How Do I "Force On" A New CCast Channel??

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Race Guy

HTPC Specs: Show details

How Do I "Force On" A New CCast Channel??

Post by Race Guy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Just got a new "Cubs baseball" channel, 202, added to my Comcast system.

On my other TV, with an X1 box, it was just automatically "switched on". On my Win 7 HTPC with WMC & a Ceton card, nothing yet. Punching in 202 does nothing, probably 'cause it's not yet in the SD guide.

What should I do to switch it on???

Thanks muchly!!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:58 pm

If you had automatch selected in your EPG123 task creation, then when the new station appears in your lineup it should appear in your guide and be watchable. It may take a couple of days to appear in your lineup. If it does not, then you need to file a ticket with Schedules Direct asking them to update your lineup with the new channel.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:21 pm

To be able to view channel 202 without any guide listings, you will have to enable the channel either in the EPG123 Client, or by editing the channel in WMC. To keep it from disappearing until there are listings available from SD, then you will have to disable the 'Automatically match...'/'Automatch' option in your scheduled task. If you need to change the automatch feature, you will have to delete your current task, disable automatch, and create a new task.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 am

I believe I mentioned this before, but I think it would be a good idea to create a "view only" listing that you could assign to channels like this on a temporary basis so that you don't have to perform these steps (delete task, disable automatch, create task, wait for listing to be added by SD, delete task, enable automatch, create task).

All you would have to do its assign the channel to the "view only" listing and "save and execute" and you're done.

The listing associated with this channel should be automatically changed when the correct listing is added to SD.

I think the normal behavior when you manually assign listings like this, is to keep the manual listing, but if it is this special "view only" listing it should have special behavior and automatically change to the new listing as if the channel had no current listing.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Your proposed method, in my mind, is not viable. I can however experiment with creating a dummy lineup with a single dummy channel (no listings) that can be manually mapped to any merged channel. This will keep the merged channel active with automatch enabled and it can also be replaced when the channel is added to the SD lineup.

Same effect.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 am

I'm not real familiar with the inner workings of the lineups, etc. But it sounds like essentially what I was talking about, as long as the channel mapping is "soft" in that when the new channel is added to the main lineup, the listing on that channel is automatically changed to the new channels listings.

Race Guy

Post by Race Guy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 am

So I ended up contacting SD to get 202 injected into the guide about a week ago. This afternoon, I get am E from them saying "server has been updated". I go GREAT, let's see what's on 202!

But still nothing..., prolly 'cause my EPG update happens @ 4am. So I try the right click off the guide & select "Get Latest Guide". After 2 "Guide Download Errors", I assume that WMC link doesn't connect to EPG, right?

So then I pull up EPG & see that 202 is there now, with the proper label. I then open EPG Client to see if I can do a "non-scheduled update", but didn't see any obvious "button" to do it. No biggie..., I can wait for my next 4am update! The Cubbies got "COVID-Cancelled" tonight anyhow.

For future reference Gary, is there an EASY way to do that manual update, I'm missing? I assume I coulda tweaked the scheduled task to do it, but that's too much work!

Thanks!!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:29 am

Open the configuration GUI and click [Save & Execute]. While you are in the GUI, make sure channel 202 is selected for download. It will probably be highlighted in pink since it is a "new" station.
- Gary