auto rip n compress + WHS 2011= 6 hour rip process?

maxwellh

HTPC Specs: Show details

auto rip n compress + WHS 2011= 6 hour rip process?

Post by maxwellh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 pm

hello,

i have been using auto rip n compress for some time now(thanks) and i just added a windows home server into the mix. if i rip to a local disk on the HTPC rip process takes ~45 minutes for a bluray. if i set the server as the destination ripping the bluray takes about 6 hours :shock: .

ive noticed the actual ripping process takes about twice as long ~1 1/2 hours over my 100mb/s network, but then copying the file from the "temp" dir (on the server) to the "final" dir (also on the server) takes several hours.

i know i need to upgrade my network to gigabit, and its coming soon, but whats the deal with the copy process after the rip? the temp and final directories are on the same disk, it should only take a second to "copy" from temp to final like if it was on the HTPC.

i don't know how to prove or disprove this but i suspect rip n compress is copying the "temp" from the server to the htpc then back to the "final" on the server.

thanks for any help.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 am

In what you describe there are a couple things.

1. The local drive is much faster than your network. Thus the rip process takes less time.

2 You are ripping to a temp folder on the remote server. Data is being sent over the network to the remote folder. That's one trip across the wire. Now when the rip is complete and the file is being sent from the temp folder to the final storage location which is also on the same remote server. However the file copy is not processed soley on the remote server. Which would be logical right. However Windows is kind of stupid in that it's copying the temp file from that remote folder to the final storage using your HTPC as the path. So data is traveling back to your HTPC and then back in the opposite direction the the final storage location.

Pull up the task manager and look at what's happening on the network when the file move from the temp location to the final location is happening. I suspect you will see utilization in both directions.
Last edited by Venom51 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

maxwellh

Post by maxwellh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 am

that is what i suspected. my next logical step is to place the temp dir on the local disc of the htpc and the final dir on the remote server, hopefully causing only one trip across the network.

what im hoping for is a setting or something that will allow the temp and final dir to be on the remote server without multiple data trips across bat country, but with windows being windoze, im betting that it wont work.