Media Browser Add-in

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:37 am

From what I read on this so far is it will still be available within WMC. It supports Windows 7 & 8 and has always been a plugin prior to now. I understand that they are breaking out of that as a stand alone app but I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to launch it from with WMC still in 7..it may be different in Windows 8 but I would hope they would allow you to at least launch it from within WMC in Win7/8.
EDIT:
I found this posted over at MB3 blog re: Media Browser 3

Question: "This looks amazing. While I’m sure there are going to be a thousand questions about it, my top two are, what are the system requirements and resources used compared to the current version and is there going to be a way to launch it from WMC? Thanks and can’t wait to try it out."

Answer: "We’re still working all that out but I think our server and client will consume less than WMC did. And our WMC integration is still to be worked out as well, but just about anything is possible with this architecture. – ebr about 11 hours ago"

So it doesn't sound like it's been decided for sure to be able to launch it from within WMC yet... But anything is possible.
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 am

I was more referring to his excitement over it "creating an alternative to Media Center" - it doesn't. It creates an alternative to XBMC/Plex. I wasn't even trying to make a point actually - just musings :P

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 am

staknhalo wrote:I was more referring to his excitement over it "creating an alternative to Media Center" - it doesn't. It creates an alternative to XBMC/Plex. I wasn't even trying to make a point actually - just musings :P
Yes it does. In some of the posts the developers said they are working on live tv, pvr functions and other features that won't be ready for launch. I like options since Microsoft couldn't care less about Media Center and Google destroyed Sage. I just needed a bridge since I already run 5 extenders and don't want to start all over.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 am

lithium630 wrote:
staknhalo wrote:I was more referring to his excitement over it "creating an alternative to Media Center" - it doesn't. It creates an alternative to XBMC/Plex. I wasn't even trying to make a point actually - just musings :P
In some of the posts the developers said they are working on live tv, pvr functions and other features that won't be ready for launch.
And not being in the video/description that was posted - I knew that how? But good to know they are working on it if so. It won't help people with CableCards that need to watch anything flagged other than 'Copy-Freely' though I'm assuming?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:16 am

lithium630 wrote:In some of the posts the developers said they are working on live tv, pvr functions and other features that won't be ready for launch.
So in other words exactly the same features that the XBMC crew are planning to add to XBMC.

This will compete with WMC for Win8 users who don't want to shell out $70 to get the Media Center Pack - as long as they don't care about encrypted cable content. WMC is going to be the only game in town for those users for the next couple of years.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am

staknhalo wrote:
lithium630 wrote:
In some of the posts the developers said they are working on live tv, pvr functions and other features that won't be ready for launch.
And not being in the video/description that was posted - I knew that how? But good to know they are working on it if so. It won't help people with CableCards that need to watch anything flagged other than 'Copy-Freely' though I'm assuming?
The same way I did. I read it on the Media Browser website.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

foxwood wrote:
lithium630 wrote:In some of the posts the developers said they are working on live tv, pvr functions and other features that won't be ready for launch.
So in other words exactly the same features that the XBMC crew are planning to add to XBMC.

This will compete with WMC for Win8 users who don't want to shell out $70 to get the Media Center Pack - as long as they don't care about encrypted cable content. WMC is going to be the only game in town for those users for the next couple of years.
Your assuming.. But I don't disagree. The only point I was trying to make is I can't upgrade without extender support and that might not happen.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm

you shouldn't forget that the rest of the world isn't crippled by DRM. For the rest of us this is an alternative to WMC

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

It's an alternative in the same way XBMC is. And it won't include free listings. (Though that won't matter for people who already pay for listings).

werds

Post by werds » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

foxwood wrote:It's an alternative in the same way XBMC is. And it won't include free listings. (Though that won't matter for people who already pay for listings).
It looked pretty, but much like XBMC and Plex, it would be a nonstarter in my home unless it could duplicate some of the functionality the WMC and Xbox extender ecosystem provides right now for us. The ability to receive and view encrypted and copy protected channels and recordings from any location in the house, shared scheduling and recording pool, Netflix integration. And an easy interface. My wife is happy with our WMC ecosystem but I have been eyeballing all the alternatives for ages hoping someone comes up with a worth competitor ... Here's to hoping the fresh competition moves someone to finally provide what only WMC can provide atm (Now if I was single and not beholden to my wife and daughters I would soooooo move over to MB3 or XBMC in a heartbeat!). I still remember fondly learning linux commands in order to setup my first MythTV system.... lol

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 am

well thankfully in the UK i can get my paid for satellite sub into WMC with no DRM restrictions. and yes i already pay for epg cos the MS one doesn't cover all my satellite channels

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

I had to abandon Media Browser a few months ago when an update failed and would not re-install. It was recommended that I re-install Windows and I decided to switch to My Movies rather than go through the hassle. I can say however that the idea of media browser using VLC player natively seems great (I used to use it as a plugin for unsupported files -- rather than installing codecs). Hopefully they can get this to work in WMC and therefore on extenders.

Also I am adding a link to the blog as I was confused when looking for this ..... http://www.mediabrowser3.com/blog/

djinn424

Post by djinn424 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Got a question about how to switch languages for certain movies. Some movie files have multiple languages, some with commentary.
When this is the case, I cannot put it off so I need to use VLC.

I got media control add-in but it seems to do nothing to change that.

Any suggestions?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Media Browser Server 3 & Media Browser Classic 3 are now in public beta:

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/download/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Scallica wrote:Media Browser Server 3 & Media Browser Classic 3 are now in public beta:

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/download/
Have you installed this yet? If so your thoughts??
newfiend~

werds

Post by werds » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 pm

I too am interested in feedback from others on this... I so badly WANT to test it out, but beta testing on the main HTPC comes with giant risks. And it gets ugly when my wife can't watch her housewives of whatever....

Also, am I to understand correctly if all you want to do is integrate it with WMC similar to how MB2 works you only need to download and install the client version, no need for the server version?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri May 17, 2013 2:02 am

I installed MB3 on my test system. There are three components to MB3, which are Media Browser Server, Media Browser Theater (a standalone app), and Media Browser Classic (WMC plugin). As of now, only the server and classic components have been released to public beta. Media Browser Classic requires the Media Browser Server to be running.

So far, MB3 is well done. All configuration is done via a web interface. You can also browse your entire MB library through the web interface and play your files within the browser. However, I cannot figure out how to add icons to each library location or add a default backdrop wallpaper like in MB2.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am

I tried it today but I'll be going back to the previous version. I'm glad they added the Media Center plugin I don't think the devs have a lot of interest in it. Custom entry points no longer work, which is a deal breaker for me. I understand they don't want to rely on Media Center, but there are so many competitors like XMBC and Plex.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:46 pm

ive had some teething issues with this but I think it will be fantastic once everything is running smoothly. I can already remote in and watch movies etc on my phone via the web server! nice....
Lee

xzener

Post by xzener » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 am

Hello everyone!

Not sure if you guys have seen this, Leedavies over at the Media Browser Community Tracker has created a stellar theme called Crystal. It is compatible with both MB2, and MB3. Its available for download in the Media Browser Configurator.