GuideTool Discussion Thread

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden when I go to download the install for GuideTool.

Would it be all right to upload the install here?
Attachments
GuideToolSetup.rar
(436.41 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

convertapple

Post by convertapple » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:18 am

I just spent 4 hours getting wmc setup 'again' after it went weird, got EPG Centre listings all assigned as msoft ones no longer work.
Then I did some final tweaks to more quickly disable channels that weren't working via GuideTool and suddenly I notice it has removed all the channels I'd set up!
I'd donated so I could make a backup after all this work, so I restored from the backup but the channels are still not there! the backups are useless!

At the moment I'm really annoyed as 6 hours work has just been trashed by using this program.
So I'm left having to do it ALL again, and without using this dangerous tool.
I'm pretty much about to throw the towel in with WMC. But I have multiple xbox's + setup Kodi to work with it, but it's just not worth it anymore.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 am

Sounds like EPG problems. CA?

convertapple

Post by convertapple » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 am

Well I had it all set-up and working with EPG via EPG Centre, channel logos, numbered etc. I then went through previewing the channels via an xbox and then disabling any which had no transmission feed via guide tool. Got to the end and all the properly set up channels had vanished! Prior to this I made a backup using guidetool that doesn't seem to restore, maybe as the channels are now missing, though I assumed it would restore it totally.

The front end for WMC has always been truly dreadful, It seems a shame no one has written a utility in all these years that mimics the way set-top boxes work, i.e. they just download listings, transponder changes etc, automatically. If I hadn't invested 8 years in this setup, no way would I recommend it to anyone, it's pure hell.

I may just bin it all off and get a humax pvr and be done with it, I'd lose the networkability and quad tuner aspect but it's just not worth it. I could write a proper utility myself that automatically configures freesat, but cannot justify the weeks/months it might take.

Dunno... don't even watch live-tv as much anymore but would like to have the choice.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 am

convertapple

Post by convertapple » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:53 pm

I had it all setup & but GuideTool trashed it. Do I waste another 6 hours or give up?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:33 pm

convertapple wrote:I had it all setup & but GuideTool trashed it. Do I waste another 6 hours or give up?
Did you have EPG123 setup?

or

Did you have EPG Collector setup?

or

Do you even know what you had setup?

jbunch

Post by jbunch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:50 am

Hi, I'm trying get latest version to use with epg123, but getting a 403 Forbidden error for site. Is there anywhere else to download the current application?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:03 am

jbunch wrote:but getting a 403 Forbidden error for site. Is there anywhere else to download the current application?
Are you visually impaired?

jbunch

Post by jbunch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:07 pm

A bit rude, but I assume you mean the file you posted? That doesn't appear to be the current version. The file attached to this thread is 1.2.4 and still gives me a "Failed to get WMIS lineups: no active region found" error. I saw in the EPG123 thread that you need the latest version of GuideTool when you don't have a region set, which I assume is either 1.2.5 or 1.4 that I can see listed through the google cache for 1geek1tool.com. So, I'm looking for whatever version works with EPG123.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:22 am

Whatever version I uploaded is the only version I have. Thanks for confirming you are not visually impaired.

Gary (the author of EPG123) says it doesn't work with EPG123. It appears to me that you have a non-working zip (Region?) stored in the registry. I don't know for sure how to change that...maybe try running WMC's Tv setup and use a different zip.

I don't see a post where anyone suggests using a GuideTool 1.2.5 or 1.4 (1.2.5 is not searchable)

If I were having the symptoms you are having, I would forget GuideTool for the moment, and ask for EPG123 support from Gary.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 73#p102273

sjtsnix

Post by sjtsnix » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:32 am

I attempted to reinstall GuideTool on my WMC system, and it would not activate.

Going to http://1geek1tool.com/, I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

is this software still supported?

thanks,
Stephen

fredx21

Post by fredx21 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:02 am

Hey guys,

The software is still supported. I use it myslef with epg123 (this is why I released 1.4.

The reason you saw these 403 errors is because we had problems with our server. This should be resolved now.

Fred

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 am

fredx21 wrote:Hey guys,

The software is still supported. I use it myslef with epg123 (this is why I released 1.4.

The reason you saw these 403 errors is because we had problems with our server. This should be resolved now.

Fred
Thanks Fred, Do you mind if I upload Version 1.4 here?

wmena

Post by wmena » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm still waiting for my activation code. Anyone know if the developer is still around?

Thanks!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 am

wmena wrote:I'm still waiting for my activation code. Anyone know if the developer is still around?

Thanks!
He was around a few days ago, click on his name and send a PM to Fredx21

bluesmachine

Post by bluesmachine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:45 pm

The main problem I have with WMC is when mcupdate.exe (WMC Store Update Manager) is running the WMC user interface stops working. It continues to play a show, but if you want to stop or rewind etc. the screen usually turns black and controls are frozen until mcupdate.exe finishes which can take several minutes.

I've struggled with this issue for years and here are some of the steps I have taken.
Searched the web for solutions, got and SSD, reloaded Win 7 from scratch (several times), replaced my gen 4 Pentium with an i3 that was twice as powerful. Now mcupdate.exe uses a max of 25% so I have plenty of headroom. But none of this helped at all.

So, I thought that if I deleted all the guide channels I wasn't using then mcupdate.exe would finish quicker, which led me to GuideTool.

When I first launched GuideTool I had 28 lineups and was able to trim down my WMC guide from 800+ to 200 channels, of which 50 are music, great!

12 hours later I wanted to make a few tweeks, some of the HD channels are not listed as HD in the local guide, and I wanted to see if any of the other 27 guides had those channels IDed correctly. So I relaunched GuideTool and there are 0 (zero) Lineups.

I rebooted, reinstalled GuideTool, deleted then installed again, but no joy. BTW my WMC user interface still freezes.

Any help on repopulating the Lineups GuideTool would be greatly appreciated.
If we can find a solution to my real issue, the WMC user interface freezing, you guys will be gods in my eyes. lol

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 pm

bluesmachine wrote:
1) The main problem I have with WMC is when mcupdate.exe (WMC Store Update Manager) is running the WMC user interface stops working.

2) I thought that if I deleted all the guide channels I wasn't using then mcupdate.exe would finish quicker, which led me to GuideTool. So I relaunched GuideTool and there are 0 (zero) Lineups.
First issue..... tell us a bit more about the PC you are using....Video Adapter, Ram, Network card, Motherboard, Etc.

Second issue..... I always thought that Guide Tool will only show you what lineups, channels, etc., that WMC has available to itself. I don't think Guide Tool can go out there and bring back something for you to inject into WMC. So if Guide Tool see's nothing...WMC has nothing. The two nothings are improbable. More than likely Guide Tool (GT) is unable to read the contents of WMC. I think we covered this completely earlier in the thread, but make sure WMC is not open when you open GT.

Make sure WMC is closed
Open GT
Click localhost
GT opens WMC, then shows you what GT has collected.

Third here are a few helpful hints...

BTW, if you pay the 5 bucks to register GT, you can make a backup of your changes, and restore everything at anytime. This is also a handy feature if you have more than one WMC....Do the work once....deleting channels, etc. backup the changes, then restore. Seans WMC backup is another handy tool if you want to backup all your Programmed Series. Both tools can save you a lot of work when you are in the process of smacking WMC into shape.

If you decide to ever do a fresh Win 7 again, soon after you get the Win 7 correct (updates, drivers, etc.) Do a System Image and a Restore Point. This way you can always go back to a fresh Win 7 instantly.

I will have to look up the command for you, but sometimes you can get away with just resetting WMC, rather than wiping out the whole Win 7. I posted a 40 step WMC Setup with pictures around here somewhere. I'll dig it up for you.

This is reset WMC a little...Setup Custom. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151

This is reset WMC completely.... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 58#p100858

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 pm

I use epg123 with GuideTool 1.4. My guide and database got seriously borked this week. I have everything back to the point that I only now need to re-do my custom channel numbering which is pretty extensive. I cannot seem to import my previously saved GuideTool Backup to make it easier. I can go back in and renumber channel by channel if needed but it would be nice to just import my custom guide listing. Any Suggestions? TIA
GT1.JPG
GT2.JPG

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Got it to work. I had to select the "Call Sign" instead of the "Guide Service" radio button and waalaa!
GT3.JPG
No only if there was a WiKi for this fine work called GuideTool!