Guide not downloading

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
dottier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide not downloading

Post by dottier » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:44 am

Windows 7 64bit, hauppauge tuner, OTA reception fine. Internet fine.

Guide says it is downloading but isn’t.
The only error in the event viewer is
“Failed to retrieve net tv
(Error: package name is invalid)”

This happened on the last guide update.
I uninstalled and reinstalled WMC and it worked.
Not this time. It said data was downloaded successfully,
But guide shows “no data available”.

Otherwise everything is working well.

dottier

Post by dottier » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 pm

This morning the guide has downloaded successfully.
But I find wmc is not recognizing my internet connection even though it is good, shows in taskbar. Browser works.
So I am assuming the problem is not solved permanently.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mandrake72

Post by Mandrake72 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:56 pm

I am having the same problem. I get no data available in the guide and it appears that WMC is unable to access the internet even though I can with a browser on the same computer.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I’ve tried a system restore to an earlier point as there was an update at about the time this happened but to no avail.
Even with firewall turned off, same problem.

WMC is my main DVR and entertainment for my house so ANY help is greatly appreciated.

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:31 pm

If Media Center is having difficulty connecting to the internet, I recommend rebooting your router(s). Do a hard reboot by unplugging the power to your router, waiting 30 seconds and plug it back in, let the router reboot. If you have multiple routers unplug all of them before plugging any of them back in.

Russia is actively engaged in cyber war with the entire US. The FBI has warned all Americans to go through the router reboot process because of this issue. I recommend rebooting routers once a week because of this cyber war.

If that does not fix the issue try clearing the DNS cache by opening an elevated (administrator) command prompt and issuing the following command ipconfig /flushdns

dottier

Post by dottier » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks, but That didn't help. I unplug my modem every night anyway. Dns dump didn't help.
Also getting an ip address conflict so I did the routine to refresh the ip address on both computers.
Still didn't work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled WMC an hour ago and now it is updated.
Kind of a long routine to go through every 2 wks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:51 am

Next time, from a command prompt, try to run "START /WAIT C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf". This forces an update of all packages and subscriptions and usually does the trick to unclog the machine. This will, however, reset the default tuner limit back to 4 so the next time you perform a TV Setup, only 4 will be available. Of course, if you only have 4 or less, it is no impact to you.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io