Some Channels won't record with WMC but do with NextPVR

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
lostgreycells

HTPC Specs: Show details

Some Channels won't record with WMC but do with NextPVR

Post by lostgreycells » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

With just a handful of channels hitting "record" yields NO RESPONSE (does nothing) on my Win7 WMC setup. (EPG123) Those same channels can SUCCESSFULLY record using my other CPU loaded with Win10 using NextPVR. (HD Homerun 3 tuners, schedules direct)

Can someone help me figure out how to fix this?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 pm

lostgreycells wrote:With just a handful of channels hitting "record" yields NO RESPONSE (does nothing) on my Win7 WMC setup. (EPG123) Those same channels can SUCCESSFULLY record using my other CPU loaded with Win10 using NextPVR. (HD Homerun 3 tuners, schedules direct)

Can someone help me figure out how to fix this?
Sounds like your recorder's are disabled for those channels. Go into WMC setup and edit the channel sources... make sure the tuners are enabled.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks Gary! I had already checked the guide/edit channel to check the lineup making sure the channels in question are checked. They are. Earlier today from the client side I already successfully saved a backup, then had EPG123 rebuild the database. Everything's green. So, still clueless. Since the channels in question are pretty minor I'm not in cardiac arrest over it. But curious :)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Not sure if you went far enough... sorry, don't have WMC in front of me, but when you went into the 'Edit channels' screen, did you then select a channel and 'Edit Sources'? When you edit the sources, you will see all your tuners that are enabled to record on that specific channel. If all are unchecked, then you can't record that channel though you can still watch it.
- Gary

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Maybe I'm checking in the wrong area. The "Edit channels" screen in "Settings/TV/Guide/Edit Channels" just comes up with boxes which can be checked on or off. The channels in question are all checked. No options exist to "Edit Sources". (HDHomerun has all of these channels showing for all three sources, and EPG123 has them all showing in client and configuration pages.

I'm wondering if there's an issue with my Win7 OS causing this. I tried to update HDHomerun and it came up with a failure due to my lack of a C++ package. I didn't make a screenshot at the time and subsequent update attempts wouldn't open the update option for me to get more information. If I'm at a dead end trying for a fix, thanks so much for trying!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 pm

In the edit channels screen, select a channel and should go to a new screen where you can edit the source, rename, edit listings....
- Gary

lostgreycells

Post by lostgreycells » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:32 pm

THANK YOU! I can record! After I clicked on the channel NAMES (not the numbers) I was able to check the boxes (which were inexplicably unchecked) for all three tuners. You've helped me get to the boxes and understand they must be checked to enable recording. Sorry to take up so much of your time.