Media Center EPG Cutover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Bard

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Bard » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

After editing the host file I now fail on "Downloading TV Setup Data" every time. I've tried both IP's in the host file. I removed them from the host file so that it was back to default and it still fails downloading tv setup data. :( when I ping the addresses they resolve to the correct IP's so I don't believe I need the host file anyway. I've tried a bunch of different IP's. Any suggestions?

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:51 pm

I have guide data again too! On a Win 7 system and a Vista x86+media pack.

I first did a "TV Setup" and that didn't do it. I then did a "General -> "Windows Media Center Setup" -> "Run Setup Again" -> "Custom (not automatic") and that did it. (Vista didn't offer automatic)
Last edited by rmeden on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aslg

Post by aslg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Bard wrote:After editing the host file I now fail on "Downloading TV Setup Data" every time. I've tried both IP's in the host file. I removed them from the host file so that it was back to default and it still fails downloading tv setup data. :( when I ping the addresses they resolve to the correct IP's so I don't believe I need the host file anyway. I've tried a bunch of different IP's. Any suggestions?
Retry just the download step in the wizard. Several times...
It worked for me and few others.

Bard

Post by Bard » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks I've tried redownloading a bunch, but I'll keep at it.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Anyone else Need to keep doing this over and over???

I basically have resort to a hard reset on WMC, so I do all setup again from scratch. It downloads a set of EPG data right away (10-14 days worth). Yay! or so thought the first time.

But then it NEVER updates that data, mind you it says it is downloading the data, when you do it manually it even says it was successfully downloaded, but there is nothing.

10-14 days later I do it all again, and I am good for another 10-14 days...

I have done this 6 times now, and my guide is completely empty again today. VERY Frustrating. It obviously not an address issue, since works 100% the first time, and fails 100% every time after that.

ARGH. I am really starting to hate MS.

spheryc

Post by spheryc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 am

Snowdog wrote:Anyone else Need to keep doing this over and over???

I basically have resort to a hard reset on WMC, so I do all setup again from scratch. It downloads a set of EPG data right away (10-14 days worth). Yay! or so thought the first time.

But then it NEVER updates that data, mind you it says it is downloading the data, when you do it manually it even says it was successfully downloaded, but there is nothing.

I have done this 6 times now, and my guide is completely empty again today. VERY Frustrating. It obviously not an address issue, since works 100% the first time, and fails 100% every time after that.

Exactly the same problem here! Have to redo the tuner setup every 10-14 days because the guide wont update after the first time. And to add to this problem, Rivio was not bright enough to add all the providers/listings previously available with Zap2it, so mine is not there. I have to choose another listing from the same provider (with 90% of the same channels, but with only 40% placed under the correct channel number), and do a tuner lineup restore with GuideTool after every tuner setup. I use MediaCenter since almost 10 years, and this "cutover" fail is very disappointing and frustrating.

BucK

Post by BucK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:02 am

spheryc wrote:

Exactly the same problem here! Have to redo the tuner setup every 10-14 days because the guide wont update after the first time. And to add to this problem, Rivio was not bright enough to add all the providers/listings previously available with Zap2it, so mine is not there. I have to choose another listing from the same provider (with 90% of the same channels, but with only 40% placed under the correct channel number), and do a tuner lineup restore with GuideTool after every tuner setup. I use MediaCenter since almost 10 years, and this "cutover" fail is very disappointing and frustrating.
Also have the same problem - tried everything. Get the guide date on setup but nothing after that. One of my windows 7 boxes updates ok, it is my windows 8.1 main box that I have this issue. Wiped WMC and reinstalled still same issue?????

wmcLover45

Post by wmcLover45 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:27 am

I am SHOCKED you guys are able to get it to download the first time!!!! Most people can't get it to start at all and that's the main problem!!!! :)

Are you guys editing your HOSTS file??? What's the IP address coming back when you ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com?

guho

Post by guho » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:11 am

It was the main problem but i think Microsoft finally fixed it last weekend. I used to retry initial tv signal setup dozens of times on 5 notebooks last week. Then on Sunday it worked on all of them on the first attempt. No hosts file edits for me.

teknokill

Post by teknokill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

I hate to say it and I hate the reality of spending so much money to keep my windows media center extenders going throughout the house, but unfortunately I've spent way too much of my time trying to fix this EPG problem, that I'm about to give up and sell everything and just get cable boxes. The pressure from my Wife of not being able to tape anything has been too much for me to take and is simply not worth it. Is there anybody who would be willing to tell me how to get my EPG guide working? I have already re-installed Windows 7 due to the crazy issues I actually created trying to fix the EPG issue in media center. I'm calling Time Warner later today and let them know I'm trading in my cable cards for dvr boxes. This is a sad way to end something I've actually enjoyed doing despite all of the bugs and issues I've had. The EPG is the final straw.

Scott

SLK in SF

Post by SLK in SF » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:11 pm

teknokill wrote:The pressure from my Wife of not being able to tape anything has been too much for me to take and is simply not worth it.
I have resorted to manual recording in WMC. It's a PITA and requires referencing an external program guide (I use titantv.com) but it is possible. Not fun with the new season line-up starting this week, but it's better than not recording at all.

teknokill

Post by teknokill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:18 pm

I've been trying to export epg data into wmc, but haven't had any luck yet. I also think I've done too many system updates that now My computer is moving slower and running into other windows issues. Who knew that this EPG glitch would be so catastrophic? If I could still utilize my equipment and get away from WMC I would, but of course I couldn't use my media center extenders.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 pm

teknokill wrote:I've been trying to export epg data into WMC, but haven't had any luck yet. I also think I've done too many system updates that now My computer is moving slower and running into other windows issues. Who knew that this EPG glitch would be so catastrophic? If I could still utilize my equipment and get away from WMC I would, but of course I couldn't use my media center extenders.
Have you tried either of these?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9052

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=8927

teknokill

Post by teknokill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:57 pm

Mike88,

Thanks for responding. I have tried Big Screen and I did see it populate when I grabbed the local file of the xml data and I did see it was populated with listings for my local zip code, but I couldn't get the plug in to work with my WMC. I guess I have to start working on it again. I saw both thread links you put on your message, but it was hard to follow what was successful and what was not. I suppose I will try working on it again. I think you might have to create a scheduled batch file to keep the listings rolling in order to not have to update it manual every week.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:24 am

BucK wrote:
spheryc wrote:

Also have the same problem - tried everything. Get the guide date on setup but nothing after that. One of my windows 7 boxes updates ok, it is my windows 8.1 main box that I have this issue. Wiped WMC and reinstalled still same issue?????
Thanks guys. I don't feel so alone now. :D

But with at least three of us in the same weird boat maybe one of us will stumble on some trick for to end our "groundhog day" cycle and report back.

Any More with this problem?

I tried all the recommendations, and I added the recommended urls to my hosts file.

This really seems like some kind of weird glitch, and not a connectivity issue. I really have done it 6 times, tried different Zips and always the exact same thing.

I get the guide on the first install, and it never adds new info, eventually I have to use MediaCenterRecoveryTask, to obliterate the WMC and start over. Then I redo it and it works again...

ARgh, so frustrating...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:52 am

Snowdog wrote:Thanks guys. I don't feel so alone now. :D

But with at least three of us in the same weird boat maybe one of us will stumble on some trick for to end our "groundhog day" cycle and report back.

Any More with this problem?

I tried all the recommendations, and I added the recommended urls to my hosts file.

This really seems like some kind of weird glitch, and not a connectivity issue. I really have done it 6 times, tried different Zips and always the exact same thing.

I get the guide on the first install, and it never adds new info, eventually I have to use MediaCenterRecoveryTask, to obliterate the WMC and start over. Then I redo it and it works again...

ARgh, so frustrating...
The tuner might be the problem. What model are you using? OTA or CC? What OS are you using?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:02 am

Are you all the same provider?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 am

ISP Rogers- Ontario Canada.
Hauppauge 950Q Tuner - OTA (why would the tuner affect the guide)
Win7-64

imaham

Post by imaham » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Out of burning curiosity, would you guys with the "ground hog day cycle" problem all happen to be using a Canadian Postal Code as a zip to pull your initial lineups, particularly OTA listings? The reason I ask is that at least 2 of you indicated you're located in Ontario. I'm wondering if that's the common thread between you.

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:56 pm

this worked for me:

remove any host edits.
run task ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in task sceduler
refresh left pane till task is complete
open media center
you will get a message that it fixed an EPG file error
try tuner setup.
if EPG erorrs out, back up one screen to UELA.
put MC in a window still on the EULA screen.
open an elevated CMD.
type "ipconfig /flushdns
immediately hit next on MC to try again.
You may need to do it more than once as it occasionally downloads a corrupted xml.

this was repeatable for me on 3 machines that wouldnt download.