ServerWMC issues with DRM, where there is no DRM?

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Ed  wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Yeah, I suppose the daily Bubblegum and Duct Tape Show is more entertaining than the Tivo Show.
Ha! Yeah, but in terms of Tivo - no news is good news for me (and I'm sure for mdavej, aside from boredom) :D
Exactly, watching TV is boring. It's much more fun when there is Bubblegum and Duct tape involved. You guys are missing out :lol:

I don't even watch much TV. My old 65 NEC was turned on last winter, I don't think I have ever changed the channel since then. Nor shut it off. It's approaching a year without a reboot.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:55 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Ed  wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Yeah, I suppose the daily Bubblegum and Duct Tape Show is more entertaining than the Tivo Show.
Ha! Yeah, but in terms of Tivo - no news is good news for me (and I'm sure for mdavej, aside from boredom) :D
Exactly, watching TV is boring. It's much more fun when there is Bubblegum and Duct tape involved. You guys are missing out :lol:

I don't even watch much TV. My old 65 NEC was turned on last winter, I don't think I have ever changed the channel since then. Nor shut it off. It's approaching a year without a reboot.
I don't watch much TV anymore either for the past couple of years. Ever since I had gone headless on the HTPC, and accessed WMC only on/through 360 extenders, I didn't have to tinker with the HTPC/WMC at all really. Also, finally going Chromecast/dedicated BR player before that; and finally stop trying to cram everything into the WMC machine/interface had cut down on tinkering drastically. Going headless just cut down on that last remaining percentage. I used that time to catch up on video games I had wanted to play but never got around to, and tinkering with my Android devices. The guide data switch apparently wanted me to start tinkering with WMC again. That wasn't happening. It's all about finding new(er), more exciting things/areas to tinker with/in :D

cbanakis

Post by cbanakis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 am

Well, I am still trying to figure this out for sure.

Right now I have every non-movie channel, and several channels that you'd expect to work, don't.

I am about to cancel all but the local channels, since every other package contains at least a few channels that don't work.

How do I know for sure that DRM is the issue?

Every channel that should work, works great on my WMC TV Server.
Channels that don't work through ServerWMC show "Copy Once" protection on recorded files under windows file properties, and will all play for a second in Kodi, then buffer like crazy, flicker between images and grey screen, and have short painful audo screeches.

Can anyone confirm that "thats what drm will do"?

This is just so rediculous, cause I can download all the shows I want that air on these channels moments after air time ends.
So obviosly DRM doesn't work as intended.
Seems to me, all it does is make it so I, a paying customer, cannot watch these channels with my setup.

DRM is like getting a lock for your house that no one can possibly pick, unless they are theives, and sometimes your key wont work.
I don't think I see a benefit there.
Just to keep drunks from stumbling in by accident?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:57 pm

What are you trying to accomplish over there. Obviously WMC Server isn't doing what you thought it was going to do.

Are you just trying to get some channels playing in a different room in your house" Got a TV with a HDMI input? The only way I know of to get protected channels to a different room is to use an extender. Have a look at the Ceton Echo. Xbox 360 is another popular extender.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:51 pm

cbanakis wrote:Can anyone confirm that "thats what drm will do"?
Yes, that's what it does. Just use WMC Extenders (Xbox or Echo) as Crash said. That's your only option at the moment in the WMC universe. You can get used Xboxes for about $30. That will enable you to watch all your WMC content (protected or not) on any TV. That's how the rest of us handle it.

Silicon Dust and JRiver are working on DMR solutions, but nothing is complete yet.

cbanakis

Post by cbanakis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:26 am

Trying to have 1 box that does everything perfectly.

And that is exactly what I had before all these channels recently decided to drm their signals.

I used to use WMC, and got sick and tired of dealing with codecs, needing a keyboard and mouse to turn subtitles on and of for mkv's, etc.

The only thing that worked seemlessly in WMC was live TV.

Then the great KrustyReturns and friends made ServerWMC, and I was able to switch to XBMC/Kodi, only relying on WMC as a TV Server. And now more and more channels are DRMing. After a decade of hopes and dreams, I finally had the perfect setup, and now it is being ruined by DRM.

DRM which apparently doesn't prevent piracy, if your a person who uploads torrents.

Seems to work great though, if the goal is to render channels I pay for useless with my setup.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm

cbanakis wrote:.....and now it is being ruined by DRM.
You make it sound like DRM was just invented yesterday solely to upset your apple cart. While it may be true that more channels (in your area...wherever that is?) are being "protected", DRM has been around for a long time. The rest of us have implemented solutions (and suggested them to you).

Correct me if I am wrong.....but it appears to me that you have ignored DRM in your setup, and now your setup is useless. Here are a couple facts that you might not have been aware of.......

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a generic term that covers many types of protective measures used to prevent the copying and distribution of digital media. As such no individual or company invented DRM.

Copyright holders have always sought means to control the illicit copying and distribution of their products. With the arrival of digital media it was possible for users to create perfect copies of the media and so many companies devised schemes to prevent copying. The earliest forms of DRM, from around 1996, limited the use of the physical disc that held the digital media. Film companies imposed a Content Scrambling System to films released on DVD and record companies, most notably Sony, introduced CDs that secretly installed software on a users computer to prevent the duplication of the CD. This software only worked on computers running the Windows operating system and was found to compromise the security of the computer. It has since been abandoned.
With the coming of the Internet it became increasingly easy to illicitly duplicate and then distribute media files and a system of protecting individual files was created first by Microsoft with their Windows Media DRM in 1999. When Apple launched the iTunes store in 2003 the record companies insisted on a DRM system to protect their material and so Apple added their FairPlay DRM to files supplied from the iTunes store. Apple has since convinced the record companies this was a bad idea and has dropped the use of DRM protection from the music files.

cbanakis

Post by cbanakis » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, I know all of this.

Doesn't make drm any less of a failed concept.

Like I said, I can easily dowbload content ripped from the channels I pay for but can't watch.

Thats what makes it stupid.
Cause it clearly doesn't work.
Just screws up my setup.

Used to be just movie channels, so I did not care.
(Just didn't get movie channels)

Now in last 6 months, seems like 20% of channels I have started DRMing.

This is with WOW, in Illinois btw.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:50 pm

cbanakis wrote: This is with WOW, in Illinois btw.

Here is what is going on with WOW, since 2011.....

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r256655 ... e-from-WOW