GuideTool Discussion Thread

aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by aeblank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:18 pm

GIJOE4LIFE wrote:Once into guide tool I could change the most important channels that had the wrong data, but it would not let me add the cable channels that were not listed on the left side. For example channel 512 is one of the hbo's, the rovi guide does not have it on the left side of the guide tool, it won't let me add channel 512. If the channel number is not listed on the left pane of the guide tool, it will not let me add that channel number.
I think you need to manually add it in media center first.

From MikeDupp in another thread:

Manually add all your missing channels in WMC. Close WMC.
Start Guide Tool, click OK on the localhost dialog. Let WMC start. Minimize WMC.
Go back to Guide Tool and subscribe the newly added channels to new lineups. It's ok to mix and match lineups.
After you subscribe all of your manually added channels,close Guide Tool and maximize WMC again. Get latest Guide listings. Wait for notification that download is complete.
Close WMC, then restart it. Guide data should now be current.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:36 pm

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is....pay the donation fee so you can use the backup feature.

Also go to the hack7 site and look over the screen shot section. Lots of good tips in there.
Last edited by Crash2009 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:37 pm

[/quote]

I think you need to manually add it in media center first.

From MikeDupp in another thread:

Manually add all your missing channels in WMC. Close WMC.
Start Guide Tool, click OK on the localhost dialog. Let WMC start. Minimize WMC.
Go back to Guide Tool and subscribe the newly added channels to new lineups. It's ok to mix and match lineups.
After you subscribe all of your manually added channels,close Guide Tool and maximize WMC again. Get latest Guide listings. Wait for notification that download is complete.
Close WMC, then restart it. Guide data should now be current.[/quote]

Thanks, and I should have also said that I tried adding missing channels through media center but since the rovi update wmc only allows the addition of clear qam formatted channels XX.X. Reset wmc and then whenever I run signal setup, it returns to clear qam formatted input for channel numbers.
If I know it all, there is no reason to think and if I think, I don't need know it all
The Way it should Be

WyldWolf

Post by WyldWolf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:41 pm

All I had to do was go to TV signal, "scan for more channels". It then found my missing channels. Then open guidetool and assign those newly added channels to a source.

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Apologize for sending thread off at a tangent earlier, but if all other ways have been tried is there a way to use guide tool to add missing channels numbers?
If I know it all, there is no reason to think and if I think, I don't need know it all
The Way it should Be

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 am

How to set the guide information (subscribe) for a channel

August 13th, 2009

Follow these steps to configure the guide information for a specific channel

Select a channel from the left pane labeled ChannelsSelect the lineup from the lineup box, located on the top right, containing the guide data for the selected channelSelect a guide service from the right pane labeled Guide ServicesClick on subscribe button from the toolbar (small blue circular icon).

After clicking of the subscribe button, it can take a few minutes before Media Center starts downloading guide data for the new line. However, if the lineup data is already available, the guide data will appear immediately for your channel in Media Center.

http://1geek1tool.com/2009/08/13/how-to ... a-channel/

Is this what you're looking for?

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 am

Got it that works, Thanks. But there is a problem I can't seem to solve and want to know if guide tool can help.

Background: I have 330 cable channels, my homerun prime scan page says they are all there and the listings are correct, I also have a Homerun extend and the rovi ota (8 Channels) is correct. In my rovi listings for cable only channels 2 thru 70 are correct, 125 channel numbers are not listed at all, and the rest are mislabeled i.e. in wmc channel 277 has the listing for AMC when you select it there is no signal, AMC is really supposed to be at 105, but 105 has the listing for Nicktoons and takes you to the History channel. For the most important ones (ones I record programs from,) I see how I guide tool can change them.

The missing 125 channel numbers I only need 12 of them. The rovi guide data setup puts wmc in, the best I can come up with clear cam mode and not cablecard because to add channels it only put boxes for entry in the XX.X format. Is there a way to add those numbers through Guide Tool? The other strange thing is when I go in to edit channels for the listings and channel names to the right place the name will have Satellite (East) beside it, i.e. AMC Satellite (East). Just so everyone knows in signal setup there are four possible selections, TWC Digital Cable, AT&T Digital and a standard cable selection for each. I tried everything I can find on this site , set wmc to scan more channels no additional channels added. Yet the prime says they are there and are viewable in Homerun view application. I've left input at connect and rovi. I have 4 HTPC all the same.
The Way it should Be

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:46 am

GIJOE4LIFE

Post by GIJOE4LIFE » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:13 am

Crash2009 wrote:http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/screenshots/

Look in lineup selection.
In the screenshot in the link, the left side displays channel name , number and subscribes service and so on. Also in that screenshot it shows the numbers sequentially i.e. 47,48,49 even though 48 and 49 are unchecked they are in the list. When 'm running guide tool my listing are i.e. 511,515,516 there are no unchecked boxes, even when channel 512, 513, and 514 are really there rovi says they are not so wmc says they are not, I can not get them or any of the 117 others into wmc. I have never seen it and don't understand it on 4 pcs the only thing changed is the guide.
The Way it should Be

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:48 am

The channels you are looking for are in one of the Lineups
Attachments
LineupSelection.JPG

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Is it possible to add channels if you are using a CableCard tuner? I tried to manually add a channel in WMC first, before using GuideTool, but the option to add a missing channel is not shown in WMC.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 pm

^ Yes, click the green blob that almost looks like a PCI card to add channels.

You only have to add for the first tuner, all other available tuners will update too
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm

A couple more little "Tips"

Highlight a channel (WJBK 2, in the example) Then "Mouse-over" the icons beside the Refresh Button. The names of all the buttons (left to right )are:

Refresh....Tuners.....DVBlink.....ShowOnlyChannelsVisibleInTheGuide.....ChangeName.....ChangeNumber

RevertNameChange.....RevertNumberChange.....DeleteChannel.....SubscribeBy

SubscribeGuideServiceToChannel.....UnsubscribeFromGuideService

MergeTuners.....Merge.....Split.....and finally Lineup with a dropdown of all your available Lineups (20 in my case)
Attachments
GuideTool002.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:36 pm

STC wrote:^ Yes, click the green blob that almost looks like a PCI card to add channels.You only have to add for the first tuner, all other available tuners will update too
Wow, it was pretty easy to add a missing channel in GuideTool. Although, all other instructions I've read indicate that you have to add a new channel to each tuner individually. Is that not the case with CableCard?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Oh, I see what you did now. You just click the "Tuners Button".

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Scallica wrote:
STC wrote:^ Yes, click the green blob that almost looks like a PCI card to add channels.You only have to add for the first tuner, all other available tuners will update too
Wow, it was pretty easy to add a missing channel in GuideTool. Although, all other instructions I've read indicate that you have to add a new channel to each tuner individually. Is that not the case with CableCard?
Through testing I have only ever had to add a channel to one tuner and then can receive the channel on all tuners.

When I backup or restore the lineup through Guidetool, I only perform the task to the first tuner and all tuners tune.

It's possible that if you have multiple tuner cards or external boxes, it may affect how Guidetool does it's stuff but for a single multiple tuner unit such as the ETH6 you only have to futz with a single tuner.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I just did it to each tuner, and then merged the resulting channels. It's not gonna hurt anything if you do it that way either.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

^ Of course, it just takes more time, and I'm all for saving that ;)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:30 pm

STC wrote:It's possible that if you have multiple tuner cards or external boxes, it may affect how Guidetool does it's stuff but for a single multiple tuner unit such as the ETH6 you only have to futz with a single tuner.
Oh ok. Yea, for the HDHR, each individual tuner has it's own tuner ID number. You have to have to add each channel to each tuner ID separately.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:22 pm

^ That makes sense.

+1 for Ceton at least!