Import guide data into WMC without additional cost

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
chrisb009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by chrisb009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Not sure how people are getting the guide to import - I have searched high and low - tried multiple ways - still cannot get the guide to import into WMC.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 pm

chrisb009 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm Not sure how people are getting the guide to import - I have searched high and low - tried multiple ways - still cannot get the guide to import into WMC.
Not sure what your question is.

Microsoft announced they would no longer provide guide info because of Windows 7 going out of support. The end date was supposed to be 1/20/2020. Reports say people were getting guide updates into the middle of March, but that has come to an end and it's not expected to change unless a fluke occurs.

Now there is only one option that works, which is using the free EPG123 software, but it needs the raw data which comes from Schedules Direct and a yearly subscription is $25.

This topic is exploring how the raw data could be obtained without cost and would work with the standard WMC guide or the free EPG123 software.

Go back and read the last few pages of this topic to see what the status is.

chrisb009

Post by chrisb009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm

So - I've read the entire post and several others. It seems the guide can be pulled free from Zap2it rather than Schedules Direct - correct me if I am missing something...

Thanks,

Chris

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 pm

chrisb009 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm So - I've read the entire post and several others. It seems the guide can be pulled free from Zap2it rather than Schedules Direct - correct me if I am missing something...

Thanks,

Chris
I've opted to go the EPG123/Schedules Direct route, so I haven't tried or closely followed this. Hopefully, others will chime in.

chrisb009

Post by chrisb009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Gotcha - I've pulled the data with ZAP2XML from Zap2it and created the WMC file using EPG Collector - simply cannot get it to load within WMC. I even tried loadmxf.exe with zero success. Not sure if there's a data issue or something else going on...

Thanks,

Chris

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Does loadmxf fail? or is it just that your guide is still empty? You may just need to map the listings from EPGC to your tuner channels. You can do this using the EPG123 client program; no membership to Schedules Direct required.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

chrisb009

Post by chrisb009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:11 pm

loadmxf seems to load however guide is still 100% empty. That's what I'm wondering (mapping possibly) - I reached out to Steve Bickell -on the EPG forums. Awaiting input...

Thanks,

Chris

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:45 am

Yes, you need to map the listings to the channel yourself.
- Gary

TheReducer

Post by TheReducer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am

Is anyone else having problems with prime time TV guide information being wrong every night for the last couple of weeks as well as all the upcoming days in the guide so far?
All of my channels have news or whatever is on at 6:30 PM continuing through to 9PM and omitting all of the actual programs in the 7 to 9 PM timeslots.
I've had to resort to manual programming my prime time shows the last few weeks - like using a VCR once more.

I think the zap2it.com data is correct in tvguide.xml, but once EPGC pulls it into Media Center, it's wrong.
I have the same problem with the xml2mxf method (the not recommended YouTube method).

The guides were working well about 3 weeks ago, but not since.
I have only OTA (6 channels).

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 pm

TheReducer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am Is anyone else having problems with prime time TV guide information being wrong every night for the last couple of weeks as well as all the upcoming days in the guide so far?
All of my channels have news or whatever is on at 6:30 PM continuing through to 9PM and omitting all of the actual programs in the 7 to 9 PM timeslots.
I've had to resort to manual programming my prime time shows the last few weeks - like using a VCR once more.

I think the zap2it.com data is correct in tvguide.xml, but once EPGC pulls it into Media Center, it's wrong.
I have the same problem with the xml2mxf method (the not recommended YouTube method).

My zap2it/EPGC setup has been working fine. About 20 OTA channels (twin cities area).

I'm no expert but I would focus on the WMC side of things since the xml sounds like it is OK and also look at the mxf to be sure it is ok.

Since you are doing so few channels it shouldn't be too big a deal to re-setup wmc and make sure the channel mapping is correct. Either delete or rebuild the wmc database.

A pain depending on how many series you have setup, but I would think the problem would be on that side. If you do have alot of series, you could possibly backup with epg123 and restore recordings after you re-setup wmc.

Someone more expert may have better ideas.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm

Here is what should be a simple question for those who know... I kept a backup of my recordings. So after changing from ROVI to Zap2it (trying it out for a bit), of course my recordings do not work. I know I needed to change the guide over (and nuke my channel lineups for them to work) and remap things.

Is it possible to "convert" my recordings file so they work with Zap2it ?

Just trying to keep a few shows that are off season now and not in the guide... Of course I will forget to record them when they come on..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:52 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm Here is what should be a simple question for those who know... I kept a backup of my recordings. So after changing from ROVI to Zap2it (trying it out for a bit), of course my recordings do not work. I know I needed to change the guide over (and nuke my channel lineups for them to work) and remap things.

Just trying to keep a few shows that are off season now and not in the guide... Of course I will forget to record them when they come on..
IIRC I was able to use epg123 to transfer my recordings over after setting up the new guide. I would backup the wmc dB first so, worst case, nothing is lost. You may need to point epg123 to your backup db to get the recordings (don't remember for sure).

Going from memory but hopefully that saves you some work.
Last edited by prsa01 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm

prsa01 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:52 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm Here is what should be a simple question for those who know... I kept a backup of my recordings. So after changing from ROVI to Zap2it (trying it out for a bit), of course my recordings do not work. I know I needed to change the guide over (and nuke my channel lineups for them to work) and remap things.

IIRC I was able to use epg123 to transfer my recordings over after setting up the new guide. I would backup the WMC dB first so, worst case, nothing is lost. You may need to point epg123 to your backup db to get the recordings.

Going from memory but hopefully that saves you some work.
Thanks, did you use the EPG123 Client app to do it ? If so, an special method ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Yes, the client app. Only the recording transfer. Not the rest of the setup unless you are using epg123 for your guide of course.

Unfortunately, don't remember more than that. It was awhile ago.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 pm

prsa01 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:10 pm Yes, the client app. Only the recording transfer. Not the rest of the setup unless you are using epg123 for your guide of course.

Unfortunately, don't remember more than that. It was awhile ago.
Thanks, I'll play with it..

Edit: Worked perfect, awesome. It didn't get all of them (I am not using schedules direct) but, Its only a few that are not critical, others I added manually here.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pm

I posted here about playing with EPG Collector and Zap2XML... just to find out what we can get for a free option...

viewtopic.php?p=139753#p139753

It appears none was interested so I figured a update belongs here...

Well, as I said, I wanted to see what I could get out of EPG Collector and the maximum I can see with this software and ZAP2XML for a "Free Solution". I grabbed bits of info from assorted places to figure this all out.

So, I tweaked everything more and playing with it. Tweaked my settings and updated my CMD file for new settings...

This is what IS working...

1. Guide data imported and very accurate from what I have been reading with extended desc.
2. Categories appear to be working in everything I have seen so far.
3. Repeats and new shows are detected as such, with some few acceptations (Simpson episodes).
4. Images in every show and movie.
5. Series will show Episode number, for Example it will show (S11 E10) on shows.
6. Channel Logos with the combo of "My Channel Logos XL" has every logo on every channel.
7. Fully Indexed so movies and tv shows can be searched, actor's movie, TV shows. etc.

When I first set it download images, It took almost 7gb, now it's 1/4th of that.

My WMC now at it's current state is better than it has ever been on ROVI... and I did this on Windows 8.1 so this will be my new home...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 am

DavidinCT wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pmMy WMC now at it's current state is better than it has ever been on ROVI...
I think we can honestly say that is a pretty low bar. :lol:

I haven't looked at EPGC since the author made a few improvements in Nov/Dec. I just didn't want to go through the pain of getting it running again, but I am interested in how it is now.

If someone wants to spare me the time and effort and send me their MXF file, I can take a look to see what will/will not work the way WMC has always worked due to the program IDs, series IDs, generic flags, .... Just zip it up and send to support@garyan2.net.
- Gary

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm

TheReducer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am Is anyone else having problems with prime time TV guide information being wrong every night for the last couple of weeks as well as all the upcoming days in the guide so far?

I missed this before. If your shows are off by hours, I ran into a case where mine were off by 5 hours when testing EPG Collector. When your setting up your location for your XML file, you need to set your time Zone, Set it to -local- Not your actual time zone. This fixed my issue.

And it is a documented issue.
garyan2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 am
DavidinCT wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pmMy WMC now at it's current state is better than it has ever been on ROVI...
I think we can honestly say that is a pretty low bar. :lol:

I haven't looked at EPGC since the author made a few improvements in Nov/Dec. I just didn't want to go through the pain of getting it running again, but I am interested in how it is now.

If someone wants to spare me the time and effort and send me their MXF file, I can take a look to see what will/will not work the way WMC has always worked due to the program IDs, series IDs, generic flags, .... Just zip it up and send to support@garyan2.net.
Yea, your right, a fairly low bar but, for the MOST part with Rovi, shows recorded, and MOST repeats didn't, maybe 25% of the images were right... but, your right, :lol:

I'm interested in sending you my MXF that EPG Collector created from Zap2it... The ONLY issue with my new setup is all the recorded shows (that worked from Zap2it with Zap2XML program, then coverted with the java program) don't work after converting it with EPG Collector, data is taken from Zap2it... Would love to know your thoughts here.

Edit: Just sent my MXF to you Gary...

If anyone else is interested how I got this all working with CableTV, Zap2it and EPG Collector... Let me know, it will be long but, I should be able to document it all.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

renojim

Post by renojim » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:13 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm If anyone else is interested how I got this all working with CableTV, Zap2it and EPG Collector... Let me know, it will be long but, I should be able to document it all.
I'm interested, although I'm using OTA, not cable. I've been using a modified version of the Java xml2xmf program and I have it all automated, but I'm not real happy with my modifications. With EPG Collector. do things like local news programs show up as series? I had to kludge the Java program to force the issue as I wanted to be able to schedule local news as a series. I noticed the Zap2it XML set the isSeries flag, but didn't assign an episode number, so the Java program didn't pass on the series info to the XMF.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm

renojim wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:13 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm If anyone else is interested how I got this all working with CableTV, Zap2it and EPG Collector... Let me know, it will be long but, I should be able to document it all.
I'm interested, although I'm using OTA, not cable. I've been using a modified version of the Java xml2xmf program and I have it all automated, but I'm not real happy with my modifications. With EPG Collector. do things like local news programs show up as series? I had to kludge the Java program to force the issue as I wanted to be able to schedule local news as a series. I noticed the Zap2it XML set the isSeries flag, but didn't assign an episode number, so the Java program didn't pass on the series info to the XMF.
I schedule world news on ABC to record every day, just keeping one Episode... and it's been recording fine and is scheduled. Local news is the same thing, it shows as a series (it offers me to record it as a series, I tried on 4 different local news broadcasts), and is colored as news. Pretty much all the categories show up as their colors...something I could not get working on the java versions. I DID read (not sure if it's fixed) some children based colors were not working but, that was about it.

There is a lot of limits on the Java versions, I played around with it and used it, I wanted to see if it's possible to get more and think I was successful with it..

The ONLY bug I saw is about my recorded shows... It worked fine on the Java versions (after importing in with EPG123's tool) but, when I moved to EPG collector, I had to manually put them in, it didn't accept them.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave