VISTA WMC Stuck on Zap2it

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
Vistaar

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Vistaar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 pm

SteelWill wrote:If any of you guys run into, or better yet solve, the random wake issue I'm getting I'd love to hear about it. My machine woke at 3AM, 5AM, and 7:20AM yesterday...both mcupdate tasks are disabled, and guide updates are disabled in WMC.
Even in standard Vista WMC (no TV Pack), I once tried to stop automatic updates by disabling mcupdate in Task Scheduler but was surprisingly unsuccessful. This link might be helpful - especially if you don't mind automatic updates when the PC is awake: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12 ... puter.html. (My PC only "sleeps" when I shut it down, which saves even more power.) In WMC under Settings > General, have you scrutinized Automatic Download Options and Optimization?

An issue of my own: I'm afraid I had a minor crash while exiting Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels:

Description
Stopped working

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EHShell.exe
Application Version: 6.1.1000.18273
Application Timestamp: 486c6907
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19346
Fault Module Timestamp: 55024174
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003dced
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1097046200

If you need to edit a particular channel (maybe your crappy cable company gives it no channel identifier so you need to manually map it to the right guide listing), it's probably best to do so directly in the guide by right-clicking the channel at far left.

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 am

I was unable to find HKLM anything in my registry. I searched all the software folders too, but there's nothing in any of those about WMC (i.e. I couldn't trace the path beginning with software any further than "windows" in any of the folders).

Bummer.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:39 am

joefriday wrote:Now the only thing not working right is the "genre" menu under movie guide. I can see now playing movies and on next movies, but "no movies found" under the genre selection. Doesn't even bring up the styles of genre to choose from. Anyone else experience this problem?
Yes I can duplicate that, and I also get "no movies were found" for "top rated." This is most likely an issue with the quality of Rovi data rather than TV Pack. There are many complaints about data quality in that 71-page thread that's 71 percent quotations. I recall someone (most likely running a newer Windows version) complaining that they were getting only three movie genres.

BTW I wouldn't continue running SP1 since it's no longer supported. I think the rest of us have all installed TV Pack on top of SP2.

SteelWill

Post by SteelWill » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:24 am

Vistaar wrote:
SteelWill wrote:If any of you guys run into, or better yet solve, the random wake issue I'm getting I'd love to hear about it. My machine woke at 3AM, 5AM, and 7:20AM yesterday...both mcupdate tasks are disabled, and guide updates are disabled in WMC.
Even in standard Vista WMC (no TV Pack), I once tried to stop automatic updates by disabling mcupdate in Task Scheduler but was surprisingly unsuccessful. This link might be helpful - especially if you don't mind automatic updates when the PC is awake: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12 ... puter.html. (My PC only "sleeps" when I shut it down, which saves even more power.) In WMC under Settings > General, have you scrutinized Automatic Download Options and Optimization?
I tried setting WMC to do updates in the 6AM-12PM range late yesterday and it did that today a little after 11AM. It's these other 2-3 random wakes prior that I can't track down. Nothing else in WMC should be doing it, and I've disabled every task and service that's even suspect. If it was a normal fix it wouldn't still be happening. It's definitely something to do with the TV pack, I had this thing set to update the guide at 6AM on the dot before and it worked that way for years. Uninstalling playready is my last shot in the dark if it wakes again tonight.

rkarsten

Post by rkarsten » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I have the exact same issue for the last three weeks. The "Get Latest Guide Listing" task connects to the internet fine, the task completes successfully. I then check the guide and every channel says "No Data Available"
Windows Vista 64bit Premium Home.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:07 pm

rkarsten wrote:"No Data Available"
I don't think there is any solution that does not involve installing TV Pack. (Well you could upgrade to Windows 7 or install other PVR software.)

lees40

Post by lees40 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi Steelwill Vistaar -

Is there any hope of getting this to run on Vista SP2 without TV Pack? Reason I ask is that the cumulative update definitely breaks connectivity with the Linkysys 2100 Extender. Also, I could be mistaken, but upgrading to Windows 7 won't work either because Microsoft stopped supporting extenders post Vista. (at least I'm fairly certain that is the case) And, since really the only beauty of Media Center to me, is if you can use it via multiple extenders I'm not sure there is a point without them...

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:23 pm

lees40 wrote:Is there any hope of getting this to run on Vista SP2 without TV Pack? Reason I ask is that the cumulative update definitely breaks connectivity with the Linkysys 2100 Extender...
By "the cumulative update" I assume you mean KB977864. As I pointed out in post #12, that update is "Recommended" rather than "Important" and reportedly applies mainly to CableCard setups. If it breaks your Linksys 2100 Extender, then don't install KB977864. If you have already installed it, you can either restore your system or go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates and uninstall it. Let us know if that breaks something else. In post #34, columbia93 mentioned an earlier cumulative update (KB956147). In your case it might be worthwhile to try that one instead of KB977864 - but to be clear, I haven't installed it myself. Here's a link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/ ... /kb/956147. (I would install that before security patches.)

If you find a way to get Rovi guide data on Vista without installing TV Pack, please tell us about it.

ronaldo47

Post by ronaldo47 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 pm

lees40, I just wanted to let you know that I have been using a Linksys DMA2200 extender with Windows 7 for about three years. It works great. As far as I know the 2200 is the same as a 2100 with the addition of a DVD tray. I am also using multiple Xbox 360's as extenders and everything coexists just fine. I personally think that upgrading to Windows 7 is a better solution than loading TV pack on Vista.

Ron

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm

i installed TV pack, ran setup a couple times, but still no guide data. I tried a couple of zip codes too, to no avail. Does anybody here have a list of which zip codes Rovi recognizes (seems like I ran across one somewhere but can't find it now...)

However, I can't even be sure I'm hooked up to Rovi. Before I was able to navigate through the WMC setup menus until I found a screen that referenced Zap2it, but I can't find this screen anymore. I did find a screen that referenced Dolby and some other product, but no reference to Rovi. Am I hosed?

Windows Vista 32 bit SP2.

ronaldo47

Post by ronaldo47 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:43 pm

You will find the reference to your guide provider at Settings>TV>Guide>About Guide Listings.

There is a whole thread in which people are reporting zipcodes that work.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=9003

Ron

lees40

Post by lees40 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:19 pm

ronaldo47 wrote:lees40, I just wanted to let you know that I have been using a Linksys DMA2200 extender with Windows 7 for about three years. It works great. As far as I know the 2200 is the same as a 2100 with the addition of a DVD tray. I am also using multiple Xbox 360's as extenders and everything coexists just fine. I personally think that upgrading to Windows 7 is a better solution than loading TV pack on Vista.

Ron
Thank you, looks like I will try to upgrade the box to Windows 7 next. Is there a preferred version of Windows 7, will Home Premium work?

:)
Last edited by lees40 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lees40

Post by lees40 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Vistaar wrote:
lees40 wrote:Is there any hope of getting this to run on Vista SP2 without TV Pack? Reason I ask is that the cumulative update definitely breaks connectivity with the Linkysys 2100 Extender...
By "the cumulative update" I assume you mean KB977864. As I pointed out in post #12, that update is "Recommended" rather than "Important" and reportedly applies mainly to CableCard setups. If it breaks your Linksys 2100 Extender, then don't install KB977864. If you have already installed it, you can either restore your system or go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates and uninstall it. Let us know if that breaks something else. In post #34, columbia93 mentioned an earlier cumulative update (KB956147). In your case it might be worthwhile to try that one instead of KB977864 - but to be clear, I haven't installed it myself. Here's a link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/ ... /kb/956147. (I would install that before security patches.)

If you find a way to get Rovi guide data on Vista without installing TV Pack, please tell us about it.
Thanks for your help, looks like my best option may be to upgrade the box to Windows 7 if possible.

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks, Ron! I'll check out the 3 zips referenced there tonight (mpls/st.paul) and report back if i'm not getting guide data.

Mike

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 pm

mtreehugger wrote:i installed TV pack, ran setup a couple times, but still no guide data. I tried a couple of zip codes too, to no avail...
If you have ever modified your hosts file in hopes of getting guide data, then the first thing I would suggest is resetting it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/ ... /kb/972034. My hosts file is default, I'm using my own zip code, and I've been getting Rovi data for about two weeks now. If I understand joefriday correctly (page 2, post #40), his hosts file is also default. I would think that Rovi data should be available for virtually any zip code by now. If your channels are OTA (mine are cable), then it might make sense to try a zip code closer to the center of a nearby city. Ronaldo47 has already posted a link to the zip code thread. Don't run setup "a couple of times," run it multiple times.

ronaldo47

Post by ronaldo47 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 pm

less40, Windows 7 Home Premium is what I am using. Works fine.

Ron

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 am

Thanks, Vistaar! Unfortunately, no luck, but at least I now know where my host file is and that it hasn't changed.

I've tried quite a few inner city zip codes now, both mpls. and st. paul, and no luck. I'm still getting the download error when I try to run WMC setup (I quoted the whole error message back on page 1 of this thread), and I still have no guide data. I find it odd that after installing TV Pack I can no longer find a reference to either Zap2it or Rovi.

The good news, though, is the PlayReadyPC download, which opens up all kinds of OTA channels I never knew were there! I doubt I'll ever watch them, but it's cool knowing I could.

Arrgggggh! I'm so envious of you who have guide data!!!!!

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:30 am

mtreehugger wrote:Unfortunately, no luck...I'm still getting the download error when I try to run WMC setup...I find it odd that after installing TV Pack I can no longer find a reference to either Zap2it or Rovi.
If you completed WMC Setup without a TV setup data download, then you have neither Zap2It nor Rovi listings, hence no About Guide Listings. Somewhat reluctantly, I just reran WMC Setup and got the same error you've been complaining about:
Download Failure.JPG
Download Failure.JPG (18.71 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
I canceled/backed out of setup and closed WMC. Right-clicked the new system tray icon and unchecked "Enable Guide Listing Downloads" (probably not critical, but I never checked it until after I got Rovi data the first time). Opened WMC and under Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup, this time I ran Set Up TV Signal (instead of Run Setup Again). The zip code that appeared by default was my own and I did not change it. This worked the very first time. I hope this helps you because now I have to edit my channels again. (Someone in the big thread who goes by ThankYouKindly pointed out a new Hide Preview setting that should prove helpful in that regard.)

SteelWill

Post by SteelWill » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:27 am

Good luck to you guys working with the TV Pack. After my computer just now waking for the 4th unscheduled time today I'm out of ideas and patience and will be fully moving over to the Windows 7 install I made when this whole ordeal started.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:55 pm

SteelWill wrote:Good luck to you guys working with the TV Pack. After my computer just now waking for the 4th unscheduled time today I'm out of ideas and patience and will be fully moving over to the Windows 7 install I made when this whole ordeal started.
Sorry to see you go SteelWill. If anyone else has observed this sleep disorder after installing TV Pack, please tell us about it. If anyone is using a software firewall to micromanage outbound connections, it would be interesting to know if there is a correlation.