Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
gary94080

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by gary94080 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 am

data for Comcast in San Francisco market is down to 6 days.

I also want to say that the quality of the data we do have is poor, a lot of generic show descriptions, wrong programs and wrong times.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I have Spectrum TV
(They bought my Brighthouse TV two months ago.)

Last night i noticed (when i scheduled Superbowl 51 to record) that my EPG ended Sun, Feb 05 @6:00P.

But i did just gain two days of EPG by:
1. Made a Full Backup of System... (Must! don't try if u don't.)
2. switched from my current (Spectrum)TV provider to another (ATT Digital)...
3. waited five or more minuets for Guide Error...
4. then switched back to my TV provider...

Now, rather than EPG running out Sun, Feb 05 @6:00PM, it's good until Tue, Feb 07 @6:00PM

(TY again Solo! for the tip last November. :) )

farside847

Post by farside847 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Charter is South Bay CA is also down to 6 days. At least Im not the only one.

dpt17

Post by dpt17 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:19 pm

I have Comcast in NH and my guide data won't update either. I use WMC on Win7 w/ Ceton InfiniTV 4 and HD Homerun Prime. Thanks to all those who push Microsoft and whoever else to get this fixed.

golfit64

Post by golfit64 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Also located in Southern NH. Comcast. Ceton INFITV w/WMC working for years. TV Guide has missing info, won't complete download properly, and expiring Feb 6, 2017 6 AM. Does anyone know if this Rovi vs Comcast suit is coming to a head and perhaps an permanent end?

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/04/06/ro ... /id=68036/

and

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-s ... -roku-faqs

I've tried the XFinity app, and it works pretty well. I'll be damned though, if I'm going to pay a monthly fee for each ROKU that uses it!

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:I have Spectrum TV
(They bought my Brighthouse TV two months ago.)

Last night i noticed (when i scheduled Superbowl 51 to record) that my EPG ended Sun, Feb 05 @6:00P.

But i did just gain two days of EPG by:
1. Made a Full Backup of System... (Must! don't try if u don't.)
2. switched from my current (Spectrum)TV provider to another (ATT Digital)...
3. waited five or more minuets for Guide Error...
4. then switched back to my TV provider...

Now, rather than EPG running out Sun, Feb 05 @6:00PM, it's good until Tue, Feb 07 @6:00PM

(TY again Solo! for the tip last November. :) )
My EPG stopped at 2/7 since the outage started on 1/26.

riker0314

Post by riker0314 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =5&t=10598

there is something about the ms updates for Jan and Feb... i uninstalled them and i could then download the data, however they where corrupt and did not update.

riker0314

Post by riker0314 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 pm

dmike1379

Post by dmike1379 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Same issue here Chicago OTA antenna. Guide update fails i attempted to uninstall the last windows update a reboot 2 times, no luck. Guide date stops Feb 7 too
If it's not fixed by Sunday I'm thinking about switching to NextPVR. Has anyone tried that program before? I have Hauppauge tuners, Hauppauge wintv might be an option.

Just preparing for the worst.
Thanks

vaju0503

Post by vaju0503 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 pm

I think mine downloads the EPG fine but gets an error when it's updating it in WMC. I have some channels that have data out till about Feb 8th or so and other channels that show as completely blank ("No data available")... This was after reinstalling windows completely, so I think the issue isn't downloading the guide but actually loading the data in. I've also uninstalled the January update like they said and have not had success. Hopefully we come to a resolution in the next day or two as it will start to affect my recordings.

cargalmn

Post by cargalmn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Mine runs out Tuesday evening as well. I do not have the security update from January installed (I manually approve each update and delay approving them...). I have zero channels after Tuesday evening, but I only record OTA (MN zip code). Kinda peeved this is happening and it's not March yet. :lol:

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:29 pm

For the past few weeks, downloads have either been good (loading with no errors), or semi-good (loading new data but also returning an error). There were also a few days there where no new data was loaded (it skipped a day).

Currently it appears that the same days data is being downloaded over and over again (the download size is the same each time). So it appears that the problem is that the Microsoft server is not creating an updated file for download.

The reason you are getting an error is probably due to the last "successful" generation of data by Microsoft was one of the semi-good variety. It does not add any new data because your WMC already loaded the data that is in that download.

neal560sl

Post by neal560sl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 pm

I'm in Vermont and have the same issue. Guide data runs out on 2/7/17. When I tell it to update manually, it pops up the icon in the lower right corner showing that it is updating and stays there all day. I am watching nervously for a fix. Keeping fingers crossed.

tecrous

Post by tecrous » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 am

So another user with dead EPG after 6/Feb/2017. US Comcast San Jose Digital (95008) with ceton cable card. I've spent the evening trying to switch over to epg123. Looks nice but ran into a number of issues in the transition that I guess are expected but pretty severe. Pretty much have to wipe the recording schedules and reenter (Sean's WMC Backup didn't seem to help in restoring but no real surprise there). I also ran into issues with the guide data showing "No data available" for about 20 of the 50 channels I downloaded (all HD and usually second tier ones but stuff like msnbc, comedy, disney, history, tlc, food, syfy). The zap2it website has guide info for all of this so presumably some sort of tooling issue.

I suppose I'll ask in other forums to see if this can be addressed then I'll be donating to epg123 author and subscribing for epg just to have some hopeful stability going forward.

I think I backed up the old data correctly so hopefully I can roll back if MS gets EPG working again and I cannot get epg123 working else its finally time to find another solution.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:45 am

tecrous wrote:So another user with dead EPG after 6/Feb/2017. US Comcast San Jose Digital (95008) with ceton cable card. I've spent the evening trying to switch over to epg123. Looks nice but ran into a number of issues in the transition that I guess are expected but pretty severe. Pretty much have to wipe the recording schedules and reenter (Sean's WMC Backup didn't seem to help in restoring but no real surprise there). I also ran into issues with the guide data showing "No data available" for about 20 of the 50 channels I downloaded (all HD and usually second tier ones but stuff like msnbc, comedy, disney, history, tlc, food, syfy). The zap2it website has guide info for all of this so presumably some sort of tooling issue.

I suppose I'll ask in other forums to see if this can be addressed then I'll be donating to epg123 author and subscribing for epg just to have some hopeful stability going forward.

I think I backed up the old data correctly so hopefully I can roll back if MS gets EPG working again and I cannot get epg123 working else its finally time to find another solution.
Unfortunately, Sean's WMC Backup won't help much, if at all, in the transition to epg123. The series IDs between MS/Rovi data and Scheduled Direct is completely different so in effect, useless for future recordings with epg123.

I noticed the loss of some station data as well on my lineup. This has happened a couple times in the past and is usually quickly remediated by SD. I'll send a message/open a ticket with SD to notify them this is going on.

Just hang in there ... everything will be just fine.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:47 am

I can confirm just did a manual update request

Feb 6 at 7pm is when my guide ends.
crapcast delaware

XXXXXXXX

Post by XXXXXXXX » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:23 am

My guide stops 2/8 4:00am here in Phoenix. I hope they get this fixed.

X

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 am

Comcast San Francisco market the Guide information says it is updated to 2/8

the actual data in the Guide runs out around 4 pm 2/6 for HD channels and 4 pm 2/7 for SD channels. beyond that it says no data available.

foose

Post by foose » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 pm

SugarFree wrote:Update 2: MS believes it's a bug - but they can't find it. Yet. Watch this space. :)
Would love an update at the end of today, if possible. Is it the kind of bug they would work on over the weekend?

My guide data runs out on Monday. Trying to decide if I spend the weekend migrating to a new system, or wait with fingers crossed, hoping it will all be working by Monday evening, as it has each time before this.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

foose wrote:
SugarFree wrote:Update 2: MS believes it's a bug - but they can't find it. Yet. Watch this space. :)
Would love an update at the end of today, if possible. Is it the kind of bug they would work on over the weekend?

My guide data runs out on Monday. Trying to decide if I spend the weekend migrating to a new system, or wait with fingers crossed, hoping it will all be working by Monday evening, as it has each time before this.

ditto