Guide Data Outage - 2018 Spring Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Data Outage - 2018 Spring Edition

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:25 am

On March 11, 2018 we will Spring Forward. It will be interesting if EPG Guide problems begin around this date.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 am

Yes we need this topic three months in advance. In the meantime, I’ll take bets whether there will be problems or not. I’ll start with yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 am

Yeah, problems usually start about 2 months prior, don't they?

JohnnyBluRay

Post by JohnnyBluRay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:39 pm

With only a few days left until DST change, looks like WMC EPG is beginning to crash. Noticed this morning about 80-90% of the Guide Data is missing.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Can you elaborate? My guide has been updating regularly and I haven't notice anything missing (after quickly scanning the guide).

I've been receiving daily updates on a normal basis for the most part. One thing I did notice is that there was no new update yesterday, however I received a regular update today (at the normal time I've been getting them lately, around 2pm ET) which included 2 days of new data (guide now ends at 3/16 @ 8pm ET).

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:53 am

JohnnyBluRay wrote:With only a few days left until DST change, looks like WMC EPG is beginning to crash. Noticed this morning about 80-90% of the Guide Data is missing.
Yeah, I’m seeing it too. Guide data ends on the 11th for me.

I have been playing with Plex DVR but without full CableCard support (DRM) for premium channels it can only cover about 90% of the channels I want to make use of. There is also no support for the Hauppauge HD PVR and Colossus in Plex third party or otherwise. I’ve been looking into other solutions such as NextPVR but nothing really does what Media Center does.

I’m running DVBLink for Hauppauge HD PVR with Media Center and unfortunately it is now abandonware. There is a key necessary to use it and no new key requests are honored as far as I know so a fresh install isn’t possible. This puts me in the position of not wanting to make any significant changes such as switching to EPG123 at least not on this system.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:35 am

As indicated in my prior post, I am not seeing any missing data (I now have data up to 3/19 @7pm ET).

However I am seeing that yesterday's update was the same as the day before (even though it had a current timestamp). The update came in at it's normal time (around 2pm ET) however there was another update this morning at 2:21am ET which was also a duplicate of the prior two updates.

I am not sure if the problem is DST related, but it does look like there is some issue that hopefully will be resolved (perhaps after DST passes?).

I think when the timestamp on the *.enc file has a significant change like that, it means some manual intervention was done (just my speculation), so perhaps they are aware of the issue and are attempting to resolve it. But like I said, if it is a problem with DST, it is unlikely they have anyone on the job that can fix it (needs development support). If it is due to DST, then it will hopefully fix itself after the DST change has happened.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 pm

In the past, incorrect Time has caused big problems with my EPG. As a Test, what would happen if we...

Spring Forward "Early"?

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Well once again around time change day, the EPG hasn't updated for two days now. Microsoft had been doing so well for the past few months with daily updates, now we have the old glitch of updates stopping near the date of the time change.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 pm

davidhp wrote:Well once again around time change day, the EPG hasn't updated for two days now. Microsoft had been doing so well for the past few months with daily updates, now we have the old glitch of updates stopping near the date of the time change.
Yes, it has been 125 days since the last incident (I consider an "incident" to be where the guide data drops to less than 7 days remaining). Hopefully this will be fixed after the clocks are changed tonight and we won't have to reset the incident timer... :-)

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I just noticed that Microsoft has pulled Microsoft Connect so we can't submit new tickets for outages, If this isn't fixed in a couple of days I will email Rovi and ask them to contact Microsoft since we can't do it on Microsoft Connect anymore.

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 am

Actually I have guide data up to the 12th but not for all channels. Effectively I’m out of data and will be missing some scheduled recordings tonight.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 am

Has anyone here done the WMC/win7 time fix?

Does the fix make any difference, as to whether you have guide data or not, or if you are fixed does it give you more then someone who's not fixed.

I kind of doubt it makes any difference but I was just curious.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the janitor over at Microsoft accidentally gives that old computer at kick in the butt to get it going again.

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 am

The data here (ATSC San Jose, CA) ends on the 18th, not horrible, but not great

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:33 am

I sent an email to Rovi/Tivo today asking them to contact Microsoft and let them know that we are experiencing the Day Light Savings Time Change Outage and please fix it.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Guide data for Los Angeles Spectrum Cable runs just a week (ends Mon March 19). Noticed that Zap2It also had a time problem with their schedule is off by an hour after the time change. It always seems that when the DST rolls in that the feeds to Rovi experience a problem. Hopefully they'll get it fixed quickly.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Mind numbing how predictable this is. Madam Secretary was incorrectly marked as Repeat, several episodes of Victoria also.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

rickmktg wrote:Mind numbing how predictable this is. Madam Secretary was incorrectly marked as Repeat, several episodes of Victoria also.
If you set the Series to "New & Rerun" and only on a specific channel, you will have less problems. Reruns will not record if they have already been recorded in the past, but if the OAD date is wrong on a new episode, it will still record because WMC sees it as a rerun that it has not recorded before.

Problems with this method are if the target channel runs a lot of old reruns from previous seasons (such as the Fox affiliate running old repeats of "The Simpsons" during the day) in which case it will record many more episodes than you want. Also, it is possible that the guide will misidentify an episode as a prior episode (such as if an episode was moved to a week later at the last minute), in this case WMC will record it the first time it sees it in the guide (and it will not really be that episode) and it will not record it when it appears again in the guide the following week. But this second problem would happen regardless of the "New & Rerun" setting.

AChanceFind

Post by AChanceFind » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 am

Sorry was late to the party on this latest outage. My guide shows end date 3/20. Stopped updating days ago although sometimes has downloaded file with nothing in it.

We had a good stable few months. Guess it burped a while back for me also as I did miss an episode of "The Good Doctor" as it was marked repeat but was new and I had to endure the torture or watching it streaming a week late with commercials.

I also noticed "Connect" was taken down with a lot of other customers of some of their other less forgotten products also pissed. Our voices silenced another notch! Searches on twitter for windows media center bring up sites of ill repute... it is sad!

Thanks as always to those who are already trying to reach out. I still have hope that soon an Xbox will foretell of data updates approaching from afar as in so many cycles of the past ! :thumbup:

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Any updates on people getting guide data would be great!