Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
SureshotM6

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by SureshotM6 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 am

dabretty wrote:Is it me or ... has the quality of the guide also improved?
I think it may have... WMC has *always* recorded duplicate copies of the same episode of "Always Sunny" when it airs on Wednesdays and reruns later that night. Same goes for "Man Seeking Woman" (also FXX). Now (or for at least the next 2 weeks) it looks like WMC is correctly detecting that the second airing is a rerun of the one it already recorded and skipping it. There were some issues with SyFy that seems to have gone away as well.

Here's hoping.

Les236

Post by Les236 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 am

Les236 wrote:Now that I have my guide, I have duplicates for all of the channels, but only in the guide. If I go to edit the TV channels, there is only one of each, but when I go to the guide I see two, unless I select my favorites. Then there is only one of each channel. The issue is that the guide would show some shows recording on a favorite channel, say 1020 and with the red record indicator on that listing, while the next show would have the blue circle with ! and it would say "Recording on channel 1020". Is this still an issue with the guide listings or does someone know how to get rid of this? Maybe how to delete the listing and reconfigure the tuners?

WMC Win 7 with HDHOMERUN Prime for Brighthouse/Spectrum, HDHOMERUN and Hauppauge dual tuners on terrestrial antenna (7 total). Both the Cable and terrestrial channels are duplicated in the listing.

Thanks,
I am not sure what I did to cause this, but I ran the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in Task Manager, reconfigured my tuners and all is well.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 am

dabretty wrote:Is it me or ... has the quality of the guide also improved? My (admittedly limited) data set is college basketball games, which I'm a fan of. I don't think I see a single "Teams to Be Announced" anywhere, all teams are actually listed. I don't think I've seen this since the Rovi switch.

Maybe Rovi has been watching this forum and seen our comments?
If the data quality is better, it's not because they (Rovi who are now actually known as TiVo) are watching this forum.

The same source data that WMC uses is also now used by TiVo devices, and TiVo users have been complaining since they got switched over months ago. If there is any improvement, I would guess it is because of their complaints and not because of any WMC users complaints (who have been complaining for over 1.5 years with no result).

bouvlover

Post by bouvlover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:02 am

Just wanted to say my guide came back all by itself. This morning when we turned on the TV, it was there. The WMC computer was not turned off or rebooted.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your posts. It save me hours of tinkering with WMC when the guide wouldn't populate. :roll:

simplyclueless

Post by simplyclueless » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 am

I couldn't get mine to work. Rebooted a few times, messed with the hosts file again, but no success. Jumped ship to the guide which will not be named, and everything is working fine at this point, 21 days out.

morbidmadness

Post by morbidmadness » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 am

Mine is not working at all, tried a lot of different things. including a total reformat of the hard drive and reinstall. but no success. after 3pm Tuesday 2/7/17, I will have "no data available".
I'm running windows 7 pro. Southern California area, charter cable. any ideas that might help me?

grantndub

Post by grantndub » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm

bouvlover wrote:Just wanted to say my guide came back all by itself. This morning when we turned on the TV, it was there. The WMC computer was not turned off or rebooted.
This is what happened to me.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm

It's what's supposed to happen, and will happen the next time this happens.

Loss of guide data like this has never been "your computer is screwed up and you need to fiddle with it for the next two weeks". It's always been "MS was lax in keeping the guide service running". For the duration your WMC simply sees either old data, or no data--and it keeps on running. Only MS can fix the guide service itself. Once the guide service is fixed, your WMC sees new data and does its job quietly and correctly, all on its own.

cvguy

Post by cvguy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Guide data updated okay this morning. Apparently they fixed something.
Until the next glitch!

Lexington Kentucky 40515 Time Warner Cable.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

urabus99

Post by urabus99 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Today at 6:30 pm est my Windows 8.1 guide runs out. For some reason I am not able to download new guide listings. I had the same problem with my Win 7, but that guide updated on it's own. Does Microsoft have an answer for this? Thanks!

[Moderator note: topic merged]

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:54 pm

grantndub wrote:
bouvlover wrote:Just wanted to say my guide came back all by itself. This morning when we turned on the TV, it was there. The WMC computer was not turned off or rebooted.
This is what happened to me.
There is a Microsoft forum following this and their advice is to reinstall the program. Who still has their key code?????

Apples to oranges. Can't we just all get along? lol

dottier

Post by dottier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Still can't download TV setup data.
It says it is downloading but does nothing.
I had uninstalled Play Ready, so I downloaded and new copy and installed it.
I use OTA only.
Ruined a couple of days on this so far. Pretty bummed out.

I did this
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... aa920c6d6a
Didn't help.

MC was working fine until I started having trouble downloading the guide for the last week or so. Now I have nothing, except the programs that were recorded earlier.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:12 pm

JonFincherMSFT wrote:I'm glad to see folks are getting updates this morning.

I hadn't been on this thread with updates earlier because I didn't have any - I didn't think regular postings of "We're still working on it..." would be helpful or welcome. Given the length of these threads and the PM's I get, it appears that was a mistake on my part - with apologies for going dark, I'll modify that in the future. As it is, I just got email about 30 minutes ago that this appeared to be fixed on our end - I had no indication of progress until then. To be honest, I saw the positive reports in this forum before I saw the email.

--Jon, MSFT
Jon:

Here's my perspective, others may differ.

The fact that this breaks 3 or 4 times a year is not acceptable. The appearance, whether true or not, is that MS assigns this to the low man on the totem pole and no one watches it. It would be great if it was setup to notify people (more than one) on the MS end when it breaks. The customer should not be telling MS. THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM.

When it breaks, be proactive. Tell us (assuming you put in place something that catches it as I noted above). Communicate often. As you saw, that's what we're looking for. The fact that you got no updates when it was being worked on, and that you learned it was fixed when the customers told you, is a problem. Please get that fixed. We were within roughly 36 hours of no data. I'd love to get "hey guys, sorry but the data isn't being updated as of this morning. As you all have 12 days of data, it should be no issue. We are actively working on it and expect a fix within 48 hours". Followed by "hey guys, we fixed it, you should be all set.".

MS either needs to use Connect or not. We post issues, no one ever responds. If MS isn't using it, shut it down. But gives us a problem-reporting mechanism of some type that people (notice again the use of the plural) monitor.

We appreciate your honesty as to things to do better going forward, hopefully our honesty is also appreciated.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:44 pm

rickmktg wrote:
JonFincherMSFT wrote:I'm glad to see folks are getting updates this morning.

I hadn't been on this thread with updates earlier because I didn't have any - I didn't think regular postings of "We're still working on it..." would be helpful or welcome. Given the length of these threads and the PM's I get, it appears that was a mistake on my part - with apologies for going dark, I'll modify that in the future. As it is, I just got email about 30 minutes ago that this appeared to be fixed on our end - I had no indication of progress until then. To be honest, I saw the positive reports in this forum before I saw the email.

--Jon, MSFT
Jon:

Here's my perspective, others may differ.

The fact that this breaks 3 or 4 times a year is not acceptable. The appearance, whether true or not, is that MS assigns this to the low man on the totem pole and no one watches it. It would be great if it was setup to notify people (more than one) on the MS end when it breaks. The customer should not be telling MS. THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM.

When it breaks, be proactive. Tell us (assuming you put in place something that catches it as I noted above). Communicate often. As you saw, that's what we're looking for. The fact that you got no updates when it was being worked on, and that you learned it was fixed when the customers told you, is a problem. Please get that fixed. We were within roughly 36 hours of no data. I'd love to get "hey guys, sorry but the data isn't being updated as of this morning. As you all have 12 days of data, it should be no issue. We are actively working on it and expect a fix within 48 hours". Followed by "hey guys, we fixed it, you should be all set.".

MS either needs to use Connect or not. We post issues, no one ever responds. If MS isn't using it, shut it down. But gives us a problem-reporting mechanism of some type that people (notice again the use of the plural) monitor.

We appreciate your honesty as to things to do better going forward, hopefully our honesty is also appreciated.
Many thanks to all who threw in their towel to let the big guys aware. I have not had a problem with mine until now and I've been using WMC for many years so I was surprised to hear that it happens on occasion. I am truly grateful that I found this forum as I was close to a meltdown then someone wrote "please be patient". So I did but also I unticked the auto downloads and the optimization and changed the zip codes a few times which I now believe were all for naught. Sometimes you just have to hurry up and wait. (As long as someone!!! is working on the issue).

dottier

Post by dottier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Still have no useful response to my problem except to have it moved to this place. Not really appreciating ms right now. I have already ruined a couple of days on this.

I am unable to download MC tv setup data. It stalls out and runs for hours if I don't cancel it.
Don't know if I am now able to download the guide because I have to run set up first.

I am OTA, 64 bit, fresh Real Player download, no file errors,
did this, didn't help - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... fec58f094e

I am in Phoenix, AZ, not really an out of the way location.
Reinstalled OS last week. Don't want to do that again. no file errors anyway.
internet connection checks out fine.
Don't use this computer for anything else. Anti virus is 360 S C

dottier

Post by dottier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Now all I get is someone acknowledging that somebody else is unhappy with lack of response to problems on even a global scale.

Fatman

Post by Fatman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 pm

My computer rebooted last night. I checked and the guide updated, i think to the 17th? Milwaukee Wi area, over the air channels.

girbabe

Post by girbabe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I too, created an account here if for no other reason than to be counted. I wasted enough of my time trying everything except a reinstall when I found this forum and thankfully it stopped me from imploding. I can't image life without my WMC. The guide finally downloaded on its own and back to normal yesterday here in the Seattle area. Using W7 64, HDHOMERUN Prime with Comcast.

Thank you all for keeping me sane.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 pm

dottier wrote:Don't use this computer for anything else. Anti virus is 360 S C
If you don't use the computer for anything else, there is no need to have anti-virus software installed. Remove it.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Scallica wrote:
dottier wrote:Don't use this computer for anything else. Anti virus is 360 S C
If you don't use the computer for anything else, there is no need to have anti-virus software installed. Remove it.
I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials and so far I haven't had any problems. my theory is if I keep it all under the MS umbrella then there is less chance of a conflict with WMC.