MY MOVIES 4

guppy

HTPC Specs: Show details

MY MOVIES 4

Post by guppy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 am

Here is my setup:
Living room: HTPC with all movies on HardDrive
Den: PC that connects to the htpc in order to play movies. The Den PC is what I test everything on before I make changes to the HTPC.

I downloaded and installed MyMovies 4 to the den pc. I selected to install it as a client. Upon starting WMC and clicking the new movies folder it says I must log-in thru the collection management program. So I go tot he collection management and it asks for the IP of the HTPC (192.168.1.104), but it can not find it. Do I need to install My Movies on the HTPC as a server for this to work?

meob

Post by meob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 am

install the standalone version....

the client version needs a server version to connect to, so the ip its looking for would be the sever ip, not thew client pc you are currently using....

meob

Post by meob » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 am

or install sever version on DEN pc....

and use Living room pc then as client....

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:49 pm

If your movies are stored on the HTPC in the living room then this is the main machine and should be the Server / Standalone
Then you would install the My Movies client only on the DEN PC and point it to the IP / Hostname of the HTPC in the living room which is acting as the server.
In Collection Management on the server use UNC network paths for each movie title i.e. \\HTPC\DVD\NameofMovie rather than local paths such as D:\DVD\NameofMovie, this way your client My Movies PC the Den one can also play the movies from the network paths which are point to the server / HTPC in the living room.

Hope that makes sense.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

guppy

Post by guppy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 am

cw-kid wrote:If your movies are stored on the HTPC in the living room then this is the main machine and should be the Server / Standalone
Then you would install the My Movies client only on the DEN PC and point it to the IP / Hostname of the HTPC in the living room which is acting as the server.
In Collection Management on the server use UNC network paths for each movie title i.e. \\HTPC\DVD\NameofMovie rather than local paths such as D:\DVD\NameofMovie, this way your client My Movies PC the Den one can also play the movies from the network paths which are point to the server / HTPC in the living room.

Hope that makes sense.

Ok I followed your advise .. on the first half. The HTPC (living room) is Server/client. The PC (Den) is installed as client. On the HTPC I setup Firewall to pass thru File sharing and SQLBrowser. The HTPC seems to work with My movies (sorta), it is logged in and all. I am not able to get the Den to connect to the htpc thru my movies collection manager. I put the HTPC's IP (192.168.1.104) and it tries, but it comes back "could not connect to the database server, yada yada yada".

Give me a hint on where to setup the unc paths, this is all new to me atm.

Swindmiller

Post by Swindmiller » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Make sure you have an account on the den pc with the same username/pass as on the livingroom one. Login with that and then try to connect...worked for me

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

When I was talking about using UNC network paths I was talking about each movie title in the Collection Management program having a UNC path.
So for example if on the HTPC where your movies are stored, you share a folder out to the network say its called DVD the UNC path to this shared folder would be \\nameofHTPC\DVD\

Then in the DVD folder you would have your DVD rips

\\nameofHTPC\DVD\Nameofmovie1
\\nameofHTPC\DVD\Nameofmovie2

In Collection Mangement you would point the movie titles to the correct UNC path, there is a disc(s) button on each movie title you can change it in here. This way your Den PC can access the movie files via the network path of the HTPC. Assuming you have the correct file and sharing permissions configured on your DVD shared folder, to allow the Den PC's user account access etc.

This however has nothing to do with getting your Den PC to initially see the My Movies database on the HTPC PC. I think you will need a username and password that is the same on each PC for example I use a user called MCE and set the same password on each PC.

If your Collection Management program on the Den PC is unable to connect to the database on the HTPC then you have a firewall problem or some other network issue, as a test you could try turning off the firewalls on each PC.

Look here for the setup guide for Multi Zones
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

guppy

Post by guppy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm

This is driving me freckin crazy!

So I go to Firewall on the HTPC (server) and open up file sharing and SQL like below.

But I still can not connect unless I disable the firewall on the HTPC

On the firewall does public need to be checked also? I looked at the link for "configuring Multi-Zones" but there firewall windo is different from my Win 7. I have file and sharing allowed on the Den pc (Client), but there is no SQL to be found on it.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Its been along time since I used Windows 7 as a server / standalone install as I have a WHS server now. But if you are still having issues with the firewall setup you may have to go in to the advanced settings of the firewall some where in control panel and manually add or edit existing firewall rules to allow the correct access to the SQL server. You might be better asking this question on the My Movies forums.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle