myForecast weather addin

Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Embiggens » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:07 pm

nelinory wrote:
stuartm wrote:One thing that is a bit of a problem. The current days forecast is not shown. This is not good if you are like me and stay up late watching something and say right after midnight you check what "tomorrow's" weather will be before turning in and you don't see that.
The Weather Underground feed already have the current day forecast data and it is on top of my list. I have been struggling with how to show it on the main screen (UI design suggestions are welcome). If you have an idea, please log an issue at: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues
What about doing something simple like replacing the bottom left tile with today's forecast, and then just pushing all the other days to the right? In my opinion, if it pushed the last day off the display, it would be an acceptable tradeoff.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Yes, I agree with this idea. fwiw my SO works for NOAA and she says that forecasts are usually pretty accurate for a couple of days but the further out they go the less accurate so doing this would mean losing the least useful data anyway.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:55 pm

+1 to the above idea. On my screens I notice there's space on the left hand side, about a cells-worth. Even if that wasn't used, I'd gladly give up a 5th-day out for today's forecast numbers.
-Alan

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:11 am

Thank you very much for all the feedback regarding current day forecast. I am working on some UI mock ups which I will post in the next couple of days.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:35 am

I am ready with the mock ups for current day forecast + hourly forecast. To avoid spamming this thread with bunch of screenshots I have created an issue (more like whiteboard) at Github with the current ideas. You can check it out at: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues/7 (github account is not required for viewing it).

I will update the mock ups as the discussion progresses until we get the design we all agree on (well most of us :lol: ). If you like to comment - you can comment back on this post or on Github (account is required for comments). I will try to collect all requests and adjust the mock ups as we go. And....yes the mock ups are live, i.e. taken from fully working version of the application - well multiple versions :D

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 am

I'd take either of 3) or 4), (4) preferentially I think. Like where you're going with this! Question though, why the seeming offset to the right on the panels, seems like a lot of space empty on the left...
-Alan

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:18 am

Looking good!

I'd have to say I like #1 the best... followed by #4. Too much info in some of those for what I would really want out of this.

Additional comment as an engineer... Is it possible to drop the decimal place in the current temperature? Seems overly precise, and inconsistent with the other temperatures that are just whole numbers. LOL

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:43 am

I like #1, the hourly stuff seems too cluttered and not all that useful IMO. Would change the today forecast title from FORECAST to TODAY

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:41 pm

webminster wrote:I'd take either of 3) or 4), (4) preferentially I think. Like where you're going with this! Question though, why the seeming offset to the right on the panels, seems like a lot of space empty on the left...
Honestly the offset to the right is a leftover from my original idea to have buttons on the left for the different functionality. I am thinking on centering the whole layout and make it a bit wider. Regarding the space although Microsoft states that Windows Media Center uses 1366x768 as base resolution for widescreen and then it scales up - I have found with the forum's help that if enforced it will mess up the rendering on some extenders. I guess the usable horizontal space is ~1200 pixels.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Looking good!

I'd have to say I like #1 the best... followed by #4. Too much info in some of those for what I would really want out of this.

Additional comment as an engineer... Is it possible to drop the decimal place in the current temperature? Seems overly precise, and inconsistent with the other temperatures that are just whole numbers. LOL
Well the hourly forecast was just an idea I threw out there - I does make the whole layout cluttered. I will remove the decimal point from the current temperature.

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:17 pm

stuartm wrote:I like #1, the hourly stuff seems too cluttered and not all that useful IMO. Would change the today forecast title from FORECAST to TODAY
Hourly forecast idea is definitely not popular :mrgreen: - I agree in the current design stage not much use of it. Regarding the today forecast title - I would like to make it dynamic title, i.e. until noon it will say TODAY, after noon it may say TONIGHT and after 10PM it may say TOMORROW. As I explained in on the GitHub whiteboard, I am thinking of using the hourly forecast data for more precise today's forecast shifted by XX hours, this way I can link the tile title to the data.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:09 pm

I really like the hourly data. The 12 hour is just about right for what I am looking for.

Thanks for the great new Add-in!

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:46 pm

I have updated the mock ups for current day forecast + hourly forecast based on your feedback. You can check it out at: https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues/7 (github account is not required for viewing it). We may have a winner this time. :D

All screenshots are taken from a live development version of the application, which is almost release ready.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 am

Looks really nice.
-Alan

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:27 am

Looks good, nice work

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Looks really nice!

Sorry if I missed this... Is there a new version available to install? And when you do install, do you have to remove the old version first?

Thanks!

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Looks really nice!

Sorry if I missed this... Is there a new version available to install? And when you do install, do you have to remove the old version first?

Thanks!
New version will be available soon - we are discussing specific functionality (https://github.com/nelinory/myForecast/issues/7). Once the release is ready it will automatically uninstall the old version before installing the new one - all your settings are preserved during the update.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Great job! How about a nicer icon for the WMC menu?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:59 am

Scallica wrote:Great job! How about a nicer icon for the WMC menu?
Well, my graphical designer skills are severely lacking :oops:
I will appreciate any help towards better application icon. :thumbup: .....maybe a new sets of weather icons too.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Not saying these are worth much, but I had made these when you first launched this... 1, so the icons were the right format for the home screen and 2, so my family would recognize the Wunderground logo and click on it for weather.

Active - http://mostlyuseless.info/Qh/
Active with text - http://mostlyuseless.info/Hh/
Inactive - http://mostlyuseless.info/Kh/

Inactive ones coloring is off, too, but maybe someone just wants a quick fix with these?