The end is nigh?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
oakley516

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by oakley516 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 pm

GnatGoSplat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 pm Huge difference though, you can actually buy a hammer. Pay once and you own it. A recurring fee is just a rental. Refusing to pay for Tivo and ReplayTV subs is what drove me to WMC in the first place over 15yrs ago.

I will try free solutions like EPG Collector before I say goodbye to WMC, but I'd switch to Amazon Fire TV Recast before paying recurring fees in spite of the poor reviews.
You're not really "renting" anything with the annual guide subscription.

You are buying one year's worth of guide data. You can continue to own that data after the year ends. It will be useless, but you can still own it.

It only recurs each year because you'll want to buy next year's guide data too ;)

stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 pm

It all depends what services you are willing to pay for. You obviously are paying for internet connectivity on a recurring basis (Unless you are camping on to your neighbor's WiFi) :)
As other have pointed out It's not the same as buying a hammer since it's a different "hammer" every year (think of it as buying a hammer that wears out every year and needs replacing)