Anyone use a LPT based VFD under Windows 7 x64 ?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone use a LPT based VFD under Windows 7 x64 ?

Post by DavidinCT » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Hey all,

Upgraded my HTPC with memory, now I need to run x64 (been running x32 always), I tried to use the program I have been using for years under x32, LCDwriter and it's always worked but, under x64 bit, after 2 days playing with it and different versions, it does not look like it works with LCDwriter.

Does anyone know of some other software I can use to get WMC notifications on my VFD like I have been forever UNDER x64 ?

This is bothering me so much where I am about to say screw the extra memory and go back to x32, even though I think it would help the machine a little.

Anyone ? I am going Nuts here with this one...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue May 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Who makes the display? I use the imon software compatible with my display. There's lcd smartie and front view to name a couple of others.

Frontview:
http://www.maxbsoft.com/Windows/FrontVi ... 41963.html

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue May 26, 2015 6:50 pm

mcewinter wrote:Who makes the display? I use the imon software compatible with my display. There's lcd smartie and front view to name a couple of others.

Frontview:
http://www.maxbsoft.com/Windows/FrontVi ... 41963.html
It's a Printer Port 2X20 row VFD (I'll check the specs when I get home), it's in a Ahanix D-vine 3 case (it came with it).

Edit: It's a hd44780 based display.

Looked LCD smartie and their forums are no more, so I could not find any details on getting it to work with WMC and Frontview software is there but, the company is no more, if you get the shareware you will only get a demo with no option to purchase to get unlocked (a forever demo).
Last edited by DavidinCT on Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue May 26, 2015 7:01 pm

I know I purchased it. Let me see what I can dig up.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 pm

mcewinter wrote:I know I purchased it. Let me see what I can dig up.
Thanks, I'll continue to play with LCDWriter to see if have any luck but, starting to run out of options..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Replace the VFD with a USB LCD. Easy to retrofit. I used nMedia Pro LCD in my Ahanix D4. I think I bought mine for around 15 USD quite a few years ago.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
mcewinter wrote:I know I purchased it. Let me see what I can dig up.
Thanks, I'll continue to play with LCDWriter to see if have any luck but, starting to run out of options..
All I have is the username and key.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed May 27, 2015 3:48 pm

STC wrote:Replace the VFD with a USB LCD. Easy to retrofit. I used nMedia Pro LCD in my Ahanix D4. I think I bought mine for around 15 USD quite a few years ago.
Is this the model ?
http://nmediapc.com/prolcd.htm'

What software do you use on X64 ? Does it wire internally to a USB port, or do I need to bring it externally and plug it in the back ?

If I can get a better one, that has better software support for under $20 or so, it would be a no brainer...

The LPT port one works fine with LCDwriter under x32 but, I have had 0 luck getting it running under x64. So if you really have a better option that is not a nightmare to configure (software wise) and works 100% with WMC (7 or 8), I am all ears on the details !
mcewinter wrote:
All I have is the username and key.
Oh, yea, it seems I should be able to get the software but, even if it did work, I cant buy it as it's no longer made.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 28, 2015 1:56 am

Yes it is although the one I have is green output and came without the 5.25" bay mount.
I run the stock crap software which works fine for WMC64.
It connects to a USB internal header.

The 20x2 LCD display backlight is quite strong, but the stock Ahanix chassis window screen works well to dim it down.
The viewing angle of the display is best head-on or below axis.

Drivers: http://www.nmediapc.com/LCD/download.htm

Missing Remote did one *AFTER* I did mine ;) http://www.missingremote.com/guide/repl ... -ahanix-d4
You don't need to do half the overly complicated things they did: sticky foam pads were all I used to be an insulator for the board and to mount it in perfect position. Hasn't moved in 5+ years.
With the space in the window screen to the side of the LCD display, I re-mounted the HDD LED and added a green LED for LEDs driver to show how many tuners are in use.
http://slicksolutions.eu/ledsdriver.shtml
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 28, 2015 7:17 pm

STC wrote:Yes it is although the one I have is green output and came without the 5.25" bay mount.
I run the stock crap software which works fine for WMC64.
It connects to a USB internal header.

The 20x2 LCD display backlight is quite strong, but the stock Ahanix chassis window screen works well to dim it down.
The viewing angle of the display is best head-on or below axis.

Drivers: <snip- too many URLs, limit of 3>

Missing Remote did one *AFTER* I did mine ;) http://www.missingremote.com/guide/repl ... -ahanix-d4
You don't need to do half the overly complicated things they did: sticky foam pads were all I used to be an insulator for the board and to mount it in perfect position. Hasn't moved in 5+ years.
With the space in the window screen to the side of the LCD display, I re-mounted the HDD LED and added a green LED for LEDs driver to show how many tuners are in use.
<snip- too many URLs, limit of 3>
Thanks for the info...

I used the space next to the VFD to put an IR sensor, to keep everything internal (it blinks when IR is received). I got this machine(HP) when Vista REQURED a dedicated machine to use cablecards. There was an internal card with a tiny IR receiver, I gutted it and put it inside the case. I actually think the only thing left from the HP machine is the IR receiver. :)

Is this the same thing as you have ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161712161609?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This is the PRO but, not the "B", under pictures it looks like mine... It shows as a Blue one and does not look like it's back lit like the B, more to what I have now.

My LPT VFD setup works fine (flawless, no dead pixels or anything) besides LCDwriter x64 and with the one on ebay being $33, it seems a little much for something to replace what I have that does work.

Anyway, after some research I found out what was going on... LCDwriter calls to a hwinterfacex64.sys to enable the display that is NOT signed, if you didn't know Windows x64 bit requires all drivers to be signed (requiring a large certification cost from MS. So this is why it would not load up and free apps/drives don't have the $$ support to do that).

So I put my x64 system in a driver test mode, and used a 3rd party tool to fake Sign the driver, and it works. Not the best way but, my display works now (at work but, my wife confirmed it lighted up). Even made myself a "how to" incase I need to rebuild later.

I'll know more when I get home but, from what I see over a remote connection, it appears to be loading fine and my wife confirms it lit up but, need to confirm it's pulling data from MCE...

Progress....WOW I might of finally moved to x64 after using WMC on x32 from day 1....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Yea, after all my testing, I got my old LPT VFD working on Windows 7 x64 (should work on 8.1 as well), It's a hack but, it works perfect for this. This is something I figured out and a little shocked that no one else has, as there was a lot of people having this issue. I notified the developer Andy (who created LCD writer) and he is going to update the MSI for all users who need it working on x64.

Although it would be nice to update it a little but, there is no need or want to spend money on a new one (as it works 100%), and if I upgrade to a new motherboard, as long as it's got a PCI-E slot, I should be good to go (grabbed a card for $12 and got it's ports mapped out, so it's easy once the software works).

If anyone wants to try it or see the details on what I found, here is the thread I created on this subject.

http://babgvant.com/forums/t/5502.aspx

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help here ! As normal love this site, just wish MS didn't kill off WMC so it would be more active here.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave