Guide changes affect scheduled recordings

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
prsa01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide changes affect scheduled recordings

Post by prsa01 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm

I REALLY didn't want to start a new topic on this. Expect it is a well known "issue", probably without solution. I tried searching with every combination of terms I could think of but had no luck. This operates in a logical manner since a guide triggered recording is (I expect) recording by description. Just thought it was worth asking if the smart folks here have found any alternatives.

Issue is: a recording is scheduled, subsequent guide updates change that item description, recording is turned off.

I notice this most often with sports. Initial guide data may be "TBA" or may only have one of the teams defined (but can be a change to any guide data descrption). Sometimes I see it if the primary description is a duplicate "NFL playoff" so only the detail description is different. I scheduled 2 games on different stations at different times and wmc turns one off thinking they are duplicate recordings.

Short of doing manual records or rechecking recordings each morning after guide updates is there any way to create a "protected" recording that won't change based on guide updates?

Understand there are workarounds, just checking if anyone has come up with a more creative solution.

Thanks much!

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:46 am

What's your guide data source? (default Rovi or EPG123?)

I am recording NFL Football as a series and haven't any trouble, whether they stay "Teams TBA" of if they're updated to the specific teams. I guess my series settings say to record "New & rerun" but I don't think they should ever be marked as rerun...

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

Haven't tried doing it as a series, will try that. When I have noticed it has been one-off recordings. It has happened with both stock (rovi) and epg123 guide sources.

Thanks for the input

n8rockerasu

Post by n8rockerasu » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 pm

I've had this same problem, using EPG123 and the Zap2It listings. Every time I run the batch file to update the guide, all of my upcoming recordings are cleared. It doesn't matter if I have the series scheduled to record or just one episode. Everything gets reset and has to be added back manually for the week. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:51 am

What batch file are you running? I've never heard of this kind of behavior, so I doubt anyone knows of a fix just yet.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io