Recorded TV HD Addin

mogulman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mogulman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:18 am

Last thing I did was the settings.exe patch on post 245 back about 4 months ago.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 am

That should be fine. The installer checks for the RTVHD program folder in order to apply the patch. Do you happen to have RTVHD installed in a non-standard location?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:28 am

c:\program files (x86)\RecordedTVHD, Standard folder. Tried repair install of 2.03. Repair worked. Patch still won't install, and says recordedTVHD is not installed.

Tried using admin user, tried right click and administrator..... no luck.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:28 am

Any idea what it is looking for? A registry key? or some file?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:13 pm

The installer checks the Directory key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RecordedTVHD

On a 64-bit OS this will normally contain the following.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RecordedTVHD]
"Directory"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\RecordedTVHD\\"
"installed"=dword:00000001
"Version"="2.0.3.0"
@="Default Value"
I can see that this would fail if you are installing the patch as a different user.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:39 pm

Yeah...that's why it failed. Your installer is a little messed up (or windows is). So what happens is: the above is in my current user key (non-admin). When your installer runs, it requests elevated admin rights, which I give it via uac. Then it looks for the key under the admin user (now current because of elevated rights) rather than the original user. Same thing if I run it directly from an admin user account.

I logged into my admin user's account, imported the key above (I actually exported the key I had, modified, imported). Then I ran the installer and it worked fine.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:56 am

Glad to hear you are sorted. It is a little weird that the installation registry keys are in your non-admin account. These are put there by the original RTVHD installer, but your non-admin account couldn’t have actually completed the installation. The same user switching elevation process would have happened.

billroden

Post by billroden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:23 pm

has anyone tried to download the zip file and have chrome discard the file due to malicious file possibility? Makes me suspicious to proceed.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:09 pm

You are wise to be cautious, but Chrome will do that with any file from what Google deem to be an untrusted source.
I recommend uploading any such file to VirusTotal to get it checked by a range of scanners.

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:37 pm

I need to clarify my previous post regarding Manual Recording based on some new revelations...

1st... Contrary to my previous post, you CAN change the title or name of a Manual Recording 'series' to anything you want. It does not affect the format of the episode name.

2nd... You will only see the episode name in the format "Manual: <show title>" if your manual recording start and stop times match EXACTLY with the timeslot in the program guide.
If you change the start or stop time to record earlier or later to catch a few extra minutes, the episode name will default back to your Manual Recording 'series' title which is "Manual Recording" by default.
When this is the case, the movie will not be ingested with metadata.

So... the rules are, change the series title to whatever you want (if you want), but make sure the start and end times match the timeslot exactly.

This way, manually recorded movies will be ingested correctly with all appropriate metadata.

Thanks,
Dave

dopdahl wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm Here's a bit more information to document things more clearly for posterity.

The Manual Recording scenario in WMC is a bit quirky. When Adding a Series Record, you can specify one time or repeating recordings by Channel and Time rather than Series Name.
I do this for weekly horror shows that do not appear in the guide data as "series". Each week a different movie is shown, and typically the Guide Data will look like a regular movie title.

There are a few different Guide scenarios that I've observed occurring:

1. Movie Title appears in the Guide Data for the Horror Show timeslot.
2. "No Information Available" appears in the Guide Data for the timeslot.

If "No Information Available" appears, there is no hope of automatic Movie title detection and correct ingestion by RTVHD.
If the Movie Title is there, then it will be handled properly assuming that the manual scheduled recording is set up correctly within WMC.

When configuring a Manual Recording under Add Recording in WMC, the Description for the Series defaults to the text "Manual Recording". You do have the option to change it. For example, I could change it to represent the weekly show "Festival of Fear".

However, changing the name from "Manual Recording" to something else causes WMC to use the Series Description that you specified instead of the Movie Title when processing the show. This breaks the functionality I've added into RTVHD.

You can see the behavior in the 'Scheduled Recordings' listing in WMC. When the default Series Name is left at "Manual Recording" AND if the Guide actually has Information for that time slot, then the show will be listed as "Manual: Bride of the Monster".
If you override the Series Description, then the scheduled recording will be listed as "Festival of Fear" (or whatever you chose) and RTVHD won't know how to process it correctly. If the Guide has no specific title, then metadata lookup will fail, of course.

I modified RTVHD to look specifically for the text "Manual:" at the beginning of a title. If it sees that, it strips that word out and uses the rest of the title as the title of the show and always forces it to be a Movie.
It can then do a proper metadata search and insert the movie correctly into RTVHD by Movie Title.

So, while this isn't a 100% perfect solution, it does handle for me the issue of setting up Scheduled Movie recordings on a manual repeating basis and getting those Movies ingested correctly.

I probably haven't explained this as clearly as I could, but this is the proper way to make use of the special processing for "Manually Scheuled" recurring recordings in RTVHD if you want them to be ingested automatically.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:58 am

Big news today. TheTVDB have announced that API v4 will require a paid subscription. All previous API versions will be turned off at the end of March 2021. Quite disgusting that Whip Media will charge individuals for access to the crowd sourced database.

I’m not sure what this means for Recorded TV HD. The library it uses for TheTVBD doesn’t support the v4 API yet. Even if it did, this will require significant code changes and a subscription. :|

This change will of course affect many other applications and so it will be interesting to see what happens.

dkm

Post by dkm » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:09 am

Oh joy. Well, I hope that RTHD can be updated to support v4 if I pick up an API key for $12/yr. But I understand if that's a bigger change required under the hood and it'll no longer work.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 am

Recorded TV HD uses a third party library to access TheTVDB API, so that would need updating first by that developer before RTVHD can be updated.

It will be interesting to see what other app developers do. Sounds like Plex are negotiating a deal. But others like Kodi and Sonarr may go a different route. TheTVDB are facing a lot of backlash; in preparation for this change they shutdown their long standing user forum.

One option may to be use TMDb instead for both Movies & TV. Their TV data is not quite as good currently but that may change now.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I don't see any open source developers supporting the paid API but I could be wrong. TMDB would be better than nothing but I have also seen some chatter about about TV Maze, and maybe someone can build a library that supports that? I don't know.

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Seems like somebody is working on something for TV Maze... though a library isn't essential, it would be less work to use one.

$12 a year for thetvdb doesn't seem unreasonable to me... but it's a slow drip in costs to keep WMC going as a user...

RTVHD wasn't really structured with supporting multiple APIs in mind... It would be some work to restructure it and give users a choice of options.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 am

Twelve bucks a year isn't that bad and if you use wmc it's probably with it.

dkm

Post by dkm » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 pm

I look at it this way -- I use several different apps that currently integrate into TVDB, like Emby / RTVHD / Filebot / MCEBuddy / etc. Either they all change to something like tvmaze (which is possible, but probably won't happen all at once) or these apps are updated to the new TVDB API and I can use my key across those handful of apps if/when they upgrade. If it was just for RTVHD I'd probably just deal with not having the info and graphics.

hotfart77

Post by hotfart77 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 pm

Over the last couple months, I've noticed that new (to me) series are not recognized within RecordedTVHD. Any series that I've previously recorded or added to the folder before approximately 2 months ago show up just fine with metadata. Anything new that I add is not recognized. For example, I added the new season of Disenchanted to my folder and it was recognized and had metadata since the previous seasons had been in the folder back when they first came out; but I've never had The Stand (2020) in my folder before a couple months ago, therefore it's not recognized.

The movies tab continues to function as intended, and all movies added to the folder are recognized.

I know RecordedTVHD had some pretty big issues last year with a change in TheTVDB, but was fixed with the beta version. Everything worked flawlessly again after that update up until a couple months ago. Wondering if anyone has any info on this issue? That's assuming RecordedTVHD isn't completely abandoned at this point.

Just trying to extend my WMC7 setup for as long as possible. I know someday I'll have to make a switch, but am not looking forward to that day since it seems nothing currently available (that I've found anyways) works as seamlessly on a TV while using a WMC remote controller. Venting here, but I just wish there was an option out there for a functionally similar media center program for Windows 10. I'd pay far too much money to buy something like that!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 pm

I’m guessing you haven’t installed the community patch? The last official beta version still had many issues and the original developer has indeed abandoned the project. However, work was done on a community-made update which restores the functionality and even adds new features. More information here:
viewtopic.php?p=141272#p141272

hotfart77

Post by hotfart77 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:05 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I *do* have the patch installed (RecordedTVHDPatch_v2-1-1) on top of RecordedTVHDSetup-2.0.3 for both of my WMC7 machines. The fix worked perfectly up until about 1.5 - 2 months ago when these new issues popped up. I kind of put it on the back burner, checking the forums here and there for a solution, and am just now getting around to posting here hoping to find any info or for any possible solution. Or, for someone to tell me to get off my butt and find a solution for Windows10, lol.

Definitely appreciate your help!