MCE 7 Newb Customization Questions

Sturmie

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCE 7 Newb Customization Questions

Post by Sturmie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey all, I was looking to do some customization to my setup on all 3 of my HTPCs and have a couple questions.

I am familiar with Media Center Studio and have the offline version installed successfully, but I lost my custom menus on 2 of my 3 machines. Do I have to run that MCSFix.exe regularly to keep my customization? If so, how often is "regularly"?

Where is a good place to get some themes to apply via Media Center Studio? Just curious...looking to change the look of MCE maybe.

Since I have 3 machines and they're pretty much all identical, they technically have the same channel lineup (sharing my tuners over the network from my Ceton card)...how can I customize the lineup on one machine (remove all the channels I don't get) and then apply them to my other HTPCs? I found something called MCE 7 Reset Toolbox, is that any good?

Thanks for the help.

Sturmie

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Anyone? I'd really like to know if it's possible to export/import my personalized channel lineup from machine to machine.

Thanks.

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 pm

You shouldn't have to run msfix, media centre updates that mess up your menu are very infrequent, find themes in http://www.hack7mc.com, look in the downloads section.
You can't transfer settings between machines, set up each one independently.

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 pm

WarrenH wrote:You shouldn't have to run msfix, media centre updates that mess up your menu are very infrequent, find themes in http://www.hack7mc.com, look in the downloads section.
You can't transfer settings between machines, set up each one independently.
Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing about the settings...why do programs like mcBackup and MCE Reset Toolbox claim that you can? Just curious. For the record, I tried doing the channel lineup export/import with mcBackup 3.0 and it did NOT work.

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Backup and Reset toolbox are good ideas, just not too sure about universal implementation; you'll find many posts with problems. I tend just use media center studio.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Guidetool may do the job for you. I've used it many times to restore channel lineup to the same PC. I would think you'd still have to run tv setup on all pcs then restore guidetool channel lineup. I'm not 100% sure it works across PCs and you have to pay a few bucks to enable backup/restore. YMMV. If it does not work it's still a great utility for editing channel Lineup quickly and efficiently without having to use the 10 foot interface.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123