Import guide data into WMC without additional cost

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Winterlight

HTPC Specs: Show details

Import guide data into WMC without additional cost

Post by Winterlight » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 pm

In regard to this posting on the home page>.
If you use SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners and receive listings for their slice guide, you may be able to import that data into WMC without any additional cost. If you are subscribed to their $35USD/year DVR Service, you can receive up to 14 days of guide listings.

I am in the U.S and I do have a Silicon Dust subscription and I use their Win10 and Android app on most of devices. I have both the Cable and OTA devices and it does work great. However, I have one PC = Windows 8.1 PRO with Media Center that I want to keep using after MS kills guide support next week. Mostly because it has a TEXT based guide to find programing and set recordings which is much easier to use for a quick recording.

So what do I have to do to <Import that data into WMC without any additional cost>? Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Sorry, I haven't created the HDHR2MXF page yet on the website. The program just got updated today, and currently will only work if you have an active DVR Service subscription. Here is how to get the SiliconDust guide into WMC.

Install EPG123 with the following components:
  • Client Files
  • HDHR2MXF for SiliconDust HDHR DVR Service
Follow the installation routine for EPG123. When it gets to Step 3, Part 1 it will automatically run the HDHR2MXF program, import it, and map the listings to your guide channels. When done, it will proceed to Step 3, Part 2. It is actually really quick and easy without having to configure lineups and channels like we do with Schedules Direct.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Curious on this. I currently have epg123 with schedules direct and love the guide data. Who is the provider for this data. If it’s ROVI, I’ll stick with schedules direct, but if it’s zap2it, then I might consider paying $10 more a year to enable DVR on my HDHomerun.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:29 pm

The provider for SiliconDust is Gracenote as well so it will look pretty similar. This also means that the Transfer Tool, and all your Recording Requests for EPG123/Schedules Direct will work. The table below shows what you will not get with HDHR2MXF, but the guide will be fully functional.

- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:20 am

I followed your instructions and the end I see my cable and OTA listing. In my Guide it has stopped at the end of Dec. So is there something I have to do to tell it to update? Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 am

Winterlight wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:20 am I followed your instructions and the end I see my cable and OTA listing. In my Guide it has stopped at the end of Dec. So is there something I have to do to tell it to update? Thanks
If you are ending at the end of this month, you are not using guide data from SiliconDust. You are still using the MS/Rovi guide. Open the client and take a look at the 'Subscribed Lineup' column... if they do not start with EPG123, then you are using MS/Rovi and had accepted the Program Guide Terms of Service in Step 2 of the installation.
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 pm

I uninstalled cleaned up and tried again. I am confused the only thing I agree to is the licensing agreement... then check Client Files, HDHR2MXF for SiliconDust HDHR DVR Service, and help ....and go...that's it and here is where I end up...so how do I load EPG123 as my guide?
channels.png

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:03 pm

There is a whole setup routine you need to go through, but right now hdhr2mxf is having some problems with cable card lineups. (I have 1 success and 2 fails that I know of so far). Stick around for a bit and if I don't have it fixed soon, I would recommend signing up for a 7-day trial with Schedules Direct. A transition from Schedules Direct to hdhr2mxf will be practically seamless.

http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/ will show you the steps for a normal setup with EPG123 and Schedules Direct. For hdhr2mxf, Step 3 Part 1 will be replaced by the hdhr2mxf.exe program running.
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:51 pm

so I should uninstall what is there and start over and install Schedules Direct trial? Maybe I should do the $6 2 month. Hopefully you will have it resolved by then. Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:57 pm

No need to uninstall, you can just run the installer again and add the server component. You can always do the trial and then the 2 month, but hopefully I'll have an answer to the latest problem soon. It's just been a bit hectic with all the new users coming on board... I don't think anyone expected 1/1/2020 to be the day it ended.
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Ok, I will start with the trial. Will you post here if you find a solution or should I keep checking? Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Absolutely.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:17 am

I'd like to shout out to @mc99, @hawleytoner, and @rtbond for helping me get HDHR2MXF working with some peculiarities of guide data provided by SiliconDust and the scenarios I didn't account for in my code with cable lineups. It appears we now have a fully functional program to work with in v1.3.3.30.

Thank you very much!
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 am

I could tell Microsoft had caved to outside pressure and was going to phase out WMC as soon as they changed it to an add-on for Win8 and promoted the lamest explanations any who had actually used WMC could ever dream of. Despite considering virtually every alternative available and trying many, I have not found anything close to as usable for me as WMC, so I'd like to keep it alive as long as possible.

As an alternative I already pay the $35/yr for HDHomeRun DVR (it's the worst I've used) and $8/mo for ChannelsDVR (best for mobile devices, but lousy for sports with no manual record). I wouldn't have any problem using the HDHR guide data with HDHR2MXF but also don't mind paying $25/yr for SchedulesDirect.

I have a 3-tuner CableCard HDHR Prime and a 4-tuner Connect Quatro for OTA. What would you recommend for someone in my situation?

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:15 am

The chart above shows what you get, and the differences between HDHR2MXF and Schedules Direct. It really depends on what you like to see. Personally, I like to see TV and MPAA ratings, along with the reasons, so I can use Parental Controls if I wanted. I like to see Cast and Crew names along with character names. I absolutely love being able to see any upcoming series/season/miniseries premieres quickly at any time. For me, those are definitely worth $25/year.

If none of the extras with Schedules Direct are a must have, or worth it to you, and since you are already doing the HDHomeRun DVR, then that is a perfectly reasonable route to go. That is unless you don't plan on continuing to pay for the DVR Service, then I would say go ahead with Schedules Direct just to not have to worry about the transition later.
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm going to go ahead and open an account with Schedules Direct and go about installing EPG123 with that.

I guess I'll be finding out soon, but I have another question that could be helpful to others. I bought the My Channel Logos add-on many years ago so I could see more information in the guide at once (I have it set for an 11 channel by 3 hour grid). I see that SchedulesDirect provides logos next to the channels, but wonder if either of the above solutions will preserve the increase in rows and columns.

Thanks!

testmonkey

Post by testmonkey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:31 pm

I too have paid for My Channel Logos (long ago) and have recently switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct and have found their logos satisfactory. As for the 11 by 3 it can be adjusted with EPG123.
All in all a great solution for WMC and M$ shortsighted plan to drop support.
Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:12 pm

tluxon wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:10 am Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm going to go ahead and open an account with Schedules Direct and go about installing EPG123 with that.

I guess I'll be finding out soon, but I have another question that could be helpful to others. I bought the My Channel Logos add-on many years ago so I could see more information in the guide at once (I have it set for an 11 channel by 3 hour grid). I see that SchedulesDirect provides logos next to the channels, but wonder if either of the above solutions will preserve the increase in rows and columns.

Thanks!
I think you will find the tweaks available with EPG123 for guide layout is far superior to MCL XL. You can look at examples here. I did not, however, include the ability to see channel number, logo, and call sign all at the same time or change their order.

For logos, MCL XL has some logos that you might find better than Schedules Direct but it is easy to take advantage of that. All you need to do is copy the MCL logo into the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos\<station callsign>.png file. On next update, the logo will be replaced in WMC. Also of note with EPG123 and logos, the station logos will be embedded in the MXF file so any WMC that imports the file will have the logos as well without the need to have the actual file locally.

If you intend to not use Schedules Direct, and continue to use MCL XL, then just disable the option to 'Include station logos' in the configuration.
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:23 pm

I just installed version 1.3.3.30 and it still doesn't work for me. Winterlight

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:26 pm

I need to know more. Could you send me the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\trace.log file to support@garyan2.net? I need to see where you are at in the installation and what is missing.
- Gary