Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

MikeG

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 am

deihmos wrote:I use a roku over wifi for years. Everything is wireless but my server.
That's freak'n awesome... you get a cookie. My wifi doesn't reach to the HTPC location. Keep the helpful suggestions coming; you're on a roll!

Icy13

Post by Icy13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:29 am

So, I've been an MCE devotee since back when it was XP MCE 2005 and not WMC. I hooked my computer to my TV 10 years ago this September and never looked back.

And now, it looks like just in time for my anniversary, WMC is officially dying. Netflix plug in was the last straw after the headache of mymovies on an Xbox 360 extender constantly crashing.

I just bought a roku stick. And with plex, I see no reason to ever turn media center on again. Dvr is just such an inferior technology.

Windows is going to be disconnected from my TV. I'll leave the Damn hdmi cable sitting there just for irony.

Dammit windows, you were 5 years head of the smart living room. And you bungled it. Why? Why?!?

So long, and thanks for all the fish, I guess.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:30 am

deihmos wrote:I use roku over wifi for years. All my WMC machines machines are wireless but the one in the living room. Maybe you should consider upgrading from wireless G.
Yeah... you get a cookie. And i don't remember stating i was on G; oh, that's because i didn't. my WiFi doesn't reach to my HTPC location. Keep the helpful comments coming, you're on a roll!

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 am

rinse, wash, repeat.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 am

Icy13 wrote:So, I've been an MCE devotee since back when it was XP MCE 2005 and not WMC. I hooked my computer to my TV 10 years ago this September and never looked back.

And now, it looks like just in time for my anniversary, WMC is officially dying. Netflix plug in was the last straw after the headache of mymovies on an Xbox 360 extender constantly crashing.

I just bought a roku stick. And with plex, I see no reason to ever turn media center on again. Dvr is just such an inferior technology.

Windows is going to be disconnected from my TV. I'll leave the Damn hdmi cable sitting there just for irony.

Dammit windows, you were 5 years head of the smart living room. And you bungled it. Why? Why?!?

So long, and thanks for all the fish, I guess.
My sentiments (almost) exactly!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:33 am

Nothing exists on the PC that works with a remote. Netflix works a full throttle even on the worst wifi. No need to upgrade. It's nothing like WMC which barely works at all on wifi. Get a universal remote and another Roku. Your kid will easily adapt. Mine have used universal remotes since before they could talk, the kids I mean. Actually, he'll have no choice but to adapt since there is no other solution.

Also, I think your posts are pretty damn rude. Tone it down. It's just TV.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:38 am

mdavej wrote:Nothing exists on the PC that works with a remote. Netflix works a full throttle even on the worst wifi. No need to upgrade. It's nothing like WMC which barely works at all on wifi. Get a universal remote and another Roku. Your kid will easily adapt. Mine have used universal remotes since before they could talk, the kids I mean. Actually, he'll have no choice but to adapt since there is no other solution.

Yeah, it might be a little rude. Just sick and tired of people telling me that what i have setup (and spent many MANY hours figuring out / paying for / setting up) is not the right way and that "their way is better". What if i said i didn't want wireless in my house for security reasons. What would be y'alls answer then? Bottom line, i don't want to run a roku on wireless... but now i might have to thanks to Microsoft (or run another ethernet cable). Any more helpful suggestions?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 am

No wifi? Then your only other option is wired no matter what device you use. Get a hub (switch). You must already have wired going to whatever device you watch Netflix on today anyway. Switches are under $10 on ebay. I have one at every TV.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:46 am

mdavej wrote:No wifi? Then your only other option is wired no matter what device you use. Get a hub (switch). You must already have wired going to whatever device you watch Netflix on today anyway. Switches are under $10 on ebay. I have one at every TV.
Really?

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 am

MikeG wrote:
mdavej wrote:Nothing exists on the PC that works with a remote. Netflix works a full throttle even on the worst wifi. No need to upgrade. It's nothing like WMC which barely works at all on wifi. Get a universal remote and another Roku. Your kid will easily adapt. Mine have used universal remotes since before they could talk, the kids I mean. Actually, he'll have no choice but to adapt since there is no other solution.

Yeah, it might be a little rude. Just sick and tired of people telling me that what i have setup (and spent many MANY hours figuring out / paying for / setting up) is not the right way and that "their way is better". What if i said i didn't want wireless in my house for security reasons. What would be y'alls answer then? Bottom line, i don't want to run a roku on wireless... but now i might have to thanks to Microsoft (or run another ethernet cable). Any more helpful suggestions?
Don't worry Mike, true devotees understand the joy of HTPC. I do wonder how I am to set up my L2TP tunnel on a Roku, or add IR remote controlled region switching on the VPN for when I want to change to the UK for BBC iPlayer, or how I record TV on the Roku, or how to script CEC commands via my Pulse-Eight for switching from between TV and projector on my Roku. Everything seems to be a step backwards lately, with numerous lacklustre boxes which all require changing HDMI inputs and other crusty shenanigans.

The wait for the next silver bullet continues, hopefully WMC will last the distance until then.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:16 am

MikeG wrote:Any more helpful suggestions?
Cancel Netflix.

No Netflix=no need for Netflix plugin=Netflix plugin being discontinued is then of no concern=problem solved!

I'd like to thank my wife, the Academy, God, and all the people who helped make this answer possible. Thank you. I'll see you all at the after party. Drinks on me.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 am

gbwelly wrote:Don't worry Mike, true devotees understand the joy of HTPC. I do wonder how I am to set up my L2TP tunnel on a Roku, or add IR remote controlled region switching on the VPN for when I want to change to the UK for BBC iPlayer, or how I record TV on the Roku, or how to script CEC commands via my Pulse-Eight for switching from between TV and projector on my Roku. Everything seems to be a step backwards lately, with numerous lacklustre boxes which all require changing HDMI inputs and other crusty shenanigans.

The wait for the next silver bullet continues, hopefully WMC will last the distance until then.
That's ridiculous. Nobody is suggesting replacing any of that with a Roku. It's only for watching Netflix and other streaming services. And why all the Rube Goldberg HDMI switching? Any universal remote can run all the macros required to do all switching with one button press. So simple a 5 year old could do it.

I watch iPlayer via VPN on my HTPC too. But just grab my k400 and point and click to do it.

Mike refuses to use wifi or wired internet, so no solution of any kind is possible in his case. The obvious solution of adding a switch is apparently also out of the question. When somebody keeps moving the goal posts, it usually means they never really wanted a solution in the first place, but only wanted to vent. I say good riddance to the outdated, broken, crippled WMC Netflix app.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:02 am

Well, it seems that few people are actually reading my posts... i didn't refuse to do anything. I've acknowledged that i could run another ethernet cable or i could bite the bullet, live with increased traffic on my wireless (and live through the potential packet loss and "glitch" on the stream), but... My original request was for one to tell me how to view netflix on my HTPC while using nothing but a remote (like i can currently do, but won't be able to after Sept 15). That is my issue here. I don't want to have to buy more stuff or run a new ethernet cable or any of that... i just want to continue using what i have. If you know of a way, I'd love to hear it. If not, then perhaps letting the request lie and moving on is the best course for you. But don't chime in and tell me that my request is invalid which is what all but gbwelly have done (at least Ed's response we comical)

noak666

Post by noak666 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Mike (and anyone else who is plagued by the same problem and refuses to let go of a good, working, simple, system with, most importantly, HIGH WAF!!!!),

The time bomb message is delivered through an WMC update as previously suggested and (at least on my MCPC) is stored in the Markup.dll file located in %programdata%\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\UpdateableMarkup-2

I had an older Markup.dll in the UpdateableMarkup folder in the same location with a date of about a week earlier and by overwriting the UpdateableMarkup-2 version (make a backup first, don't blame me if your HTPC turns into a brick or an inferno, etc, etc) the notification disappeared. I also ran an WMC Update to see if it would overwrite but the logs seem to show that it keeps a record of what version of the MCEClientUX is installed (there is an UpdateableMarkup-2.cab in the parent folder that is where it seems to have come from) and doesn't notice if a single file is replaced. Obviously this is only a delaying tactic and will likely be overwritten next time Microsoft release another update but at least the nagging (both from M$ and the wife) has stopped.

After replacing the file I also disabled the WMC Update from running as I luckily live in an area not deemed worthy of Microsoft's Guide update service anyway so don't care. The whole thing will probably stop working once Netflix flick off Silverlight support but hopefully someone will have written a decent HTML5 based WMC plugin by then.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm with you that it sucks Microsoft let such a great product die, and it was really nice to have everything in one interface/remote. Unfortunately any options you have left will be kludgey. The only other remote controlled PC interface I know of is Kodi, with the Netflixbmc plugin. I tried it once, and it works, but honestly you'd be better off just using the Windows 8 Modern app with a wireless keyboard, or putting in a cheap switch and connecting a Roku.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:35 pm

MikeG wrote:My original request was for one to tell me how to view netflix on my HTPC while using nothing but a remote (like i can currently do, but won't be able to after Sept 15). That is my issue here. I don't want to have to buy more stuff or run a new ethernet cable or any of that... i just want to continue using what i have.
We told you right off the bat that what you're asking for does not exist. Then we offered simple, cheap alternatives that don't require running any new cables and work perfectly with a remote, all of which you've dismissed in a very snide and condescending way. You do have to buy more stuff, but a Roku is only about $30, and a universal remote is $3 and up. You did indeed refuse to use wifi for security reasons and refused to use wired ethernet, even though no new cabling besides a short patch cable is required if you use a switch. To protect your wifi, just use good encryption, a strong password, MAC filter, hide your SSID or whatever. But refusing to use either leaves you with no possible solution.

There is a way to partially control the Win 8.x/10 Netflix app with a remote, but not 100%, so that doesn't solve your problem either.

etc6849

Post by etc6849 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:37 pm

Does the windows 8 netflix app not work with a keyboard (for all necessay features)? If it works with a keyboard mcecontroller or eventghost could be used to add remote control.

PS: please stop with the roku suggestions. We all know just about any device nowdays comes with Netflix support. I don't want another box.

I use one HTCP with its output to an HDMI switcher. This one PC runs everything in my home too. No need for more suggestions that can't be integrated to work with rf or ir remotes or a home automation system. I really really don't want another box...

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 pm

No, it doesn't work with a keyboard.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 pm

The Netflix windows 8 is designed for touchscreen. It does not work with just a keyboard. You need a mouse or touch screen.

bryankennedy2

Post by bryankennedy2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Has anyone tried launching Kodi from WMC and then using the NetfliXBMC plug-in? I don't have Netflix, so I can't try it out, but that's a possibility.

Am I on a roll?