Recorded TV HD Addin

lachape_one

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lachape_one » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:11 pm

having fun with this new soft, but i have a strange issue: for the same wtv files, RTVHD find data about the movie on my W7 computer and not in the W10 one, wonder if there some settings i did not configure properly
Attachments
2016-09-12 (2).png
Windows 10
2016-09-12 (1).png
Windows 7

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:55 pm

choliscott wrote:I will point out a few issues that I've had, but don't consider "dead in the water"
1) I've never experienced this. Could some other process be causing a file lock?
2) Yeah that is true.
3) Yeah this is a little slow but I find I have very few unidentified files. My system drive is an SSD which I imagine helps with general responsiveness.

Which version do you run? It is worth mentioning that 1.9.6/7/8 are beta/alpha releases.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Space wrote:I am looking to solve problems, not create more of them, so if it is unstable (movies going missing, crashes, filling up the HD with poster art for shows/movies I no longer have, etc.) then I would just assume forget about it.
It does download a lot of images; that is kind of the point. So these do hang around and use disk space. If you are not really looking for a rich UI for your shows then RTVHD probably isn't for you. It sounds like a lot of your problems would be solved by getting some more disk. Large drives are dirt cheap now.
Space wrote:I am thinking that setting up a favorite group that includes all series from A and adding and removing the series I am currently watching from B would be a decent way of keeping track of things. I would just check this favorite group for any episodes and watch them. If the group is empty (I always delete the recording after I have watched it), I know that it is time to add a new series from the B group (and remove the old one).
Yes that would work. You could have Watch Now and Watch Next list and then assign series to them as you like.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

IT Troll wrote:
Space wrote:I am looking to solve problems, not create more of them, so if it is unstable (movies going missing, crashes, filling up the HD with poster art for shows/movies I no longer have, etc.) then I would just assume forget about it.
It does download a lot of images; that is kind of the point. So these do hang around and use disk space. If you are not really looking for a rich UI for your shows then RTVHD probably isn't for you. It sounds like a lot of your problems would be solved by getting some more disk. Large drives are dirt cheap now.
I've already got a lot of disk (I'm up to about 17 TB now), I just record way to much TV :-)

I understand that it downloads images and that is something that I can live with if I am actually using it, but if I only use it rarely due to it missing features from the regular WMC UI, then it is just needless wear and tear on my system. Also, I've read in the forum that even after you delete a movie or series/episode it does not automatically delete the corresponding images associated with them, so that is also a problem for me since I delete everything after I watch it. The slower delete time is also something that sounds like would annoy me since I delete stuff all the time.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Space wrote:I've already got a lot of disk (I'm up to about 17 TB now), I just record way to much TV :-)

I understand that it downloads images and that is something that I can live with if I am actually using it, but if I only use it rarely due to it missing features from the regular WMC UI, then it is just needless wear and tear on my system. Also, I've read in the forum that even after you delete a movie or series/episode it does not automatically delete the corresponding images associated with them, so that is also a problem for me since I delete everything after I watch it. The slower delete time is also something that sounds like would annoy me since I delete stuff all the time.
Wow! 17TB, you delete everything you watch and you still struggle for recording space. You must have some backlog there.

I really wouldn't worry about wear and tear. I am sure there are other processes running on you system which are much more active. Like recording all that TV. ;)

It is true that it doesn't clean up the downloaded images folder. In the case of TV this is OK as you already have the images when a new episode arrives (less wear and tear) ;) however for movies it would be better if they were deleted. If it really bothers you, you could create a scheduled task to delete them periodically. It will just download them again if still required. I used to run with a 40GB system drive and never ran into a problem.

I can't say I've noticed any missing features. I am fairly sure Other Showings and Cast are there. For adding new recordings, or checking those scheduled, it just jumps you to the standard interface. It only really replaces the browsing / playback part. Which is very tired looking in standard Media Center.

The delete time is only slightly slower; I guess as it updates it's own interface. On a single delete it doesn't really impact. If you want to delete a whole season or all episodes of a show this can be done in a single button press (with confirmation).
Last edited by IT Troll on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Yes, the backlog is kind of ridiculous. I know I will never have time to watch even half of it, but figuring out what to get rid of is hard. Much of it is movies I recorded from premium channels and just never had a chance to watch.

From what I understand (and this is based on a post I saw in the forums over there, it is very possible that it is an older posts and things have changed) that in order to get to the screen with "Other Showings", etc. you have to first play the show and then you can press the "info" button on the remote to get the screen. Initially I had the left and right arrow keys set for the commercial skipping, so this would be a pain (the arrow keys would advance the video, not traverse the screens), but I just changed this to be the 1 & 3 buttons, so with that mapping it would not be so bad.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 pm

I have just checked and this is indeed still the case. You don't get Other Showings etc. whilst browsing. Only during playback and on the usual recording screens. I have Guide, Add Recording and Scheduled Recording on the main Menu Strip and do all my recording admin from those.

I believe it has some nice enhancements comskip; auto skipping and colour coding. But it don't have that and so haven't tried this.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 am

IT Troll wrote:I have just checked and this is indeed still the case. You don't get Other Showings etc. whilst browsing. Only during playback and on the usual recording screens. I have Guide, Add Recording and Scheduled Recording on the main Menu Strip and do all my recording admin from those.

I believe it has some nice enhancements comskip; auto skipping and colour coding. But it don't have that and so haven't tried this.
Yeah, I think it is just something I have to experience to see if it wold work for me, but may not be able to try it out for a while...

As for the comskip enhancements, as far as I know it only adds the visual of seeing where the commercials are on the progress bar (color coding). The other feature (autoskip) I already have and is a feature of the DTBaddin. But I have read that this feature (color coding) can be buggy and makes the screen go all blue for a short period when you display it.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:52 am

It's possible it's file lock, but haven't exactly been able to determine if that is the cause. Since start/stopping the service seems to work, I'm happy. I mentioned it as a possible issue, since I'm not the only one who's had the problem (when looking at the RTVHD forum)
In regards to unidentified, I've noticed if you have strictly WTV files it goes pretty quickly, but if you have other file types mixed in, that it takes a while (the number of files it has to look at also plays a part). Last I checked every you press the unidentified tab, it rebuilds the list from scratch. I did recommend to have to display a unidentified list instead of rebuilding each time, but that was never implemented.

I'm currently running the 1.9.7/8. I believe 1.9.7 was to correct an issue a couple of other users had at the time. What is considered 1.9.8 is the "RecordedTVSettings.Exe" file was updated to allow manual correction of unidentified shows. Besides that there was no other change.

One additional issue I saw, if I selected the "List" view & deleted all episodes of a particular show, instead of the selection box being on the show before or after the deleted show, it would jump back to the top of the list. For myself I've noticed Metro seems to work the best.

If you did want to try version 1.9.8 (The RecordedTVSettings.exe update file), I would suggest to keep the original RTVsettings file & make sure your RTVHD menu is configured & arranged the way you want. When I say menu, I mean when you first go into WMC & you have the Video, Music, Extras, etc Once this is done, you copy & replace the RTVsettings file with the updated one. The reason I mention to make sure your menu is configured/arranged to the way you want it, is because for me I couldn't change mine & have it save (it would appear to save, but when I went out & back in, it didn't change). It was easier to just configure the menu before switching to the updated settings file.

I did want to add more item, if you use DVRMSToolbox & Comskip. One issue that I do see if you have the commercial skip displayed in the timeline, there are times where after the show automatically skips, the screen will display the time in the top left corner & the remote doesn't work (can't remember if it's all of the buttons, or just the stop, play FF/Rew & the show keeps playing with no issue). When the show is complete then the remote works again. To fix this, I have it not display the commercial skip on the playback time line.

I would say that even though 1.9.6/7/8 are listed as beta/alpha, they have worked fine (besides the few issues I've mentioned) that I would pretty much consider them a release version
IT Troll wrote:
choliscott wrote:I will point out a few issues that I've had, but don't consider "dead in the water"
1) I've never experienced this. Could some other process be causing a file lock?
2) Yeah that is true.
3) Yeah this is a little slow but I find I have very few unidentified files. My system drive is an SSD which I imagine helps with general responsiveness.

Which version do you run? It is worth mentioning that 1.9.6/7/8 are beta/alpha releases.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 am

I just wanted to respond to some of the other comments in other messages in the thread.

There was the mention of RTVHD downloading images & storing them. This is true, but last I checked WMC also created image files of recorded shows. However that being said, I can't remember if they are deleted when you delete a show thru WMC &/or delete a show using "file explorer" in Windows. That being said, it's only downloading the images from TheTVDB or MovieDB.

You had mentioned you had a large quantity of shows & had to delete what you didn't want. One item I could suggest is maybe using MCEBuddy & have it compress down some of the shows, especially since you mentioned you don't keep anything. If you want to keep the ability to FF/Rewind shows to look at VideoRedo. You can have it convert WTV files to H264 WTV files & lower the quality down to 50%. I've been using this for a while & it will convert a bulk load of files & the file size is roughly 1/2 the size of the original. They do have a 30 day trial, but the downside is the program isn't exactly cheap ($100). This might help to recoup a bunch of space.

For what I like for RTVHD:

- Displays shows in Season groups & you can display the shows in Episode order
- Ability to delete all files of a particular show or just a particular season. I will say when I would go to delete a bunch of shows in the regular TV menu, I could start at the far left & start deleting & the selection box would jump to random shows
- Show movies on a different menu
- Create Favorites List
- Ability to display information on other media

Space wrote:
IT Troll wrote:I have just checked and this is indeed still the case. You don't get Other Showings etc. whilst browsing. Only during playback and on the usual recording screens. I have Guide, Add Recording and Scheduled Recording on the main Menu Strip and do all my recording admin from those.

Yeah, I think it is just something I have to experience to see if it wold work for me, but may not be able to try it out for a while...

As for the comskip enhancements, as far as I know it only adds the visual of seeing where the commercials are on the progress bar (color coding). The other feature (autoskip) I already have and is a feature of the DTBaddin. But I have read that this feature (color coding) can be buggy and makes the screen go all blue for a short period when you display it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:03 pm

choliscott wrote:I would say that even though 1.9.6/7/8 are listed as beta/alpha, they have worked fine (besides the few issues I've mentioned) that I would pretty much consider them a release version
The forums has this to say about the beta/alpha versions.
RTHD Forum wrote:v1.9.6 - Possible bug fix (undeclared by MJT) for the program freezing going into "more options." this might be only related to those using comskip.

v1.9.7 - Possibly only a change to a message box being disabled stating that the programs service has stopped and needs to be restarted. Useful for those wanting to run a "client" duplicate PC that you don't want scanning for new files (getting artwork, etc..). I believe this is not applicable to most installs.

v1.9.8 - Settings program only (one exe file) enabling manual IDing of unidentified files.
So unless you have those specific issues I would say v1.9.5 + v1.9.8 RecordedTVSettings.exe is the safest option.

Did you ever try running with 1.9.5. Your 1) issue does sound awfully close to the change made to 1.9.7.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:29 am

I'd like to try out this software, but I have a question first.

Does all the metadata reside on the C drive? I have a small SSD for the operating system and would like to put it all on another drive. From what I've researched it is implied that you can't change it to another drive.

Has anyone been able to move it?

Thanks,
Dave

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:44 pm

I don't believe there is a built in option to move this. But you could probably do it with Juction point in Windows.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 am

I agree with IT troll that you should be able to use a Junction point. How big is your SSD? Currently the size of my RTVHD folder is about 884 MB
DaveInPa wrote:I'd like to try out this software, but I have a question first.

Does all the metadata reside on the C drive? I have a small SSD for the operating system and would like to put it all on another drive. From what I've researched it is implied that you can't change it to another drive.

Has anyone been able to move it?

Thanks,
Dave

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 pm

I loaded RecordedTVHD yesterday and played around with it. It automatically puts all the metadata into Public\RecordedTVHD folder on the C drive.

As you noted, the size isn't that large. with 170 or so movies and series recorded, it's under half a gig. So, I don't expect it to be a space problem.

billroden

Post by billroden » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi,

I've been using RTVHD for a few years with no hiccups. Been very happy with it. This past weekend I did a clean install of my OS and put everything back on. I just noticed today that the "scheduled" tab does not show any shows that are going to be recorded in the upcoming days/weeks. When I look in the original TV section of wmc, it lists the scheduled shows in the list.

Any idea why I wouldn't see those same scheduled shows in RTVHD?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I am using very. 1.9.5

Bill

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 am

I'm way late to the game but interested in installing Recorded TV HD for the first time. I have the HTPC running WMC and then 4 or 5 echos and an xBox 360 running as extenders. Does this plug in play nice with extenders? I saw some mention of issues way back in this thread but not much which leads me to believe that it works fine with extenders for the most part or that most users in this thread don't have extenders.

TIA for any comments and information on this.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I'm way late to the game but interested in installing Recorded TV HD for the first time. I have the HTPC running WMC and then 4 or 5 echos and an xBox 360 running as extenders. Does this plug in play nice with extenders? I saw some mention of issues way back in this thread but not much which leads me to believe that it works fine with extenders for the most part or that most users in this thread don't have extenders.

I have 4 Xbox 360 extenders and it works well.

The UI and TV show organization is much better than native WMC. It can be a little slower to respond on the Xbox extenders than on the HTPC. Also, when navigating the 'Movies' section it will freeze occasionally, whereas I don't get any freezing in the 'Recorded TV HD' section.

I paid $20 for it before it became free, and would do so again.

There is a forum on the developers website where I found a lot of useful information... even though the posts are years old.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 pm

garnuts wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I'm way late to the game but interested in installing Recorded TV HD for the first time. I have the HTPC running WMC and then 4 or 5 echos and an xBox 360 running as extenders. Does this plug in play nice with extenders? I saw some mention of issues way back in this thread but not much which leads me to believe that it works fine with extenders for the most part or that most users in this thread don't have extenders.

I have 4 Xbox 360 extenders and it works well.

The UI and TV show organization is much better than native WMC. It can be a little slower to respond on the Xbox extenders than on the HTPC. Also, when navigating the 'Movies' section it will freeze occasionally, whereas I don't get any freezing in the 'Recorded TV HD' section.

I paid $20 for it before it became free, and would do so again.

There is a forum on the developers website where I found a lot of useful information... even though the posts are years old.
Good information there. I suspect it works on echos too so I'll just try it and see as well as report back.

BTW, when you say it freezes when going into the 'Movies' section do you mean the WMC "Movies" menu strip or is that within Recorded TV HD itself? Can I disable this in the menu? We really don't use the "Movies" strip as it is right now, mostly using the DVR to merely time shift weekly recordings of our favorite programs so it probably won't matter too much.

Thanks!

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Good information there. I suspect it works on echos too so I'll just try it and see as well as report back.

BTW, when you say it freezes when going into the 'Movies' section do you mean the WMC "Movies" menu strip or is that within Recorded TV HD itself? Can I disable this in the menu? We really don't use the "Movies" strip as it is right now, mostly using the DVR to merely time shift weekly recordings of our favorite programs so it probably won't matter too much.

Thanks!
No, not the regular 'Movies' section of WMC. Recorded TV HD creates a new menu strip with it's own 'Movies' category. I don't know if it can be disabled, I rarely use it myself.
RecordedTVHD.PNG
Menu strip added by Recorded TV HD