Need help with ClearQAM and EPG. HomeRun Extend

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
camfixer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need help with ClearQAM and EPG. HomeRun Extend

Post by camfixer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi. I am new here, but not new to WMC. I am new to digital cable TV. I have been using WMC in an all analog setup for about 5 years on OTA using a kluge of HP dual analog tuner and DTT901 converter boxes used as set top boxes with IR blaster. I used this for DVR, mostly time-shifting current series shows on major networks plus old movies. This has worked quite well with older analog TV's but now I am moving into the digital age and having trouble. I hope to get some help.

I moved to an apartment, bought a new Samsung NU8000 TV, an HD HomeRun Extend, and improved a dual core windows 7 pc with an EVGA GT710 card for the HDMI capabilities. In an attempt to "get back" what I was used to with OTA, I successfully made a setup for OTA using an antenna in a window. I have internet service and the WMC guide for OTA works perfectly. This setup works but signal strength is marginal. I may try a better antenna, but would also like to explore a different path.

The apartment has included cable service in my rent and I would like to record from it. I have 94 channels of clearQAM when I rescan the HD HomeRun Extend on the cable using the Silicon Dust setup software. I can view these channels using the HD HomeRun setup software so I know they are being received by the Extend. No additional box is necessary and they are not encrypted. The problem begins when I try to work with WMC. I go to settings - TV - TV signal and do a fresh setup of TV channels. WMC does not come up automatically with the perfect setup so I have to work manually with it. WMC comes up with suggestions for guide for my zip code and *surprise* has a selection for my exact apartment building. I select that and it scans 90 plus channels as it should. They show up in the guide as 7001.2 7001.3 etc to 7001.97. But there is no guide data! I can click on the individual channels and get live TV but have no guide. I even tried rescan using the comcast guide which I know has data (I used it on my old analog setup), and I still have no data. I also tried disabling the WMC feature, deleting the ehome folder, and re-enabling WMC feature, starting over from scratch.

I am out of my depth with clearQAM and digital cable in general. I am probably missing something very simple. Please help if you can.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Did you run the Digital Cable Advisor in WMC first? In my experience, if you don't do that, even though you can force a manual detection of tuners and channels, nothing will work.

camfixer

Post by camfixer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to think I had posted on the wrong forum!

I downloaded Digital Cable Advisor and ran it. The memory and processor passed, but my brand new EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB card did not pass. This is surprising to me. It is not the latest gamer card, but this is windows 7 and it should be OK. I checked the drivers and they are dated March 2018 and show to be the best drivers according to Microsoft. What could be wrong?

camfixer

Post by camfixer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:34 pm

I wonder if maybe I am posting this call for help on the wrong forum. Any input, please? Suggestions for a more suitable place?