Media Browser Add-in

bobbob

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bobbob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am

personally i would not rely on MB for my metadata. I use MB and love it but it takes a while to set up. its certainly not going to appear finished 5 mins after install

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Scallica wrote:
brantmacga wrote:if anyone has some pointers on this thing that would be nice.
Take a look at the Quick Start Guide and the Recommended Folder Structure.
http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... tart-guide
http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... ollections

If you still have difficulty, feel free to PM me.

I'll look over those links and see if i can get it figured out.

i'm going to give it a fair shake; may take a little time to get it sorted out. i'm hoping it gets easier. :)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 pm

It does get easier.. Like anything worth while it takes some time to set up and learn. I am diving head first into WHS right now without knowing anything about it. Its my first server and I am learning as I go. I already figured out how to remote desktop into it and make adjustments.
Media Browser has a learning curve. Read the Media Browser Forums, search for answers on their site most of what you need to know is already there and been asked by people already.
Personally (and this is just me) I like the Pearl Theme.. I think it looks nice. As far as Metadata goes for Media Browser I would suggest you use Media Center Master or Mikinho's YAMMM to fetch your Metadata for you and place that info into each movie or tv show folder. Once that is all local on your machine, Media Browser can display it much quicker than having to retrieve it from the net all the time.
YAMMM can be had here: http://mikinho.com/yammm/ Or if you buy the Ceton Companion App it comes with YAMMM 2.0 (I believe) and you can set it to retrieve your meta data as well.
or you can use Media Center Master here: http://www.mediacentermaster.com/
Both of these work well with Media Browser. I have been using Media Browser and Media Center Master for some time with excellent results. Getting the XBOX to work with Media Browser can be a bit of a challenge at times depending on your Media. If you have .MKV's these can sometimes work or not work.. it depends on the bitrate the .MKV is encoded at I believe whether it works or not. And Media Browser is a bit laggy on the XBOX as well as the DMA 2100 I have.
I am going to be a BETA tester for the new Ceton ECHO so I am looking forward to seeing how well Media Browser works with that.
If you have any questions on setting up Media Browser shoot me a PM or Email and I'll try and help out.
Good Luck,
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 am

it definitely gets easier. i agree with newfiend, something like MCM to download all your metadata locally will make performance and future setup much improved. i use the default diamond theme, i still think its the best and its free! i pay for a lot of the plugins though but they do a great job. gamebrowser for emulators, music browser, intros, trailers etc

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

Agreed.. First time I tried it I hated it. Then I read more about people loving it and tried again. I configured well and now I lofe it too.
Greg

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Media Browser 2.6.2 released (includes Windows 8 support):

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... s-released
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 am

Scallica wrote:Media Browser 2.6.2 released (includes Windows 8 support):

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... s-released
Thanks for the update on MB.. this is what was holding me back from trying Windows 8. I may at some point soon give it a try.
newfiend

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Media Browser is displaying the following error on loading my movie library. All other libraries (TV Series, Bond007, etc) load just fine. I tried re-entering the network paths to all my media and even rolled back to a time when this wasn't happening. Once launching Movies in MB it doesn't show any of my library.

I tried to do a screen shot of the pop up explaining the error but was not able to capture it before it disappeared. Here is what it says:

Code: Select all

INVALID ROOT ITEM
WARNING: Item Movies is resolving to a be a Movie. All root level items must be folders.
Check that this item isn't being mistaken because it is a folder with only a couple items and you have the playlist functionality enabled.
Has anybody seen this before?

Any suggestions?

EDIT1: I did a repair using Control Panel > Programs and Feature and it is now showing my library but with double entries. Now to see about cleaning that up..
EDIT2: After messing with my library in MB Configurator to get rid of duplicates the error returned.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Will do. Thank you!

I also updated to the latest 2.6.2 but the issue persists.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

I have over 200 movies and it has been working fine as I have my folders set up correctly. I think that this is most likely my problem as I got the same answer over on avsforum. I will be investigating this solution as the problem started after I ripped my latest mkv and that is the only movie that will play right now and the Movie section of MB shows the media as C:\Program Data\MediaBrowser\StartupFolder\Movies.vf file rather than R:\Public Movies\To Rome with Love (2012)\To Rome with Love.mkv .

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 am

It is all working well now. One movie was not in its own folder

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:28 pm

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

umm.. WOW!! You need to see this!
newfiend

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Looks awesome (although a little buggy, but I'm sure they'll sort this out before launch)

But it worries me about WMC support.

teddybear

Post by teddybear » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 pm

NWW wrote:Looks awesome (although a little buggy, but I'm sure they'll sort this out before launch)

But it worries me about WMC support.
Buggy?!? You can tell that from a short video? What do you mean by WMC support?

Tester

Post by Tester » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm

for fu#$%s sake, its not even out in beta yet, just a short video and U think it is buggy ??

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Guys chill out ^^

I just meant the animations were buggy. In the short video, you see a lot of artwork taking time to render, some transition issues etc. Nothing major!

And for WMC support, I meant the addin that is currently available.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 am

It looks great. I love that they are creating an alternative to Media Center. I'm worried that they have no immediate plans to support extenders.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 am

lithium630 wrote:It looks great. I love that they are creating an alternative to Media Center. I'm worried that they have no immediate plans to support extenders.
I don't use MediaBrowser, so correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't MediaBrowser's appeal that it was XBMC type customization/functionality/third party apps within WMC? So that you could leverage all that with the DVR/Live TV aspect of WMC and inclusion on WMC extenders? Without that - it's just another XMBC/Plex. Not that that's necessarily bad; more choices are always better. But I always thought that the tie in to WMC was what set them apart from the rest.
Last edited by staknhalo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.