Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:04 pm

Looks like Microsoft tried again to remove netflix. Recently on one (but not yet all) of my HTPC's I got a message on starting up that there was an Error in Media Center and then it did some reload of my Guide data. Somewhat later I noticed that Netflix was again gone on that HTPC and replacing the folder as I did before did not bring Netflix back. Suspect the error is related since my other HTPC's have not gotten that and still have the restored Netflix. I see one other post indicating a re-removal of Netflix. Has anyone who had that happen worked around the second removal?

jmsnyc

Post by jmsnyc » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:15 pm

@stuartm - I had same issue. Windows Update removed it from my W10 Home version but not my W10 Education version (I may have updates configured slightly different)

I reran the full restore script and got it back without needing to rerun the search fix.

My best success is to use _testrights.cmd (included with W10 MC patch) which launches a trusted installer cmd prompt.

I just search topic for keyword "maximize" and did not find anything but I am having issue with playing Netflix and screen becoming un-maximized at bottom ? I made sure display scaling at high dpi was checked in shortcut but no help. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:52 pm

I got Netflix back by restoring my system drive from the image I took after I put it back the first time. Still not sure exactly what happened to make it go away. The error/rebuild/reload of the guide data was suspicious since the machine has been running perfectly. I don't allow Microsoft updates except for Media Center data. The machine hasn't crashed or had any power failures. As far as not getting full screen Netflix don't know what would cause that
Since afaik WMC on W10 is some enormous hack, I am not surprised it might have problems. Strictly run Win 7 myself.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:04 pm

Maybe a Task Bar issue? Can the Windows 10 Task Bar be hidden like previously? I haven't looked for the option yet.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:02 pm

I finally had one of my machines remove Netflix and not restore it. Going to Task Scheduler, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center, and running MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, let them complete (it takes a while), then copy the folders/files I posted did restore it. This will also remove the Sept. 15 nag.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 pm

I've been using the ReLaunch method to open Chrome, which is nice. Subtitle options and better picture quality. Just wish there was a way to get remote commands into a browser window.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:37 pm

I can use my WMC remote with Chrome. OK is pause/resume and the arrow keys skip forward and back. Chrome only supports the same 720p that WMC supports, but subtitles options are nice.

jim010011

Post by jim010011 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 am

First, thanks to all who contribute to the Green Button. I've been trolling your site for years troubleshooting various issues.

The recent Netflix snafu gave me a headache. Early posts led me to a quick solution on existing Win7 WMC machines in my home. However, I just added 2 new htpcs to the mix. These were basic builds, circa 2011, where Netflix had not been previously installed. A mix of various solutions posted here, and 1 new, enabled me to install Netflix and see it in the menu.

Issues included finding a good WMC Netflix Installer and getting the Netflix Menu to actually appear.

How to install Netflix in Windows Media Center (WMC) on Windows 7 for a new build:

1. Open WMC. Setup the basics, e.g. libraries. Updates can be turned on. Close.

2. Install Netflix for WMC. Had issues with the other 2 floating around. Use this file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B03Jg3 ... view?pli=1

3. Open a CMD Prompt as an Admin. Type:
cd /d %WINDIR%\ehome [enter key]
start /wait mcupdate -uf [enter key]

This step was provided by a MS MVP Admin years ago. This forces the download of tiles and basic menu components.

4. Run the WMC Netflix Restore. Run as Admin -
http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

Snapple - BTW - Nice work. Awesome Job. Like the Amazon addon as well. Looking forward to your HTML5 solution.

Along the way, I stumbled across the Netflix Search fix. A silver lining. Thanks all that have helped me so much over the years.

This method will also remove the Annoying "As of September 15, 2015, Netflix will no longer be available on Media Center..." message. Just employed on main box/server with auto updates for EPG/TV Tuner. Will not wipe your scheduled recordings or other settings as with using the Task Scheduler method. Note: I deleted all files under eHome/Packages before running the Cmd line and installing the Snapple fix.

jim010011

Post by jim010011 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:52 pm

A few notes to add based on questions received.
The Netflix install file is:
netflixonwindows7.msi

The Snapple fix use:
Full fix; not the watered down version. Not sure if it mattered though.

To remove the "As of September 15, 2015, Netflix will no longer be available on Media Center..." message on a machine that is already working:
Only perform steps 3 & 4 since Netflix is already installed. Also, as noted, I deleted everything under Program Data/eHome/Packages before installing the Snapple fix.

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:25 am

Well, having problems again. I tried the Beta of the new Netflix Plug in from Marc, loaded fine but buggy (scroll on top not working right, not crazy about the interface and options at this time) so I kept using the old built in version with no issues.
Today, I go to watch netflix and it is opening up in a browser window, but the remote does not work. I guess I need to re-apply the patch?

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:28 am

I'm pretty sure it will not work anymore. This happened on all of my machines at the same time yesterday.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:16 am

Not sure what happened. If I try the old Mcrosoft Netflix app. I get page not found every time I try to play something.
Will at least try to go back to a saved disk image in case it's something done by the Media Center Update process.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:19 am

For me it just loads the Netflix home page as if I was using a browser. I can still play anything, but I have to use a mouse. Remote signals do nothing. I tried restoring it but it still does the same thing.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:23 am

I should clarify, I can go to the WMC Netflix link and everything is as it was previously until I go to actually play anything. It shows the Silverlight loading ring then displays the Netflix home page.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Anybody sort this one out? Or, is it gone for good?

JoeDown

Post by JoeDown » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 am

Other than the search issue I have not had any issues with Netflix in WMC until now. I'm wondering if this has to do with Netflix now using HTML 5 instead of Silverlight. I do hope there's a workaround for this. If that is the issue I wonder if there would be a way to run a script that would rewrite the page on the fly and convert to one that WMC could understand.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:36 am

stuartm wrote:Anybody sort this one out? Or, is it gone for good?
The classic fix works -clear the cache in internet explorer, log into Netflix using internet explorer, play something. Then go to Netflix in media center, sign out and back in and away you go.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 am

After doing that I got an error 4004 can't load player. Running the Microsoft Silverlight fix tool. reloaded Silvarlight and now all is working again. Thanks.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:29 am

I didn't do anything and mine is fine again today on all machines.

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:39 am

zenischosen wrote:I didn't do anything and mine is fine again today on all machines.
Same here, it started working last night normally again.