Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.

Re: Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Post#1601 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:48 am

Looks like the guide updates may be failing again. This time it's a bit different than failure scenarios I've seen in the past.

One of the normal failure scenarios is that the EpgListing*.enc file is downloaded and it has the same contents as the one that was downloaded the prior day. However, the timestamp on the new file (which indicates the date/time that the file was created by Microsoft) has changed, indicating that the file was re-created (most likely from the same stale source data as the previous day's update which is why it has the same data).

Now, we have the same scenario of a file that is a duplicate of the previous day, however the timestamp is also exactly the same as the previous day.

This seems to indicate that the process that generates the data file hasn't even run and somehow the server is just making the same data file available to download again. Normally if there is no new data, WMC will just come back within a short while with a "guide data downloaded successfully" message without actually downloading anything. But that is not what is happening this time for some unknown reason.

The date on my data file is 10/10 @ 11:15pm ET, so it's been this way for 2 days now.

If I try to download again, then I get the standard "guide data downloaded successfully" after about 10 seconds.

So, for now, it looks like it is in a state of downloading the exact same file every day with the file not having a new timestamp like it normally does in this situation.
Space
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: 2 June 2013

Post#1602 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:18 am

fleanote wrote:10.12.17 Update - I went back to the old method to fix the guide; I ran TV Setup again, chose a zip code out of my area, let WMC setup complete. It will start to download the guide for the bad zipcode - let it! And leave the WMC alone for at least 2 hours while it does it. When it completed, I launched the TV guide and sure enough all channel listings were back (albeit for the wrong TV Provider/carrier). At this point, run TV setup again, switch back to your real zip code and complete the setup. Wait another 1-2 hours for the guide to come in. Working for me so far although I can't confirm If I will get rolling 2wk updates as I should. I'll post again if there's an issue. It may not be necessary to wait "1-2hrs' for the guide to download itself, but its definitely a step you don't want to rush. Confirm the wrong zip guide is working BEFORE you switch back to the actual one for your area.


I'll give this a try, as I'm on the same Verizon FIOS service. This may be a localized problem. I had a good update 4 days ago that had good data for today. Today I have no data for any of the premium/cable channels.
RSaunders
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 August 2012

Post#1603 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm on Comcast in King of Prussia, PA, and I am now missing guide data for a subset of channels... AGAIN. :(

If the folks at EPG123 could make a reliable upgrade path that didn't involve nuking my WMC system, I'd start paying them in a heartbeat for guide reliability at this point.
JonDeutsch
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 1 August 2011

Post#1604 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 pm

UPDATE: mcupdate -uf seemed to have resolved the issue for me.

JonDeutsch wrote:I'm on Comcast in King of Prussia, PA, and I am now missing guide data for a subset of channels... AGAIN. :(

If the folks at EPG123 could make a reliable upgrade path that didn't involve nuking my WMC system, I'd start paying them in a heartbeat for guide reliability at this point.
JonDeutsch
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 1 August 2011

Post#1605 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 pm

After 6 days of updates with no new data, we're now about to drop below 7 days of stale schedule data. Actual data ends at 8 pm EDT Oct 23.

email and/or call Rovi or it's unlikely to be fixed. The more complaints, the faster it gets fixed and more likely to improve for a while.
anotheruser
 
Posts: 130
Joined: 22 July 2015

Post#1606 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 am

I emailed Rovi earlier today. Sure was promising there for a while with the regular updates.
User avatar
WC_Barnstormer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 April 2016

Post#1607 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am

Generic placeholder listings AGAIN for late night and day time talk shows with no guest info. Friday the 13th was spooky for listings for sure. :)


OTA Philly market.
Jimi
jimi1000
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 December 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#1608 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 am

I also sent an email to Rovi today asking they work with Microsoft to fix this Again.
davidhp
 
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 March 2014

Post#1609 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 am

Same here. What's the email address for Rovi for these issues? Thx.

anotheruser wrote:After 6 days of updates with no new data, we're now about to drop below 7 days of stale schedule data. Actual data ends at 8 pm EDT Oct 23.

email and/or call Rovi or it's unlikely to be fixed. The more complaints, the faster it gets fixed and more likely to improve for a while.
JonDeutsch
 
Posts: 52
Joined: 1 August 2011

Post#1610 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 am

Tivo Contact Info: 1-866-686-8947

1) https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html Fill out form selecting User Experience for the EPG

2) metadatasupport@tivo.com DATA Client Services (Best Email Address to use for reporting issues.)

3) salesforceadmin@tivo.com This is the email address that Tivo responds from.

I recommend doing both 1 & 2. 1 creates a case and 2 is direct to the metadata support. Calling and leaving a message is good too.

Hope this helps
User avatar
WC_Barnstormer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 April 2016

Post#1611 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks WC_Barnstormer. I filled out the form and referenced the link to this discussion.
DFox
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 5 April 2013

Post#1612 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Received email back from ROVI saying Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on it.
davidhp
 
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 March 2014

Post#1613 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 am

David, Which method of contact did you use. I still have not gotten a reply from Rovi but am glad you did. Thanks for the update.
User avatar
WC_Barnstormer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 April 2016

Post#1614 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 am

I used the metadatasupport@tivo.com which is the one I always use.
davidhp
 
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 March 2014

Post#1615 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 am

Sent an e-mail to Tivo as well.


Jimi in philly
jimi1000
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 December 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#1616 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:32 am

davidhp wrote:I used the metadatasupport@tivo.com which is the one I always use.


I guess they just like you better than me :clap:
User avatar
WC_Barnstormer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 April 2016

Post#1617 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:
davidhp wrote:I used the metadatasupport@tivo.com which is the one I always use.


I guess they just like you better than me :clap:



I received a response a few minutes ago. : )
Jimi_in_Philly
jimi1000
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 22 December 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#1618 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:11 pm

I received a response at 10:35am today, EDT.
adam1991
 
Posts: 2492
Joined: 11 June 2011

Post#1619 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:Tivo Contact Info: 1-866-686-8947

1) https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html Fill out form selecting User Experience for the EPG

2) metadatasupport@tivo.com DATA Client Services (Best Email Address to use for reporting issues.)

3) salesforceadmin@tivo.com This is the email address that Tivo responds from.

I recommend doing both 1 & 2. 1 creates a case and 2 is direct to the metadata support. Calling and leaving a message is good too.

Hope this helps



I Received a response to the Case I created. I had also asked for proper contact information for reporting these issues to Tivo and was provided with the following information and number:

For product outages and severe service degradation issues that require immediate attention, it is critical for you to report these directly to our support staff by phone.

NORTH AMERICA
(888) 203-2006
User avatar
WC_Barnstormer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 April 2016

Post#1620 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm

I was told "this is Microsoft's problem to fix, and they are aware of it".
adam1991
 
Posts: 2492
Joined: 11 June 2011

PreviousNext

Return to WMC Electronic Program Guide



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron