Automated DVD Format Shifting

schwefel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Automated DVD Format Shifting

Post by schwefel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:26 pm

*I have been researching this and am having a hard time seperating the wheat from the chaff. If someone knows a specific forum post that I missed, please point me to it.

I have quite a large DVD collection and a growing BlueRay one. I am looking to format shift my collection to the WMC that I am building.

The WMC will also be used as a cable DVR.

Here are my requirements:
Insert disc and it automatically rips it to the HDD.
Must be viewable on both the WMC machine itself and on an extender.
Directory is created based on disc name (or other disc data)

I will be using XBox 360s and/or Linksys DMA2X00s as the extenders. I am not married to one or the other. I already have an XBox so I would like to use it and use the Linksys devices on other TVs. If there is a good reason to standardize on one or the other, I am willing to do so.

If there are no "install and go" solutions, I am perfectly fine with creating a power shell script around a command line tool or writing a small wrapper around a library to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Jason

lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lithium630 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:15 pm

You can try Auto Rip and Compress. I haven't used it in a while but the purpose of it was to be able to insert disk from inside media center and rip and convert automatically. As for format everyone will have a different method. I have both extenders. I keep all my blu-rays in WTV h264. DVD's and kids movies I convert to WTV mpeg2 because the Linksys extenders can't handle WTV h264 and I use those in the kids rooms.