Goodbye MS, Hello EPG123 but struggling with FreeSat data

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
programx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Goodbye MS, Hello EPG123 but struggling with FreeSat data

Post by programx » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hi,

As with much of the rest of you, I am frustrated with the lack lustre support of Microsoft and their data. I switched to EPG123 successfully, except that my Guide line up is consistently wrong.

I use FreeSat in the UK.

EPG123 using a "FreeSat - England (United Kingdom)" line up results in a Guide that is just wrong. The E4 channel on the guide is actually ITV4 on the feed, for example.

Thinking I just had to "fill in the blanks", I spent 3 hours last night manually scanning transponders and lining up the Guide Data. EPG123 did its scheduled thing and this morning, we're back to a fairly useless guide.

I'm getting push back on this now from the family, including some commentary that "other people can use FreeSat in other rooms without a satellite feed" which is where WMC is the real win, so any help would be very much appreciated. I must be doing something wrong if people have got it working.

Thanks very much

Nathan

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Nathan - did you uncheck the automap channels box in the EPG GUI? The same thing happened to me and it mangled all my channel changes! Once I unchecked it and re-did my mappings etc, all was OK next time EPG123 ran.
Unfortunately the MS setup for Freesat is hopelessly out of date and practically all the current channels need to be set up manually with single transponder scans. I use this site for all the required tuning info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... _28%C2%B0E

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:37 pm

programx wrote:Hi,
EPG123 using a "FreeSat - England (United Kingdom)" line up results in a Guide that is just wrong. The E4 channel on the guide is actually ITV4 on the feed, for example.
If the lineup is incorrect, please open a lineup support ticket at Schedules Direct so that we can get it fixed.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Sorry 'bout that. On release 1.0.0 I set the automatch feature to be default ON because there were a lot of first timers not selecting it and having an empty guide. That situation is a much easier problem to fix than what you guys are doing with the manual matching due to not having a perfect lineup.

Lesson learned: 1) Turn everything off to encourage the user to read the manual and 2) create a FAQ in the manual/on the website. I try to 'do no harm', but failed on this one.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

programx

Post by programx » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 am

Awesome, thanks @camelopardis that was it. I unchecked that and just did the one channel edit this time and it worked. So thanks very much for that.

@garyan2 No need to apologise. Your software has got me out of a GAF-sized hole. I think I just needed a deeper understanding than I did. I'm very much a "just works" kind of guy and don't do much hacking around these days. I'll be donating.

camelopardis

Post by camelopardis » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:29 am

also thanks to garyan2 - your app is brilliant and Ive donated :)