My Channel Logos XL

makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Channel Logos XL

Post by makryger » Mon May 20, 2013 9:54 pm

What is it? MCL is an application thats main function is to display logos in your Windows Media Center guide. It also can enhance your guide in other ways, by minimizing dead space, increasing the number of rows and columns in your guide, and showing/hiding/swapping channel numbers, callsigns, and logos.

What new Guide mods are there in MCL XL over MCL Version 2? Now, you can add up to 12 rows, without shrinking any text or losing information. You can view 3 hours of guide data at once. And importantly, this all works in Windows 8 now.

What new with logos in MCL XL over MCL Version 2? Years ago, we asked the WMC team at microsoft to give us more room for logos before they released Windows 7. But they couldn't decipher their code to do it. Now, we're proud to say that we've figured out how to change it for you. Now you can add logos that are 20% wider than before. We've included a new package of US logos that work in the new wider space. These logos are also twice the quality . Every logo- wide or not- is now 20% more efficiently sized . Big Logos for other countries- specifically Canada and the UK- are pending, however you're free to make your own resized logos now.

Also, we have a new "HD" button. When active, it matches autopopulate as usual. Logos for HD channels go to HD channels, and logos for SD channels go to SD channels. Now, when you inactivate this button, logo or SD channels will automatically match with HD channels, to save space if you don't need the 'HD' indicator.

Why should I download this? The MCL guide makes an HTPC one of the best DVRs out there. It's easy to navigate, easy to read, HD quality text, with customizable guide listings. But your guide can be even better! Adding logos makes channels instantly recognizable- as opposed to seeing APL- you see the Animal Planet logo. Instead of seeing WMAQ, you'll see the NBC logo. It makes navigation much better. As well, changing your guide settings will let you see more rows and more data at once. With the standard comcast DVR, you'll see four rows of channels, and one advertisement. With native WMC, you'll get six rows of channels. With MCL, you'll get up to 12 rows of channels and 3 hours of data at once.

What versions are there? There's only one version this time around: MCL XL. MCL Lite is no longer available. If you are unhappy with the program, we will help troubleshoot, and if that doesn't work, we can offer you a discount. Pricing is $5 for the program, for all your computers. $10 if you're feeling generous!

I heard that MCL is consistently called one of the best add-ins for media center by multiple podcasts, technology news sites and blogs, and it should be the first thing you install on your HTPC. Is that true? Why yes, yes it is. You must be very smart.

Now compatible with Windows 8.1

For more information and pictures, visit the My Channel Logos website!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 pm

FAQs:

I've been waiting for over 12 hours for my download email but it hasn't arrived! What should I do?
The emails are supposed to go out automatically and within an hour, but from time to time the various steps in the process breakdown. Sometimes it's paypal... sometimes it's windows 10 updating without asking me... sometimes its a down email server... sometimes it's a power outage on my home computer.
Whatever the case may be, I sometimes don't realize it's down until someone reaches out to me to tell me their download has not arrived! The BEST way to contact me is to send me a PM through TGB.tv. That bypasses windows 10, the MCL email server, my home computer, and paypal. That way I can research the issue and get you your program ASAP.

When are you going to officially update to Windows 10?
Windows Media Center is not supported in Windows 10, and even when the brilliant minds on the internet figure out how to get it to work, Microsoft breaks it every so often. WMC in W10 has become a moving target for guide modifications, and to be able to send out a new update everytime WMC breaks or MCL breaks is not feasible at this time. That being said, there are various reports that MCL XL does work in WMC in Windows 10, to varying degrees depending on who you talk to. So right now, not officially supported, but if you do have your installer, you might have some success. Your mileage may vary.

I purchased MCL v2 in the past. Am I eligible for the new version for free?
Unfortunately, having purchased a prior version of MCL does not qualify you for the new version. Months went into developing this new version, and to offer it free to those who bought MCL v2 would have made all the effort that went into it effectively worthless. MCL XL has many new features, and is offered for a reasonable price that (even in combination with MCL v2) is cheaper than most other options out there. If you would like access to the new features and updated logos, you'll need to purchase the new version.

Will the upgrade button in MCL v2 work to get MCL XL?
No, it will not work. You'll need to download a new copy of the program from the website. But once downloaded, you can just upgrade directly by using the new installer.

I lost my previously purchased copy of MCL XL, MCL v2, MCL 1, TunerSalad or ThirtyTwo-nerSalad. Can I get another copy?
If you purchased either of these programs within the last month, I can send you a new copy for free.
Remember to always keep a backup; hard-drive failures and upgrades can occur without warning. If you did not take my advice in the download email and keep the installer, then please considering purchasing again.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Purchased :)

Some pics of the 12 row guide on the site maybe?

Edit: Are you gonna keep a db of my email/username/password or am I gonna have to save this somewhere (would prefer not to)?

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 pm

12-line guide picture coming soon...

To answer your DB question, unfortunately, you're going to have to save the installer. I end up answering many emails a day asking to redownload, and its very difficult to devote all that time. It's <4MB, so it's not going to make a big dent in your hard drive space. You'll be able to redownload for the next month if need be.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Yeah I did that with the previous release, and never needed a re-dl. The fact that there's a password now to dl just made me wonder about that.

A pic of the 12-Row Guide for anyone wondering:

I was wondering if the word 'guide' had been removed, or shrunk even more or something like in the previous version. This answers that question :)

nick

Post by nick » Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks!

Just installed without any issues and love the 12x3 view!

sivart321

Post by sivart321 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 am

Website down?

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue May 21, 2013 12:53 am

sivart321 wrote:Website down?
Working on my end...
www.mychannellogos.com

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 am

Just Bought the new XL version .. One of my favorite plugin's still.. Thanks Makryger! 12 rows of guide info...WOW... makes me want a bigger 4K TV though.... :D

LanceWebb

Post by LanceWebb » Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 am

If I make any changes to XL, other than the default, WMC will no longer open on Windows 8. It try's and times out. Installed over top of v2.07.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue May 21, 2013 8:51 am

LanceWebb wrote:If I make any changes to XL, other than the default, WMC will no longer open on Windows 8. It try's and times out. Installed over top of v2.07.
It's probably not a good idea to install XL on top of v2 is my guess. If you don't have any custom stuff to lose, just uninstall both XL and the old V2, reboot and try again? (my guess)

I have v2 running right now still, I'm going to see what the official suggestion is before I try XL.
EDIT: who am I kidding, I need to try this asap! I uninstalled v2, installed XL, Windows 8 x64 Media Center is up and running no problem here.

Love it! <3

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 am

Paid it last night, will install it today and let you know.

Happy to support the WMC devs out there.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am

LanceWebb wrote:If I make any changes to XL, other than the default, WMC will no longer open on Windows 8. It try's and times out. Installed over top of v2.07.
Yeah, installing over 2.30 works fine (this was the only version that actually worked with W8).

If you're getting this time-out behavior, please send me a message through the website, and I'll send you a small app to reset some settings.

werds

Post by werds » Tue May 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I am so upgrading to this and purchasing when I get home tonight... or later this week, whenever the wife lets me get at the HTPC lol. Is it ok to install this on top of the old version? Running Win7x64 if it matters...

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Upgrading to MCLXL from any version of MCLv2 in Windows 7 should work fine.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 pm

sivart321 wrote:Website down?
Same here?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Loading OK here.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 am

If you're having site issues, maybe try refreshing, trying a new browser, or clearing your cache.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Upgraded last night, definitely missed the 10 row guide. Thanks for your efforts makryger!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed May 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Excellent work, makryger. No issues here, but a question. I have some custom icons which are no longer used that I'd like to delete. But I can tell exactly which ones aren't used. Is there an easy way to tell by looking at a log or the registry or something?

TIA