Microsoft ending EPG for WMC in January

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: WMC 7 EPG cut-off for January 2020

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm

mattiedread wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:13 pm
Can anyone post a bit about the various alternatives, price, reliability, configurability etc?
Everyone's giving you alternatives to WMC. If you're asking about alternative guide listing providers that you can use with your existing WMC, then off the top of my head I can only think of three:
  1. EPG123 by garyan2 (Free but you need a $25 per year subscription from Schedules Direct, SUPER reliable, easily configurable)
  2. EPG Collector (Free, somewhat reliable, decently configurable but tedious) [See this post]
  3. zap2xml - Uses either the Zap2it or TV Guide listings (Free, pretty reliable, highly configurable but you need to stay on top of it)
Even though two of these are essentially no cost, I'd still recommend EPG123 because it's so much better than the other two. I've used all three and I've opted for EPG123 as my WMC guide provider for more reasons than I can list. The bottom line is that EPG123 is a "set it and forget it" program and has a "swiss army knife" set of tools.

If this wasn't what you were asking about, please accept my apologies!

jimnms

Post by jimnms » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 pm
This popped up on my WMC on opening this morning. Fortunately I already have EPG123...time to make a donation.
I got that message too after applying updates and restarting. It crashed every time I selected learn more, so I'm wondering what I'm supposed to learn from that. :wtf:

I suspected this was coming since Win7's EOL is coming in January too, but I was already planning do ditch cable at the end of the month when the last of the shows I watch end. I've pretty much been sticking to cable just for a few shows. Now the last of those have ended or are ending their series, so there's no reason to keep paying for cable when there's nothing good to watch anymore. A few shows I still watch I can get OTA, so I'm going to upgrade the machine to Win10, get an antenna and look for some recording software that works with my tuner and Win10.

kansanian

Post by kansanian » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 am

jimnms wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm
Paul Anderegg wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 pm
This popped up on my WMC on opening this morning. Fortunately I already have EPG123...time to make a donation.
I got that message too after applying updates and restarting. It crashed every time I selected learn more, so I'm wondering what I'm supposed to learn from that. :wtf:

I suspected this was coming since Win7's EOL is coming in January too, but I was already planning do ditch cable at the end of the month when the last of the shows I watch end. I've pretty much been sticking to cable just for a few shows. Now the last of those have ended or are ending their series, so there's no reason to keep paying for cable when there's nothing good to watch anymore. A few shows I still watch I can get OTA, so I'm going to upgrade the machine to Win10, get an antenna and look for some recording software that works with my tuner and Win10.
Yeah, sad that MS still doesn't care.
IMO, there still isn't anything that competes with WMC.

Also considering canning cable. Still not sure I see any alternative I want to mess with for OTA. It already works great for that for me.

Thought about other things, tried several, still haven't seen anything that compares fully. So many things WMC does that almost no other thing does. As well. As fully. As easily.

Time to donate again soon to EPG123. Very thankful someone stepped up and did such great work on this.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm

I wonder why they never put Media Center in the store or charge for the epg there as a subscription. They missed a way to make some money.