Netflix Add-in search fix

Mpgrimm2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 am

From post 21. Hopefully you saw it.
I just installed it myself and it does work! Thanks to jlunman.
jlunman wrote:Good news - I have a fix!

The problem is with a Microsoft-hosted web server, not Netflix. Media Center is trying to contact https://ehome.vo.msecnd.net/, which is currently responding with a "504 - Gateway Timeout" error.

The good news is that the failing server is not actually responsible for the search itself. All it does is provide Media Center with a bit of meta information (the "search taxonomy") about what its Internet TV search providers are, and what sort of filters they support, etc. Most of those were for the old Internet TV channels that are officially discontinued anyway. All that really remains is Netflix.
It turns out you can override the search taxonomy URL with a registry entry. So I created a simple Windows Service that acts as a local substitute for Microsoft's broken server, and serves up a dirt-simple SearchTaxonomy document with the minimum necessary information to allow Windows Media Center to initialize the Netflix search.

You can download it here. Extract the files and run Install.bat, with the "Run As Administrator" command. Once installed, the Netflix search should just work.

The code is hosted on GitHub, if you're curious about the technical details.

Enjoy!

jim97219

Post by jim97219 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 am

Mpgrimm2, if you're referring to me, yes, I did see it (thank you!) but it's not installing for me. Hoping someone can help.

I ran the program jlunman mentions on page 2 of this posting but I can't get it to install on my computer. I get an "installation FAILED. See Install.log for details."
Install.log gives me this:
Installing assembly 'C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.exe'.
Affected parameters are:
logtoconsole =
assemblypath = C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.exe
logfile = C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.InstallLog
Installing service MceNflx...
Creating EventLog source MceNflx in log Application...
Rolling back assembly 'C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.exe'.
Affected parameters are:
logtoconsole =
assemblypath = C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.exe
logfile = C:\Users\xxx\Documents\MceNflx\MCENFLX.InstallLog
Restoring event log to previous state for source MceNflx.
An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the System.Diagnostics.EventLogInstaller installer.
System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.
An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete."

How do I restore the search function in Netflix/WMC? Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:25 am

If you don't run as administrator, it will fail.

jim97219

Post by jim97219 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:26 am

mdavej wrote:If you don't run as administrator, it will fail.
Ran it as administrator and I seem to be good to go.
Your reply is most appreciated!