Missing Season and Episode Data

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
blahdc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missing Season and Episode Data

Post by blahdc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi All - Running into a strange problem with WMC on Windows 7. Lately a lot of my shows that I am recording are not able to detect the season or episode number, only picking up the title of the show. Is this something to do with the guide?

Anyone run into this before?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 am

Season and episode numbers are not available with the standard/free guide data on WMC. If you want that info, you can use EPG123 with a Scheduled Direct subscription. If you already use EPG123, then you should have probably posted this in the EPG123 subforum.

blahdc

Post by blahdc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 am

Space wrote:Season and episode numbers are not available with the standard/free guide data on WMC. If you want that info, you can use EPG123 with a Scheduled Direct subscription. If you already use EPG123, then you should have probably posted this in the EPG123 subforum.
Strange. I would say currently half of my tv shows are able to pickup the season and episode number without a problem. I then use MCEBuddy to convert them and cut the commercials out. Maybe I should try scheduled direct subscription. It just seemed odd that I all of the sudden just started having this problem.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 am

It's possible that MCEBuddy pulls the season/episode info for a show based on it's title, OAD, etc. but I don't know much about that. If that is the case, then your problem is with MCEBuddy.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:43 pm

blahdc wrote:
Space wrote:Season and episode numbers are not available with the standard/free guide data on WMC. If you want that info, you can use EPG123 with a Scheduled Direct subscription. If you already use EPG123, then you should have probably posted this in the EPG123 subforum.
Strange. I would say currently half of my tv shows are able to pickup the season and episode number without a problem. I then use MCEBuddy to convert them and cut the commercials out. Maybe I should try scheduled direct subscription. It just seemed odd that I all of the sudden just started having this problem.
I have WMC Free guide with MCEbuddy and it works with no trouble getting Season/episode data you don't need TO PAY !

MCEBuddy can extract metadata in many ways from a file, summarizing the sequence:

1.Extract from WTV and DVRMS file using Windows DirectShow filters (see this thread on how to install the filters in Windows Servers)

2.Extract from containers that support metadata like MP4, MKV, M4V, AVI, MP3 and WMV

3.Extract from proprietary recording software containers like TiVO, PlayLater

4.Extract using supporting metadata files like XML, NFO and PROPERTIES from Media Portal, nPVR, ICETv, SageTV, ArgusTV, XBMC and Channels DVR (these will overwrite any data extracted above)

5.If none of the above work, then MCEBudddy look at extracting metadata from the filename. Currently it supports the following formats:

•SHOWNAME_AIRDATE_AIRTIME.<ext> where AIRDATE is in YYYYMMDD format and AIRTIME is in HHMMHHMM (Start and End) format (AIRTIME is optional)

•MOVIE_IMDBID.<ext> or SHOWNAME_IMDBID.<ext> where IMDBID is the imdb id for the Movie or Episode (Showname taken from title)

•MOVIE (YEAR).<ext> where YEAR is the year in which the Movie was released

•SHOWNAME.SxxEyy.SUBTITLE.<ext> where SUBTITLE is the Episode name of the Season xx Episode yy of the Show. The dot can be substituted with a space, dash or any character (MCEBuddy will ignore it).

•SHOWNAME.XXxYY.SUBTITLE.<ext> where SUBTITLE is the Episode name of the Season XX Episode YY of the Show. The dot can be substituted with a space, dash or any character and there may or may not be a space before and after the Season (XX) and Episodes (YY) and MCEBuddy will ignore it.
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:05 am

WMC recording files do not, and have never contained, any series or episode numbers in the metadata... there just is no definition for it. You are getting your series/episode number from another source which is probably MCEBuddy which makes calls to TheTVDB to figure it out.

I don't know where I found it, it's been a while, there is a program called EditDvrmsMetadata by Stephen Toub which will let you look at and edit the metadata of DVRMS and WTV files. There is a lot of information in the metadata, but none of it is for series or episode. Maybe RecordedTV HD if you have it installed.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:14 am

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/toub/2 ... -metadata/

Link to the download is at the end of the article (EditDvrmsMetadata.zip link). The "download" link within body of the article does not work.