Discontinuing Support for Netflix Sept 2015

KerrAvon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by KerrAvon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:51 am

Hi Gang...

Got a bunch of inquiries about the 'legality' of my 'fix' for Netflix - specifically supplying a Microsoft-sourced file. I can appreciate that - plenty of ways that could go wrong for all parties. So, I have another approach. IN most cases, the unmodified markup.dll is lurking on your PCs in a backup folder. I have written a new fix utility which will look for those older backup copies of markup.dll and replace the newer (non-netflix file) with the older version. This approach should work for the majority of installations and gets around the whole 'file distribution' issue.

So - if you were on the fence about the old approach - try the new one. Links here: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

Thanks!

Marc

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:34 am

Weird thing to moan about imo (except for covering your own a**). I will hold on to version 1.1 then, at least until silverlight is completely dead too. I'm not going to be worried about the legality of a simple installer that throws a working MediaCenter on a win10 installation either if some body figures that process out.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 am

I'm leaving my original files up, as well as keeping a backup.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:20 pm

I tried the one (the "legality" one) from an admin command prompt. This one just exited with a "can't find WMC in root" sort of error. WMC is there, I'm looking at it :-)

I tried the latest full fix version, that worked great. Thanks for publishing this!
-Alan

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:33 am

He's building a new app just like the one for Amazon. Looks pretty slick. He's started a thread

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... lix#p97388

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Anyone else having problems logging in to Netflix?

I had done the patch to keep it working and has been working fine till now.
I had been watching Netflix for about 2 hours, went to start a new show and said no internet connection.
Logged off and it won't let me log back in now saying "There was a problem signing in. Verify your Internet connection is working and try again."

At first I could not log into Netflix in a browser either, but after a reboot and letting windows update I can get online in a browser, just not in WMC.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:14 pm

blupupher wrote:Anyone else having problems logging in to Netflix?

I had done the patch to keep it working and has been working fine till now.
I had been watching Netflix for about 2 hours, went to start a new show and said no internet connection.
Logged off and it won't let me log back in now saying "There was a problem signing in. Verify your Internet connection is working and try again."

At first I could not log into Netflix in a browser either, but after a reboot and letting windows update I can get online in a browser, just not in WMC.

Just tested and it's currently working fine for me..

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Just opened it and started a playback, did work for me.
-Alan

blupupher

Post by blupupher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:24 am

OK, it is working now. Not sure what it was. I started having issues on my laptop too (Windows 10, using Opera and Chrome) with Netflix (it would load the home page, but would not playback). Went and ate dinner and when I came back, it let me log in and is working fine now.

I am just worried since this is an "unofficial" fix that there is no support whatsoever except what is here (which is exceptional).

jmsnyc

Post by jmsnyc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:35 pm

KerrAvon wrote:Hi Gang...

Got a bunch of inquiries about the 'legality' of my 'fix' for Netflix - specifically supplying a Microsoft-sourced file. I can appreciate that - plenty of ways that could go wrong for all parties. So, I have another approach. IN most cases, the unmodified markup.dll is lurking on your PCs in a backup folder. I have written a new fix utility which will look for those older backup copies of markup.dll and replace the newer (non-netflix file) with the older version. This approach should work for the majority of installations and gets around the whole 'file distribution' issue.

So - if you were on the fence about the old approach - try the new one. Links here: http://sharepointsnapple.com/2015/09/21 ... x-restore/

Thanks!

Marc

Hey Marc,

I am currently using WMC on W10 through a patch which never had Netflix. I do have access to W7 install which was working with Netflix but then removed. If I run the full install, the 2nd link on page - should it work without moving any existing files from my old install ?

Thanks,

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:50 pm

My Netflix disappeared again. Did this happen to anyone else?

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 am

Mine hasn't disappeared (yet)... just ran a download update, it survived, still on both my machines.
-Alan

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:01 am

Mine is still working fine on all of my machines.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:02 pm

I replaced the folder again and it still will not show up.
zenischosen wrote:Mine is still working fine on all of my machines.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Make sure no Media Center related apps are running in task manager before you copy the folder. You may need to try restoring Media Center to default with Task Manager first. You'll lose your recording schedule, TV setup, etc. so make sure to back that up first. Have you done any Windows Updates or just Media Center guide updates?

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:28 pm

zenischosen wrote:Make sure no Media Center related apps are running in task manager before you copy the folder. You may need to try restoring Media Center to default with Task Manager first. You'll lose your recording schedule, TV setup, etc. so make sure to back that up first. Have you done any Windows Updates or just Media Center guide updates?

I just have guide updates running on it. Microsoft still sends the critical updates through even though I have windows update disabled. I will try to make sure nothing is running media center wise and try it again. I know last time I just replaced the folder and was good to go. If not looks like I will have to figure a way to get a xbox in there.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Maybe it was one of the critical updates. I disabled all updating for Windows Update. I will see if I can get it to remove mine again and try to figure something out when I get some time.

zenischosen

Post by zenischosen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:19 pm

I haven't been able to get it to remove Netflix again, but I was able to grab the installer that Windows 7 uses to install Netflix to WMC. This isn't to add Netflix back to the list, this is the installer it downloads and runs when you first go to the Netflix icon and it installs the app. Not sure of its use, but I wanted to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B03Jg ... VN5U3R5NWs

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

zenischosen wrote:I haven't been able to get it to remove Netflix again, but I was able to grab the installer that Windows 7 uses to install Netflix to WMC. This isn't to add Netflix back to the list, this is the installer it downloads and runs when you first go to the Netflix icon and it installs the app. Not sure of its use, but I wanted to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B03Jg ... VN5U3R5NWs
Thank you. I will give it a try.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:17 pm

I have been able to get Netflix working on my windows7 machine using the awesome fix on this forum. However, the only thing that gets the icon to appear in WMC is to turn on automatic guide downloads (or hit the "download now" button). I found this solution from a Microsoft answer page.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 12856fe7b6

My problem is that I recently changed my WMC machine to use alternate guide data and one of the keys to making it work properly is to NOT download the guide data from Microsoft.

I'm not sure what downloading the guide from Microsoft does... maybe confirm my region as USA.

The fix works fine on my computer but won't activate without me downloading the guide. Does anyone know of a workaround?