The Last Ship

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
tecman4

HTPC Specs: Show details

The Last Ship

Post by tecman4 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:08 pm

I have this show setup as a series, since the Orlando shooting they rescheduled the 2 hour premier to this Sunday 6/19
I checked and Windows media center still has the old schedule

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 pm

roviguide.com and tvguide.com (both use Rovi data) have the rescheduled episodes (two 1-hour episodes) in the guide, as does zap2it.com (Gracenote data).

So I would expect the WMC guide to be updated tonight or tomorrow to reflect this.

However, if WMC recorded these episodes last weekend (since they were still in the guide even though the schedule changed), then you will still have to manually tell WMC to record them "again", since it thinks they were already recorded.

Note that Gracenote has assigned these episodes new programIds, so if you are using Gracenote (SchedulesDirect with EPG123), then it will probably not be necessary to record them manually, as WMC will still see them as new episodes. This is something that Rovi does not do, although now that Rovi is buying TiVo, I hope it is something they are forced to implement by the hordes of TiVo users.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:54 am

Space wrote:Note that Gracenote has assigned these episodes new programIds, so if you are using Gracenote (SchedulesDirect with EPG123), then it will probably not be necessary to record them manually, as WMC will still see them as new episodes. This is something that Rovi does not do, although now that Rovi is buying TiVo, I hope it is something they are forced to implement by the hordes of TiVo users.
Awesome. I didn't know they did that (which is a perfect solution to the problem).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 am

Yeah, Gracenote is much more attentive to this kind of stuff than Rovi ever even tries to be.

In fact, Rovi will not even change the OAD of the episodes when they are rescheduled, so even if your WMC did not record the episodes in their original timeslots, it still won't see the rescheduled ones as NEW episodes (if the rescheduled air date is not within 7 days of the original OAD).

Rovi really needs to get their act in gear if they think they can support TiVo users without problems.

EDIT: I just updated WMC and the Rovi update DID mark the rescheduled episodes to record as part of the Series! Apparently Rovi DID change the programId. Maybe they are getting their act together? (or more likely they just messed something up :-)

What is interesting is that even though the OAD is 6/13/2016 and they are airing on 6/19/2016, they are still marked as (Repeat), which is surprising to me since I always thought that episodes were only marked as a repeat if the OAD was more than 7 days away from the airing date.

Because of this, if you have your series set to "New" only, then it will probably not pick these episodes up, although I am not sure because the OAD is still within 7 days of airing date, so who knows...