Thursday's Young Sheldon and The Orville marked as repeat

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
dmagerl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Thursday's Young Sheldon and The Orville marked as repeat

Post by dmagerl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am

Tomorrow's episodes of these shows (11/9/17) are both listed as repeats and depending on your series settings, may not record. The original air date is a week ago and I'm pretty sure the episode descriptions are new and werent broadcast last week.

EPG123 data appears to list things correctly.

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 am

I have found many shows on CBS marked as repeats. Now I found some on Fox too.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 am

The issue of Rovi/TiVo data having incorrect "Original Air Dates" is a long and cherished tradition that they are apparently proud of. Don't expect it to change, as they think it is perfectly fine to have incorrect information in their data.

I was hoping once TiVo started using this data for their DVRs that it would change and they would start caring, but I was wrong. TiVo considers any airing of an episode that is within 30 days of the OAD to be "new" (WMC uses 7 days). So I guess, for them, as long as the OAD is not off by more than 30 days it is OK in their book.

But I think I am fooling myself; I don't think they would care regardless of how TiVo DVRs behave.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

It's amazing how crappy the data is. I missed both Seal Team and Chicago PD last night. Young Sheldon was set to be missed tonight, Poldark on Sunday (but not the following Sunday), Seal Team and Chicago PD next week. I have now gone in and changed many to New and Rerun, which is ridiculous.

Appears that Speechless, The Good Doctor and Designated Survivor skipped a week.

And even if I change away from Microsoft supplying the data update, the quality doesn't change with a different source, correct?
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:47 pm

The quality of Gracenote (the source of data provided through Schedules Direct and used by EPG123) is much better when it comes to OAD in particular. Plus EPG123 has the ability to force the OAD to be the air date for shows that have the "NEW" flag in the source.

My general advice is to not use "New" Series with Microsoft/Rovi/TiVo data (use New & rerun). For Gracenote, it is fine to use the "New" setting for recording first-run episodes.

Even if you use "New & rerun" it is still possible to miss a new episode. This can happen if an episode is scheduled for one time and is changed to another time in a relatively short time-frame. If WMC thinks it recorded an episode already it will not re-record it, even if the OAD has changed or it is marked as "NEW" in the source data. This particular problem affects both Gracenote and Microsoft/Rovi/TiVo data, although it is less likely to happen with Gracenote since they tend to update more quickly and changes to the schedule are more likely to be reflected in the data so that WMC will not think it already recorded an episode. However it's impossible to avoid this problem for last-minute changes. In general I'd say if the change occurs a couple days before the show was originally schedule to air, Gracenote will update in time. Microsoft/Rovi/Tivo simply does not work that fast and can take several more days to update their data.