Strange guide issues after September 10th rescan

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
elhuevon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange guide issues after September 10th rescan

Post by elhuevon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm

All OTA in Utah had to be rescanned. Now I have a weird issue. After I type in a zip code I'm presented with four options:
1 Salt lake City digital
2 Salt lake City OTA Antenna
3 Salt lake City/Surro digital
4 Salt lake City/Surro OTA Antenna

Option 1 and 3 get all the correctly tuned channels but no guide data (No Data Available).
Options 2 and 4 get the old channel setting but the guide data is complete.

My guess is 1 and 3 were updated first in anticipation of the change over but guide data was never added.
Why there are four options to begin with I'll never know.

In summary, option 1 has correct channels but no program data. Item 2 has the wrong channel data but the right guide data.
Can I combine the two?

I ran the reset task (forgot it blows out scheduled programs dangit). Moved the dbs and cache folders. It must be the guide data itself right?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:43 am

You can load the scheduled programs from the backup, assuming you still have the backups (reset may wipe them out).

Look up your lineup on tvguide.com. The lineups on there are from Rovi/TiVo so should match what you get on WMC. It is easier to enter different nearby zip codes and find a lineup that works for you, then use that same zip code and lineup in WMC.

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 pm

tvguide.com is similar:
Broadcast TV (Salt Lake City/Surro) (Digital (non-rebuild))
Broadcast TV (Salt Lake City/Surro) (OTA Broadcast)

Central and Northern Utah all have the same guide. I tried zip codes 100 and 150 miles away, same results.

Its not a lineup issue. All four of the options in the OP give the same lineup. The difference is guide data vs channel frequency. Either the channel frequency is correct but no guide data or the channel frequency is wrong but the guide data is perfect. If only I could combine the correct channel frequencies with the correct guide data.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Can't you download the lineup with the guide data and then do a scan to get all the stations on the correct frequencies? Then manually associate the guide listings with the scanned channels?

LineupSelector will let you merge lineups. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z8z0fpksqpwu ... y.zip?dl=0

Just set up WMC with one of the lineups, then immediately re-setup WMC with the other lineup. Then run LineupSelector and merge the two setups. If you've already set up WMC and tried both lineups, then all you need to do is run LineupSelector to merge them.

You'll probably have to hand edit the guide and disable those channels that dont work and associate the good channels with the program listings. It's a lot of work.

Or just wait a few days for Rovi to sort things out, but you'll be without a guide for that time.
Last edited by dmagerl on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bez7

Post by bez7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm in Utah as wel, use epg123, I just tried it and now have all my channels back. I stupidly tried reinitializing WMC first so lost all my recording settings. Only downside is paying $25 a year for the schedule data...

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 pm

dmagerl wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 pm Can't you download the lineup with the guide data and then do a scan to get all the stations on the correct frequencies? Then manually associate the guide listings with the scanned channels?

LineupSelector will let you merge lineups. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z8z0fpksqpwu ... y.zip?dl=0

Just set up WMC with one of the lineups, then immediately re-setup WMC with the other lineup. Then run LineupSelector and merge the two setups. If you've already set up WMC and tried both lineups, then all you need to do is run LineupSelector to merge them.

You'll probably have to hand edit the guide and disable those channels that dont work and associate the good channels with the program listings. It's a lot of work.

Or just wait a few days for Rovi to sort things out, but you'll be without a guide for that time.
If I went the reprogram route, how do you do that? If the guide says channel 5.1 is actually using 70.1, but that's the old frequency it needs to be 30.1. Where do you change that?

Tell me more about Lineup Selector. What files does it use to merge? Does it need .net or some such?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 pm

There are two channel numbers used when adding a channel. First is the logical channel, thats 24.1. Then there's the actual physical channel its broadcasting on. That would be channel 30 (using your example). The number that WMC provides, 30.1, is wrong. WMC erroneously adds the decimal point to the actual channel. Without knowing your city and the station call sign, thats as specific as I can get.

To add a channel, go to settings/tv/guide/add missing channel/add dtv channel.

The first number you enter is the logical channel, 24.1 The second number is the actual physical channel that it's broadcast on (no decimal points!) You can go to tvfool.com, enter your location, and get all that info. Name it something easily identified, like NewChannel, because you will end up with two 24.1 entries in the guide, the downloaded channel and the channel you just entered.

Lineupselector lets you merge guides from different areas. I live between Chicago and Milwaukee. I first setup WMC with Milwaukee, then set it up with Chicago, then use Lineupselector to merge the two listings into one. Its probably easiest to just download it and play with it to see how it works.

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Lineup selector is pretty cool and I thought it fixed the problem. Turns out the "2 Salt lake City OTA Antenna" option was updated at the same time I was trying out Lineup selector. So we're good now. Thanks for all the suggestions. Is there a way to tag this "Closed"?

John UTAZ

Post by John UTAZ » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:48 pm

elhuevon... I was just going to ask if you had made any progress on this one. I have the same problem but created a not-so-clean work around. Thanks for posting.