Recorded TV HD Addin

StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: Recorded TV HD Addin

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:23 pm

IT Troll wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm
I am surprised you were doing this manually before last week. Up until then I was finding it would work automatically for 95%+ of my content.
Me too... Except I was doing it for the other 5 - 10% of shows we record that aren't listed in the tvdb. That's how I learned, and became very familiar with, my workaround.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:48 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
As shown in the properties of the WTV file that was recorded OTA, the title, subtitle, episode name, recording date, network affiliation, broadcast date, channel number, call sign, description text, etc. are all included.
Yeah, I understand that. I however have a mix of OTA and non OTA content. So a lot more manual work is now required on the the non OTA stuff. Which is annoying as it was all working automagically before last Thursday.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:14 pm

IT Troll wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:48 pm
Yeah, I understand that. I however have a mix of OTA and non OTA content. So a lot more manual work is now required on the the non OTA stuff. Which is annoying as it was all working automagically before last Thursday.
Since this is the RecordedTVHD thread and I'm affected by the TVDB breakage, I thought this was the appropriate place to explain a simple workaround for OTA users. I tried at every turn to emphasize that I was discussing OTA only, not a mix.

In my workaround post for OTA users, I even mentioned this:
StinkyImp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
I don't know what the effect would be for cable users. If they receive the same program information as OTA users, then updating the artwork and database may be sufficient.
I'm sorry this won't work for you and thank you for confirming that. :D

If you find a substitute that works for mixed recordings, please share what you find so others in your situation can benefit from your experience. That's all I'm attempting to do for OTA users... If they don't want to go through a lot of hassles, make changes to their existing systems, or most importantly, irritate their SO :oops: then this is a path of least discomfort.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pm

TheTVDB is currently in meltdown. No apps which are using the old APIs are working correctly (without workaround fixes). I’ve spent some time on TheTVDB forums are it is full of issues and confusion. Each day changes are being made which fix some things whilst breaking others. Things they claim to have fixed are still not fixed and the devs seem to be concentrating on the new website and v3 API rather than all the problems this upgrade has created. It an excellent example of how not to implement change.

Hopefully, RTVHD will start to work again, without requiring any changes, once the many API bugs are fixed and things stabilise.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm

IT Troll wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pm
Hopefully, RTVHD will start to work again, without requiring any changes, once the many API bugs are fixed and things stabilise.
I hear ya! In the meantime I'm lucky I have a simple solution for RTVHD.

I see you also mentioned FileBot. For that I simply switched to TVMaze as the provider and it works great.

I also use Media Center Master because Pete has updated fetchers for IMDB, TVDB v2, and TVDB v3 for TV show metadata. Even so, theTVDB is still a bit glitchy.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 pm

StinkyImp wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm
I see you also mentioned FileBot. For that I simply switched to TVMaze as the provider and it works great.
I don’t use it personally, I just mentioned it alongside some other very popular apps which got broken by this upgrade.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 pm

IT Troll wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 pm
...some other very popular apps which got broken by this upgrade.
What?!? No mention of EPG123 as being an "other very popular app"? I'm hurt. :cry: Of course, I already took care of the impact to my Transfer Tool with all this.

Off-topic... missed opportunity @IT Troll. I was in Edinburgh last month on business travel. I didn't even think of giving you a shout out while I was there.
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:53 am

LOL. No offence intended. EPG123 is mostly unaffected though, I forget there are still some late comers who need to transfer from inferior solutions.

Edinburgh in November? That was brave, it can be rather dreich!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 am

It wasn't too bad. Got a bit wet, but the last day there was pretty nice so I did the museum and the castle. Filled up the day nicely.
- Gary
Stomping out the Rovi disease, one media center at a time. http://epg123.garyan2.net