do that.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:35 pm

imaham wrote:Last 32-bit was on Windows XP for me. There is a difference between W7-64 WMC and W8-64 bit. One visible indicator on W8-64 is the on screen Closed Caption button beside the "Record" button. I'll see if I can figure out what Pete's last procedure actually did for the Ottawa scenario, maybe there are clues that we overlooked. I've never used the hack, and I'm not sure exactly what it does that makes Canada different than the US other than allow you to insert an alpha-numeric postal code. He said something about enabling ATSC, but I can't recall the explanation as to what he changed to do that.

You could always enter a Canadian Postal code, but it will not enable the ATSC OTA mode. With the hack it will enable the ATSC OTA mode for Canadian postal codes.

Alternatively people just use the nearest US Zip code to enable the ATSC OTA mode.

spheryc

Post by spheryc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 am

Snowdog wrote:
BucK wrote:
I am on Window 7-64

64 bit + Canada hack?

Canada here too! (45 min. north of Montreal) I don't use OTA hack because I dont' use ATSC tuner. Windows 7 64 bits. Nerver thought to try 32 bits! Maybe will give it a try soon.

spheryc

Post by spheryc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:11 am

wmcLover45 wrote:I am SHOCKED you guys are able to get it to download the first time!!!! Most people can't get it to start at all and that's the main problem!!!! :)

Are you guys editing your HOSTS file??? What's the IP address coming back when you ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com?
Yes, using HOSTS file mod :
65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
(have found it here : http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/119-ota ... ota-2.html)
Seems to get better results for near Montreal locations. Work good for me (but just the first time of course!)

imaham

Post by imaham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:14 am

spheryc wrote: Canada here too! (45 min. north of Montreal) I don't use OTA hack because I dont' use ATSC tuner. Windows 7 64 bits. Nerver thought to try 32 bits! Maybe will give it a try soon.
Can you please clarify: Are you saying you have the "Ground Hog Cycle" problem with no ATSC tuner involved. Please identify input i.e. Cable/Satellite and the lineup you're using. If it includes all Canada & US channels, perhaps Ottawa guys could use the same Lineup and modify the channel numbers with GuideTool.

imaham

Post by imaham » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:50 am

Just a few thoughts:
1. I looked into the ATSCandQAM.bat file, and there are too many variables with no documentation, so it's difficult to tell just what would have enabled ATSC. There's something called tvss-ca that I suspect has something to do with it, but hard to tell.
2. I don't recall when I purchased the WMC for W8 that there was any 'restriction' or 'minimum requirement' option that Canada was not allowed to use ATSC. Did anyone actually verify that it didn't work before running the batch file - perhaps that might have something to do with it. I can't find any link to the latest files from Pete Near, so it would seem that a new computer on W8 wouldn't even have those files. Also there's no description as to how to reverse the bat file if you decide to remove it.
3. The "firstrun.log" file in ehome\logs appears to scan every possible channel number and classify it by address range, i.e. QAM, ATSC, Cable, etc. It probably duplicates ATSCandQAM.bat, but that's just a guess on my part.
4. All the cable listings are virtually identical to the Zap2It listings with the exception of OTA which now has a new headend ID to identify it (on the "About" screen)
5. I can't find anything in the "recordings" backup file that identifies "new" vs "rerun", nor is there anything in the "lineup" backup files. However, I recall reading an old complaint about this issue which was successfully resolved and it identified that the time stamps relative to current time had something to do with how they determined rerun vs new. This was long before ROVI changeover.
6. If you're going to mess around with things, a good image backup will save you many hours of time, especially if you split your C: disk partition off from D: or use an SSD.

spheryc

Post by spheryc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:52 pm

imaham wrote:
spheryc wrote: Canada here too! (45 min. north of Montreal) I don't use OTA hack because I dont' use ATSC tuner. Windows 7 64 bits. Nerver thought to try 32 bits! Maybe will give it a try soon.
Can you please clarify: Are you saying you have the "Ground Hog Cycle" problem with no ATSC tuner involved. Please identify input i.e. Cable/Satellite and the lineup you're using. If it includes all Canada & US channels, perhaps Ottawa guys could use the same Lineup and modify the channel numbers with GuideTool.
Yes for the "Ground Hog Cycle". In fact, I have two tuner cards : one is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (dual tuner) and the other is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 with ATSC/Cable, but I don't use the ATSC tuner, just the cable one (no set top box, just old analog cable with both cards). For the lineup (if I understand well your question), I use the one titled "Vidétron - illico TV Montréal - Numérique Standard Cable". It's the best choice for me to have most of my real cable lineup, with not too much channels misplaced. My exact lineup, with Zap2it before the cutover, was "Vidéotron Ltée - Cable (Montréal Metro)", but it's not available anymore with Rovio. And there is another one available, "DeryTelecom Montérégie Standard Cable", that just shouldn't be there, because this provider is even not present in my area. Proof that Rovi as made a poor work, at least for what I can see in my point of view.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:12 am

Maybe we should have a separate thread for Canadian issues with the cutover. We seem to have some unique issues.

bmcpeak

Post by bmcpeak » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:51 am

The Mac wrote:this worked for me:

remove any host edits.
run task ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in task sceduler
refresh left pane till task is complete
open media center
you will get a message that it fixed an EPG file error
try tuner setup.
if EPG erorrs out, back up one screen to UELA.
put MC in a window still on the EULA screen.
open an elevated CMD.
type "ipconfig /flushdns
immediately hit next on MC to try again.
You may need to do it more than once as it occasionally downloads a corrupted xml.

this was repeatable for me on 3 machines that wouldn't download.
Well maybe some progress? I did as you did and I got it to go through the entire process. But still no guide, and I don't have as many channels as I should. It does not have the line "about guide".
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am recording OTA with Next PVR and it is working fairly well, but for some reason the Fast Forward does not work very well. Have it setup to use my MC remote?

BucK

Post by BucK » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Is the "Ground Hog Cycle" just a Canadian guide issue? s anyone in the US having this issue: you can get the guide when you run setup but after that it never updates and eventually expires?

bmcpeak

Post by bmcpeak » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:13 pm

I am still trying to get some guide data. I am doing what "The Mac" suggested in post #1780 This is the only thing that has allowed me to get past the TV Data Download Failure. But still no guide. I have tried running setup with and without the Host edits, and with several zip codes that show an OTA guide available on the Microsoft site.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

travbro

Post by travbro » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Media Center no Data solved. REALLY !!!
After many methods that actually worked on a previous install I had... the below worked for me when nothing else would.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Look for instructions from Posted by Larry Blanco on 7/29/2015 at 7:31 PM ALL RIGHT NOW!. At this link https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1573972

This involves turning off media center items from the scheduler, and in programs and features.. adding a couple of address in your host file and deleting files deep in the program data folder. Remember you have to use Administrator privileges in several steps.
This fixed my problem after a new SSD fresh W7-64 bit Professional install. Zip Code 42420 OTA with an Avermedia Dual Digital Tuner White box if it really matters.
THANKS LARRY !!!

If you are having trouble navigating his instructions, here is my condensed version of his instructions... not necessarily as much detail. If you are scared of Regedit, or deleting files... go get your local PC nerd...

Also, I was working with a new install so I wasn't worried about a backup...
Some good advice is...Backup your PC... !!!

Start Here --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Open Notepad as Administrator & edit the hosts file found @ \Windows\system32\drivers\etc. "All Files"
copy the below 2 lines and paste them in this file below the entries that exist in it.

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Closed WMC
Open task scheduler. Run both MediaCenterRecoverTask and the ObjectStoreRecoverTask.
Uninstalled WMC from programs and features.
Reboot.
Open Windows Explorer and C:\ProgramData\microsoft\ehome
Delete all mcepg3-x folders and files.
Opened regedit32 and drill down to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Epg]
Deleted all the keys underneath "the default key probably won't delete" don't worry, that's normal.
Do the same for
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide]

Now reinstall WMC from program and feature and reboot.
It will probably give a "Serious error message when you start it" That is a good thing... probably... :thumbup:
Open WMC and run the setup. It should now download the listing for you with out error.

Let me know if this fixes it for you.

TRAVBRO

nimbuscrenel

Post by nimbuscrenel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:49 am

I've been lurking on this forum for years, but finally created an account just to say that travbro's steps actually fixed things for me. I tried basically every other suggestion in this thread, but the regedits/wmc reinstall finally did the trick. Thanks travbro!

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm

nimbuscrenel wrote:I've been lurking on this forum for years, but finally created an account just to say that travbro's steps actually fixed things for me. I tried basically every other suggestion in this thread, but the regedits/WMC reinstall finally did the trick. Thanks travbro!
hears how i did it on my lonesome on the 2nd week of the EPG Cut-over... 1. After backing-up my PlayReady folder for WMC; restored my C Drive with Imaging software to the exact same way it was way before this whole EPG cut-over shenanigans started. 2. Disconnected from the internet. 3. Edited Hosts file by adding "65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com" and
"72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com" 4. And did something maybe about hiding a Windows Update for WMC after connecting to the Internet? (the info is somewhere in these forums.) 5. Backed-up (Imaged) the C drive everyday, just in case, during that 1st month of the Cut-over, additional probs cropped-up.

And i never had a problem.

But, it was all thanks to this Forum i figured it out. before these forums i was lost. :clap: