Recorded TV HD Addin

cloudcover

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cloudcover » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:06 am

rampantredsfan wrote:I was a big Recorded TV HD fanboy as a great alternative for Media Browser/XBMC for those who don't want to have to set up folders and want to use the program with their extenders.

I feel obligated to tell people this: the service does not play well with Drobo (and presumably other NAS) and a good portion of my recordings/media goes unidentified and the service quits working frequently. I have asked for help with no real support. Because of this I am uninstalling, eating the cost of my license, and moving to a more reliable solution.

It is a really cool piece of software for a normal WMC set up, but I would advise to not pay for it until you verify that it will work with your NAS.
out of curiosity, what's the more reliable solution that you were alluding to?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 am

cloudcover wrote:out of curiosity, what's the more reliable solution that you were alluding to?
I don't know what program he is referring to, but this (while I don't believe supports everything RecTVHD does) is what I use: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 22&p=16603

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Looks like just added Open With External Player feature!

Sorry Mikinho Open With...

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I tried RecordedTV HD again this week, and at first the instability was horrible at least on the extender. Thanks to Barnabas for suggesting turning off the commercial display feature -- since doing that it has been 100% better (knock wood), and it seems to have sped it up as well.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Received this in the mail:

Recorded TV HD will NOT WORK on Windows 8.1 Media Center

Microsoft has broken integration points for 3rd party plugins with Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 is about to be released to the general public and I'm sad to say, that at this point, most Windows Media Center 3rd party plugins will not function.

So if you would like to continue using Recorded TV HD, please DO NOT UPGRADE to Windows 8.1.

At this point I have no news as to whether or not Microsoft is going to fix this problem, but I would guess at some point they will... especially since they are charging users to add Media Center to Windows 8.... but I just don't know.

I just thought I would give you all a little heads up before you see the option to update to Windows 8.1. In the future you can check the main page of the forums for updates on compatibility with Windows 8.1.
Thanks again for using Recorded TV HD!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:30 pm

I wonder if the General Availability updates that are floating around will help - apparently other plug-ins work OK after installing them.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Yes it appears they allow other 3PTY plugins to work again. I assume RTVHD would be the same.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

lornaevo

Post by lornaevo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 am

I like this app and I actually purchased it. But very often I get a message saying it's not responding and need to quit. Any help would be appreciated.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 pm

lornaevo wrote:I like this app and I actually purchased it. But very often I get a message saying it's not responding and need to quit. Any help would be appreciated.
Try turning off the option to display commercial breaks on the timeline.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 am

Working beautifully on 2 of my 3 TVs (with the commercial skip display turned off). Had to disable RecordedTV HD addin on the upstairs TV for WAF because of occasional freezes on that one. Must be because that extender is on a MOCA adapter while the other 2 have wired ethernet.

allencoleman

Post by allencoleman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm down to 10 days left on my free trial. I'm still undecided. Since installing this program, my machine has become less stable. For example, just a few days ago, the PC would not display any video after waking from sleep. My only choice was to forcibly reboot it. This never happened before installing Recorded TV HD. Weird things started happening immediately after installing this software... none of which had ever happened before... and no other changes were made to the machine.
I have occasionally experienced this same problem of no display after the HTPC sitting unused overnight and I have never installed Recorded TV HD. I suspect it is something to do with the interface between my HTPC and my AV Receiver since the problem improved dramatically (but did not disappear) when I recently replaced my AV Receiver.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 pm

allencoleman wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I'm down to 10 days left on my free trial. I'm still undecided. Since installing this program, my machine has become less stable. For example, just a few days ago, the PC would not display any video after waking from sleep. My only choice was to forcibly reboot it. This never happened before installing Recorded TV HD. Weird things started happening immediately after installing this software... none of which had ever happened before... and no other changes were made to the machine.
I have occasionally experienced this same problem of no display after the HTPC sitting unused overnight and I have never installed Recorded TV HD. I suspect it is something to do with the interface between my HTPC and my AV Receiver since the problem improved dramatically (but did not disappear) when I recently replaced my AV Receiver.
You replied to a post that was 17 months old. If you want help with your no-video problem, please start a new thread. There are several ways to force an HDMI "handshake", and plenty of people will be happy to help. Since I posted that back in June 2012, RTVHD has been significantly improved, and I use it daily. I've actually disabled the default Recorded TV menu, and use RTVHD exclusively.

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:20 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
allencoleman wrote:
You replied to a post that was 17 months old. If you want help with your no-video problem, please start a new thread. There are several ways to force an HDMI "handshake", and plenty of people will be happy to help. Since I posted that back in June 2012, RTVHD has been significantly improved, and I use it daily. I've actually disabled the default Recorded TV menu, and use RTVHD exclusively.
Can I ask how you disabled the default recorded TV menu?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:13 pm

Pearljamaaron wrote:Can I ask how you disabled the default recorded TV menu?
Open Recorded TV HD. Press the up arrow on your keyboard/remote until you highlight the wrench icon in the top, right corner of the screen, and press Enter/OK. This opens RTVHD settings. Choose "Menu Strip, Recycle Bin & Other Options". Then, choose "Menu Strip Options". Now, press the up arrow to select "Hide default Recorded TV menu strip", and press Enter/OK so that there is a check mark in the box. Finally, exit all the way out of settings by pressing the Back/Backspace button. If prompted, choose to save your settings.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 am

barnabas1969 wrote: Since I posted that back in June 2012, RTVHD has been significantly improved, and I use it daily. I've actually disabled the default Recorded TV menu, and use RTVHD exclusively.
That sounds like quite the endorsement! I may have to go back and give it another look... any reasons you could state in general as to why you have it as a daily driver? Is it because it is stable enough for average wife approval (of the less than tolerant kind) or is it meeting just your approval with a few minor issues?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 pm

werds wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Since I posted that back in June 2012, RTVHD has been significantly improved, and I use it daily. I've actually disabled the default Recorded TV menu, and use RTVHD exclusively.
That sounds like quite the endorsement! I may have to go back and give it another look... any reasons you could state in general as to why you have it as a daily driver? Is it because it is stable enough for average wife approval (of the less than tolerant kind) or is it meeting just your approval with a few minor issues?
It does have a few minor bugs. For example, when I choose a recording to view more details (or watch it), when I press the back button, it doesn't always go back to the same spot in the list where I was before... but this isn't much of a problem. It's usually only a couple of items away from where I was originally. Also, it does occasionally crash while browsing around in the list of recordings, but not often. When this happens, it drops me back at the menu strip in Media Center. A simple push of the OK/Enter button on the remote takes me back to where I was before. Other than those two little quirks, it's been very good.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm

It's a really nice program, I've hidden the main tv strip as well.

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that this app is pretty slick. I use this exclusively for viewing/managing all of my recorded content.

DigitechMediaTV

Post by DigitechMediaTV » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 am

Agree 100%. I install it and also is used exclusively for viewing/managing recordings and movies on every box I sell w/ both default and movies strips are hidden. Love it.

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 am

DigitechMediaTV wrote:Agree 100%. I install it and also is used exclusively for viewing/managing recordings and movies on every box I sell w/ both default and movies strips are hidden. Love it.
DT, you have any luck setting up the commercial skip feature w/ ShowAnalyzer & DVRMSToolbox? I just started looking at this feature again and haven't had any luck getting it working. Followed the guide from Hack7mc - http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/08/setup-dv ... pping.html