WMC Backup

Chairface

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Backup

Post by Chairface » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 am

I made a little application to assist with Backing up my WMC config (recording schedule / Channel Lineup) and view my scheduled recordings.

Thought I would share.. Recently added a CLI version for automating the backups and dumping out your show list.

Nothing fancy here, but its quick and painless.

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Thanks

As always: PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Changelog

v1.6
-added ability to backup TV shows (a little clunky right now, does not currently verify destination free space.. will improve)
-added some bookmarks to assist with a fresh load re-install of Windows/WMC

v1.5
-added ability to clear tuner remnants (this allows you to have the option to forcibly restore, does not affect active media center data)
-Media center factory reset option now removes tuner remnants to ensure restore option is available afterwards

v1.4
-added ability to backup/restore Channel Lineup
-added ability to run force MCupdate package download (prior it would only check for update)
-improved logic backing up the most recent data

V1.3
-added ability to see if a show is marked for 'any channel' (soon will have the ability to toggle from the app)
-added support for running windows on any drive letter (feedback welcome as I currently am unable to test this ability)

V1.2
-added advanced commands dropdown
-manually force MC7 update
-perform factory reset on MC7

v1.1
-revamped UI
-fixed backup button not working glitches
-ability to call a guide update after import
-sortable columns
-lists channel #s
-view previously backed up file before importing it

v1.0
-initial release
Last edited by Chairface on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:10 am, edited 9 times in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm

I have used this before .. Worked really well. Thank you!

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 pm

I've been using this for a while as well. Always works perfect!

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am

I hope to do some 32bit testing soon. I'm told it does work 32bit to 32bit, but exporting from 32bit and attempting to import on 64bit has problems. If anyone has any feedback to offer with your experiences in 32bit with the app, please drop me a line on the sites forum (http://seanmauch.com/forum).

Thank you!

srynoname

Post by srynoname » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 pm

Chairface, first of all I have to say that I appreciate it very much that you also provide a command line version! But I am wondering: Is it really necessary to use a tool like yours to backup the schedule? Isn't there just any file in the file system I can backup? Please give some technical details on this, thank you very much! Also, is there any source available for your tool?

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 am

Yes, you can easily perform the backup by hand..

Check here- http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-a ... edule.html

srynoname

Post by srynoname » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you! What exactly is the difference between manually backing up and using your tool? I've seen that I can export a subset of the recording schedule using your tool, are there more differences? What if the channel list changes during my next Windows install, will your tool handle this in some way?

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:02 am

Right now its basically just a way to quickly backup/restore from a GUI perspective. In the new version I have added the ability to force an MC7 update, and do a factory reset. I'm also working on adding the ability to toggle all shows as 'record from any channel' to assist with restoring a guide to a different cable lineup. i will be adding more options to 'edit' the recording schedule during the backup to give more control over what exactly you want backed up and restored.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Chairface wrote:Right now its basically just a way to quickly backup/restore from a GUI perspective. In the new version I have added the ability to force an MC7 update, and do a factory reset. I'm also working on adding the ability to toggle all shows as 'record from any channel' to assist with restoring a guide to a different cable lineup. i will be adding more options to 'edit' the recording schedule during the backup to give more control over what exactly you want backed up and restored.
This sounds great. Let me know when you have this ready to go. I would like to add this to my backup file collection.
Thanks,
newfiend~

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 am

Added a couple features:

V1.3
-added ability to see if a show is marked for 'any channel' (soon will have the ability to toggle from the app)
-added support for running windows on any drive letter (feedback welcome as I currently am unable to test this ability)

V1.2
-added advanced commands dropdown
-manually force MC7 update
-perform factory reset on MC7

As always: PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 am

v1.4
-added ability to backup/restore Channel Lineup
-added ability to run force MCupdate package download (prior it would only check for update)
-improved logic backing up the most recent data

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm sorry I never saw this before... Definitely interested, especially in the channel back up part!

One question... Can you use the backup of channel data from one PC on another? Our main media center PC channel line up is set up just the way I like it, and the others in the house... not so much, because I have not felt like making the effort.

Thanks!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks for updating this and adding new features. Love this utility.. it saves a lot of time and headache restoring a WMC machine! Well Done Chairface!

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:I'm sorry I never saw this before... Definitely interested, especially in the channel back up part!

One question... Can you use the backup of channel data from one PC on another? Our main media center PC channel line up is set up just the way I like it, and the others in the house... not so much, because I have not felt like making the effort.

Thanks!
I'm hoping for some feedback on this feature as I've just implemented it. I only have one MEDIA CENTER PC (ceton PCI tuner card) and xbox360s' as MC extenders so all my TVs share the same lineup config. I welcome any feedback from testing different setups. If you attempt to restore to a different type of tuner, I'm not sure of the results. I will try and setup some fresh install testing and see what I get.. I would consider this feature in an Alpha state as of v1.4..

Chairface (sean)

c686547

Post by c686547 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 am

I don't see how to restore using this tool, only how to export a dump.

Thanks.

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 am

c686547 wrote:I don't see how to restore using this tool, only how to export a dump.

Thanks.
The restore option was only available on a fresh install of Windows. The idea was to prevent you from loading a duplicate schedule/lineup and have double entries in your guide.

However I have just added a "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" option, this will allow you to clear any leftover Tuner data that is preventing you from restoring in the App. This will not affect your live Media Center setup. If you use this option while an existing schedule/lineup is defined within Media Center, and then restore, it will be added to the existing data. (causing duplicates if its the same Tuner info).

If you run "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" and you still have Tuner info configured within media center. Running a Media Center update will restore the Tuner remnants.

Also I have updated the Media Center Factory Reset option, it now will cleanup the remnant files as well..

Keep in mind, anything that kicks off MCupdate, will take a moment for it to complete. If you re-run the backup app too quickly, it may not show the most up to date info. Rerun the app after media center update has finised. (10-20 secs or so should cover it in most cases)

I ran a test:
Backup schedule
Backup lineup
Media Center Factory Reset Option (v1.5 also cleans up remnants to allow immediate restore capability)
Restore schedule
Restore lineup
Test OK'

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 am

v1.6
-added ability to backup TV shows (a little clunky right now, does not currently verify destination free space.. will improve)
-added some bookmarks to assist with a fresh load re-install of Windows/WMC

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 am

Can you clarify what is the best way to restore a channel lineup?

If you reset media center, don't you have to setup your tuner again, thus it forcing you to "set up tv" and download the channel and guide? Thus, your app will prevent from restoring channels...no?

Thanks in advance!

Chairface wrote:
c686547 wrote:I don't see how to restore using this tool, only how to export a dump.

Thanks.
The restore option was only available on a fresh install of Windows. The idea was to prevent you from loading a duplicate schedule/lineup and have double entries in your guide.

However I have just added a "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" option, this will allow you to clear any leftover Tuner data that is preventing you from restoring in the App. This will not affect your live Media Center setup. If you use this option while an existing schedule/lineup is defined within Media Center, and then restore, it will be added to the existing data. (causing duplicates if its the same Tuner info).

If you run "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" and you still have Tuner info configured within media center. Running a Media Center update will restore the Tuner remnants.

Also I have updated the Media Center Factory Reset option, it now will cleanup the remnant files as well..

Keep in mind, anything that kicks off MCupdate, will take a moment for it to complete. If you re-run the backup app too quickly, it may not show the most up to date info. Rerun the app after media center update has finised. (10-20 secs or so should cover it in most cases)

I ran a test:
Backup schedule
Backup lineup
Media Center Factory Reset Option (v1.5 also cleans up remnants to allow immediate restore capability)
Restore schedule
Restore lineup
Test OK'

Chairface

Post by Chairface » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:18 am

V1.7
-Removed .WTV copy tab (useless)
-Added ‘Tweak’ tab allowing to tweak the following:
Live TV Pause Buffer
Skip Interval
Replay Interval
-Updated media browser link to point to MediaBrowser3
-Reports Detected Media Center Version

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks so much for creating this. I have a particular problem that may be common and wondering if this will solve my issue.

Whenever my channel lineup changes, I have to go into WMC and go thru the whole setup thing again where it discovers my tuners and then downloads the available channels and then i go thru and Edit my channels. I have a HDHRP and an HDHRDual, so I have some OTA channels that overlap with cablecard channels. Again, I have to manually merge those in the guide.

I would love to backup WMC once, and then anytime I have to reset/re-discover my channels I can just restore from that. I am NOT looking to move my WMC config over to another server.

Thanks for any help,

Harold