MEDIA CENTER MASTER

guppy

HTPC Specs: Show details

MEDIA CENTER MASTER

Post by guppy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 am

I just downloaded Media Center Master. I entered the path to "My Movies" folder. It seems to be downloading stuff now. What else do I need to do? Do I need to run it every so often or does it start it self up and run in the back ground every time I boot up? What do the colors mean, some movies to the left have a highlight red across them, others have yellow and most have no highlight, or just a white background?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 pm

guppy wrote:I just downloaded Media Center Master. I entered the path to "My Movies" folder. It seems to be downloading stuff now. What else do I need to do? Do I need to run it every so often or does it start it self up and run in the back ground every time I boot up? What do the colors mean, some movies to the left have a highlight red across them, others have yellow and most have no highlight, or just a white background?
Let it Run..., It will download Movie Art, .xml's for each movie and Backdrops for each movie and place them in each movie Folder.

Once it's done the movies in the list that are white are completed corectly. (Movie Artwork,XML and Backdrops.)
The movies that are highlighted Yellow have some of the data but for some reason it could not get one of the 3..either a (Movie Artwork,XML or Backdrop) is missing. You may at that point have to find that manually online. Usually a Google search will help you find artwork/Backdrops.. etc, If the .XML is missing its because MCM couldn't determine what movie it was correctly..There may be multiple movies with the same title..Like Star Wars for instance where there are multiple episodes or a movie that has been re-made with the same title. It's MCM's way of making sure it pulls the correct data you want for the right movie.
To fix this make sure your movies are in a folder structure that MCM and Media Browser use.. for instance the Movie Top Gun.
Name the folder Top Gun (1985) . This tells MCM and MB that the movie title is Top Gun released in year (1985) so it can pull the correct Metadata.

The highlighted Red ones it could not determine the movie and was unable to download the data. Fixing the folder structure on the movie and adding the year of release in between ( and ) usually fixes this.
HTH,
newfiend~

guppy

Post by guppy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 am

Thanks for all the info Newfiend, it really helped.

How about trailers, what do I need to get it to work? It is greyed out. Can I download trailers somewhere?

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:46 am

The trailer download is not part of the free version. awile back mcm went subscription based but he kept the core part's free. It is a nice upgrade but if the movie is over a year or so old the trailer is not alwase availble anymore. About 50% of my movies have trailers thank's to MCM. Very nice program IMHO.

guppy

Post by guppy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:11 am

So how do I do the trailers manually and what format are they suppossed to be in?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 pm

guppy wrote:So how do I do the trailers manually and what format are they suppossed to be in?
I don't use Trailers for my Media Browser but you can probably find the answers to your Media Browser Questions in the Media Browser Forums..
I found some info for you here.. hopefully it will get you started. You will probably need a plug-in found in the Media Browser Configurator, you can launch this from the Windows Desktop and then click the Plug in Tab. You can add different themes and plug-ins for Media Browser here to change the way it looks and functions. Hit the link below for some trailer info.

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... pport-work

newfiend~

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 am

guppy wrote:So how do I do the trailers manually and what format are they suppossed to be in?
As far as format goes as long as media center can play them you are good. pretty much any theme will see it you just put a "trailers" folder in you movie folder and place the trailer file named "trailer" in it. There will then be a Trailer icon or word on the movie details page in media browser. As far as downloading them I think there may be a program just for trailer downloads but im not sure. Looking at the Media Browser site can be very helpfull as newfiend also suggested. Hope this help's, happy trailer hunting.

guppy

Post by guppy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:30 am

I did not know mediabrowser had a forum. I'll pester those guys too. Thanks for all the info. I'm downloading trailers tonight and I'll try to set them up tomorrow. My wife asks EVERY time, what is this movie about, now I can just play the trailer and see if we want to watch it or not.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 pm

How's media browser working out for you?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

guppy

Post by guppy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:29 pm

newfiend wrote:How's media browser working out for you?

well I downloaded it to my "test" pc and it is cool. but now I am wondering if I should go with My Movies 3? I think I will try them both out before I install one on my HTPC. Being that My Movies 3 has the trailers built in is nice. Any feedback from anyone on a GUI would be especially appreciated right now.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 am

Only thing I didn't like about my movies was the fact that you had to contribute a lot to unlock features. I am not against contributing but I just didn't have the time to do that, I have a large family and I manage a store and that takes up most of my time. I liked media browser better as I could donate and get the features I wanted sooner. I am not sure if my movies is still set up that way or not but I believe it used to be.
HTH,
newfiend

guppy

Post by guppy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 am

newfiend wrote:Only thing I didn't like about my movies was the fact that you had to contribute a lot to unlock features. I am not against contributing but I just didn't have the time to do that, I have a large family and I manage a store and that takes up most of my time. I liked media browser better as I could donate and get the features I wanted sooner. I am not sure if my movies is still set up that way or not but I believe it used to be.
HTH,
newfiend

Yup after posting I went over to the My Movie website and was kinda bummed that you had to pay-per-feature or $100 gets everything. I think I will play with Media Browser some more first.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 am

It has really worked well for me and they are always updating it. Its well suppoted and works well for me, hope it will work out for you.. Hope you can find the trailers you need and get it the way you like. It takes a bit to configure / learn but once you get it figured out I think you will be happy.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:09 am

MCM is the best metadata downloader I have used. The only annoying thing is that every time you launch the app, it checks and downloads an update. If there is a connectivity issue, sometimes it will freeze. There appears to be no easy way to disable auto-update. i was able to disable it using a registry tweak.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

abobader

Post by abobader » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Good day,

Regarding metadata program, MCM is ok, but I switch to MetaBrowser since it have many options for trailers and a like, as well it a paid program.

If you will be going by Media Browser, then to my personal view, metabrowser is better.

My best

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 am

Scallica wrote:MCM is the best metadata downloader I have used. The only annoying thing is that every time you launch the app, it checks and downloads an update. If there is a connectivity issue, sometimes it will freeze. There appears to be no easy way to disable auto-update. i was able to disable it using a registry tweak.
There is a way to turn off auto update. from the main screen click "Application" and then uncheck "use auto update. And I agree this is the best metadata downloader I have used.