Recorded TV HD Addin

IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:06 am

Fair enough, completely understand the need to have a working system.

Out of interest, what version have you reverted to?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 20, 2022 11:01 pm

Hmmmm... The series and episodes for "This is Us" vanished from the RTVHD interface. They exist in the settings module but they don't show up in the interface.

After starting and stopping the service a few times I moved them out of the recorded tv folder and then moved them back in. No luck. The episodes moved in and out of the settings so it appeared that they were being recognized there. They still didn't show up in the interface.

I stopped the service, opened the database (RecordedTVHDdb.s3db), and deleted the series and episodes. I saved the database, restarted the service, and then moved the files back into the recorded tv folder. RTVHD created the series, assigned the episodes, and they showed up in the interface like normal. I opened a few as usual and then exited WMC.

The next time I opened WMC, no luck. They aren't in the interface but they are in the settings module. There are 65 series with recordings and this is the only one that's having any issues.

It just started yesterday and I haven't done any system or software updates, upgrades, downgrades, etc. for months, if not years. Windows updates have been disabled for years.

Other than that one series, everything is working as expected. Any ideas on how to proceed or what to try next?

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri May 20, 2022 11:14 pm

Hmm, I’ve had the odd programme disappear like that before. Somehow getting flagged as watched/deleted. Moving the file out of the folder and then back in has always fixed it.
Do you happen to have any series combines/overrides in the INI file which might be the cause?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri May 20, 2022 11:23 pm

I have some combines and overrides but nothing to do with that particular series.

I've deleted the old database because it had around 250 series, most which aren't used anymore. I'm currently letting it rebuild. :think:

EDIT 1 - Any idea why some of the series don't have a MCID?

EDIT 2 - It's working now. :clap: It turns out that any series with missing MCID's became duplicates with the duplicate having an MCID. Merging them got rid of that anomaly.

It also appears that an episode of a different series had information for "This is Us" in the properties of the actual wtv file. I think this may have been from a corrupt entry in the guide? :wtf:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun May 22, 2022 1:43 pm

If the recording (or other media file) doesn't have the MCID metadata then you just get the title as above. I have a lot of these because I use RTVHD as a browser for both OTA recordings and other media files. In some cases I will have the same show from two sources which does create a duplicate series (for example season 1 from media files and season 2 from OTA). This will cause the series to appear twice in the GUI initially. However, once merged in RTVHD Settings, they are combined into a single series with two seasons.

I think some bad metadata was the cause of your disappearing issue. Perhaps causing the episodes to be associated with the unrelated series? Anyhow, glad to hear it is sorted now.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun May 22, 2022 4:47 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:43 pmI think some bad metadata was the cause of your disappearing issue. Perhaps causing the episodes to be associated with the unrelated series? Anyhow, glad to hear it is sorted now.
You nailed it. For some reason I found three unrelated episodes where the filename was the name of the series but the properties of the wtv file were for a different series entirely. Once I deleted the file that had the erroneous "This is Us" information, everything started working as expected.

Since these recordings occurred months ago and appear to be a one-off, no further analysis required! ;)

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 am

Is this add in no longer available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:29 am

Jacoats wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 am Is this add in no longer available ?

It's no longer supported, but you can still download and use it as far as I know (I don't use it).

You can get it (and the product key needed to register the "paid" version) from the archive.org archive of the site.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:38 am

Whilst it is no longer supported by the original developer there is a community-made update. You’ll need this to patch the official version so that it will work. Full details and everything you need can be found linked in my signature.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:32 am

Thanks. I’m looking at this again. Will this allow .TS files to show up in recorded tv ?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:45 pm

You can configure which additional file types it monitors. I haven't personally tried .TS, but I do use it with .MP4 and .MKV types. These then appear, merged with regular WTV recordings, in its own enhanced version of Recorded TV, rather than standard Media Center one. This doesn't enable playback though, you would need to install and configure the required codecs to achieve this.

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:10 pm

I came upon this post string while searching for a way to exclude movies from Recorded TV view in WMC, because mine is too cluttered with movies to find my series quickly. Relocating movies to another library folder has too many drawbacks to be my solution. So I downloaded the Recorded TV HD add in, its patch and then installed both. After poking around and experimenting with the settings, I must say I am impressed! :clap:

Pros so Far... The uncluttered Recorded TV HD view (without movies) is great, my goal was achieved with that alone and the poster art instead of a random TV show snapshot thumbnail (sometimes of a commercial or credits) is a real bonus too. The art override function works real well, and I created an art folder for easier back ups to save the images and screen snips from Internet searches for any unavailable TVDB art into it. RTVHD remembers the path too. Love the look of no more colored boxes replacing missing art. I will have to play with the themes next. :D

Cons so Far... Neither the TV or Movie library views have the list count like WMC. An example is Jeopardy! was position 65 of 389, I could scroll quickly while watching the count to stop almost exactly on target, instead of trying to read titles whizzing by on the screen. However, the now uncluttered sans movies view may make this a less important feature, I hope. Also, I really miss the thumbnail view WMC has for series episodes, because the RTVHD list view is a bit cumbersome, or at least unfamiliar to me. The episode count badge covers up too much of the poster art, so I turned it off, but I would keep it if it were in a lower corner and half the size. ;)

Those were nit-picky comments, and I do appreciate the developer's effort here. I wish it were still an active project, because it has immense potential. I have an Internet only 50" 4K smart TV without satellite or cable TV, but it streams Apple TV, Amazon Prime, Comcast Flex, HBO Max, and Netflix, so I do not need Windows Media Center to do anything more than record TV series and TV movies from my 100 mile range broadcast antenna's 40+ digital high definition channels. It does that very well, and even more so thanks to the Recorded TV HD add in and patch! :thumbup:

Thank you for maintaining it in archive. Cheers My Friends! :wave:

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:10 pmI really miss the thumbnail view WMC has for series episodes, because the RTVHD list view is a bit cumbersome, or at least unfamiliar to me. The episode count badge covers up too much of the poster art, so I turned it off, but I would keep it if it were in a lower corner and half the size.
I've been using RTVHD for many years. I'm not experiencing any issues with either the count badge or the episode thumbnails. Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Here's what I see in mine -> https://imgur.com/a/STE0HtU

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:05 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 pm
Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:10 pmI really miss the thumbnail view WMC has for series episodes, because the RTVHD list view is a bit cumbersome, or at least unfamiliar to me. The episode count badge covers up too much of the poster art, so I turned it off, but I would keep it if it were in a lower corner and half the size.
I've been using RTVHD for many years. I'm not experiencing any issues with either the count badge or the episode thumbnails. Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Here's what I see in mine -> https://imgur.com/a/STE0HtU
StinkyImp,

My series view with episode count badges looks yours. It's just that the badges are quite large and cover some of the art (that I love being able to see now). :thumbup: Example is in your view of Family Law that has some of the title blocked. Since RTVHD does not include the series title below the image like WMC does, one must rely on the artistic titles in the images to know which series it is. WMC does not have episode counts, per se, so I do not miss the count badge after turning it off. As far as the episode view within the series, I am just used to WMC's scrolling thumbnail view of the information, so getting used to the change may take me a while. Isn't refusing to change the reason we are all here on this forum trying to keep our beloved WMC alive? :?:

This is the RTVHD episode view: https://imgur.com/291WMMq
This is the WMC view I am used to: https://imgur.com/rygUEQn

Thank you, :wave:

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:05 pmExample is in your view of Family Law that has some of the title blocked.
Granted I've used this for years and have become accustomed to how mine looks. RTVHD has fairly robust options for modifying settings for series and episodes (and much more). You can find it in your Start menu in the Recorded TV HD folder.

Family Law coverart change -> https://imgur.com/a/7lMdCrV

Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:05 pm This is the WMC view I am used to: https://imgur.com/rygUEQn
I've never messed with this but someone else that knows more about RTVHD may chime in. The thumbnails in each RTVHD episode (at the bottom by the episode description) are satisfactory for my purposes! ;)

Look at the "Coroner" screenshot above.

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:14 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 pm
Hi-Def_PCs wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:05 pm This is the WMC view I am used to: https://imgur.com/rygUEQn
I've never messed with this but someone else that knows more about RTVHD may chime in. The thumbnails in each RTVHD episode (at the bottom by the episode description) are satisfactory for my purposes! ;)

Look at the "Coroner" screenshot above.
StinkyImp,

I'm starting to get used to the different look, and I've already been using the RTVHD Settings feature.
I love the ability to override or correct poster and background art. :thumbup: However, the Tips & Tricks
page comes up blank for me. See below. Was it under construction when development stopped? :(
BTW, Media Center Studio has worked for me pretty well so far too! :clap:

https://imgur.com/abnR22t

Thank You, :wave:

Edit: Today a prompt flashed briefly when I opened Tips & Tricks, it said,
"Index is outside the bounds of the array." Whatever that may mean? :crazy:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 am

Glad to hear you found RTVHD and are finding it useful. In addition to the separate Movies view the Favorites feature is a great way to subdivide things further into additional views.

I am not certain, but I suspect the Tips & Tricks page is attempting to pull in an external web page which is long gone. When the patch was worked on the Media Center Extension part was left untouched. Unfortunately we don’t have the original source code and so reverse engineering that would be rather difficult.

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:15 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 am Glad to hear you found RTVHD and are finding it useful. In addition to the separate Movies view the Favorites feature is a great way to subdivide things further into additional views.
I have not experimented with Genre & Favorites yet, I assumed they are filters I wouldn't use ;)
Also, if the "Community" is continuing to develop RTVHD, I have three simple wishes to share. :thumbup:

WMC's RTV & Movie views have a file#/total# counter. Could that be added to RTVHD as well? :D
If the "Tips and Tricks" page is not functioning, could it just be removed from view completely? :?:
Checking the "Hide default Recorded TV menu strip" check box doesn't remove the menu strip.* :?

*or maybe it is just me? :wave:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 pm

Unfortunately, as I said, we don’t have the original source code and so changes to the Media Center Extension are not really possible.

The menu strip customisation does normally work though. Do you have any custom themes applied? That could be re-enabling the strip.

Hi-Def_PCs

Post by Hi-Def_PCs » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:08 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 pm Unfortunately, as I said, we don’t have the original source code and so changes to the Media Center Extension are not really possible.

The menu strip customization does normally work though. Do you have any custom themes applied? That could be re-enabling the strip.

I only have a custom background, but even before that addition only the Recorded TV HD header changed to "Recorded TV".
No worries, the WMC Recorded TV header is buried from my view, it was really an observation, not a real wish, per se. :roll:
Also, I happen to like the RTVHD header to read "Recorded TV HD" as a nod to the community's wonderful efforts for it. :thumbup:

RTVHD works great I would never go back! My focus will now shift to what is required for WMC to support NextGen TV ATSC 3.0
PC tuners and the needed Microsoft .Net framework. Is there a TGB forum thread on that subject that offers a solution yet? :?