Where can I find MCSFix.exe?

caliskier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where can I find MCSFix.exe?

Post by caliskier » Sat May 09, 2020 4:18 am

Where can I find MCSFix.exe? Need it to fix Media Center Studio so updates can work.

I understand that Media Center Studio Needs MCSFIX to make the changes work in windows 7

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat May 09, 2020 3:08 pm

caliskier wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:18 am Where can I find MCSFix.exe? Need it to fix Media Center Studio so updates can work.

I understand that Media Center Studio Needs MCSFIX to make the changes work in windows 7
When Media Center does it's updates, it will revert the theme. MCSFix.exe does not "make it work" it just keeps it working. You should be able to disable the WMC update service now, as it was pulling stuff from ROVI and CD updates. You want to select at least to not download update data in WMC, so you don't get any errors. So you should not even need this any more.

Is Media Center Studio not working for you on Windows 7 ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Sun May 10, 2020 4:46 am

No I have 10

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Here you go. Like I said, it has NOTHING to do with making Media Center Studio run, it is something to run if the theme goes away from a Media Center update....
Attachments
MCSFix.rar
MCS Fix
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Sat May 16, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks again brother... This is my plan, to make what I want work on my windows 7 machine and then bring it over to windows 10 by copying the xml file that studio is changing or creating. Will that work?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 pm

caliskier wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:48 am Thanks again brother... This is my plan, to make what I want work on my windows 7 machine and then bring it over to windows 10 by copying the xml file that studio is changing or creating. Will that work?
*IF* you really want to go down the Media Center studio road, You also MIGHT want to also grab "C:\ProgramData\Media Center Studio" (the whole folder) as well, as that is where all the themes are stored. Just drop the folder in the same place on Windows 8 or 10, and it will load them right up when MCS starts.

Windows 10 and Windows Media Center is big hit or miss. It does not work with all tuners, A update can come down and completely wipe out WMC. It's a hassle.

if you have a cable card tuner.... Go to Windows 8.1 (still officially supported), with 10, there is not a chance to get them working unless you go to a early no longer supported build of Windows 10... Personally, if you want a dependable system that stays working, stay with 7 or go with 8.1..

I tried to get MCS working under 8.1 or 10 (for the limited time I played with it), and I just moved to Windows Media Center themer, I imported all my themes and I get mostly the same experience. If you are trying to just move things around in the menu, there are other programs that will do that as well.

Good luck on your quest...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Shadow Lord

Post by Shadow Lord » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 am

DavidinCT wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:55 pm Here you go. Like I said, it has NOTHING to do with making Media Center Studio run, it is something to run if the theme goes away from a Media Center update....
I have been looking for this program as well. I have turned off update in WMC (Win 7 SP1) and it still is wiping my custom menus. However, the RAR file is not working for me. Is this a valid RAR archive? I can't get WinRAR to open it. TIA!

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Shadow Lord wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 amI have been looking for this program as well. I have turned off update in WMC (Win 7 SP1) and it still is wiping my custom menus. However, the RAR file is not working for me. Is this a valid RAR archive? I can't get WinRAR to open it. TIA!
I placed it here in the MCSFix folder in it's raw (exe) form, rar format, and zip format. They're all the same just in different containers. One of these should work for you! :)

https://mega.nz/folder/2k0WXI5b#hEvTsif-W8oOfIcDeQNCLA

Shadow Lord

Post by Shadow Lord » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:15 pm
Shadow Lord wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 amI have been looking for this program as well. I have turned off update in WMC (Win 7 SP1) and it still is wiping my custom menus. However, the RAR file is not working for me. Is this a valid RAR archive? I can't get WinRAR to open it. TIA!
I placed it here in the MCSFix folder in it's raw (exe) form, rar format, and zip format. They're all the same just in different containers. One of these should work for you! :)

https://mega.nz/folder/2k0WXI5b#hEvTsif-W8oOfIcDeQNCLA
Much appreciated! Thank you. One question: do I need to save my configuration, after I get it all setup, for this to be able to restore it or do I simply run it, as a scheduled task, and it gets magically restored? TIA!

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Shadow Lord wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm Much appreciated! Thank you. One question: do I need to save my configuration, after I get it all setup, for this to be able to restore it or do I simply run it, as a scheduled task, and it gets magically restored? TIA!
I run Win7 Pro x64 with the Media Center Studio version located at the link I provided. In all the years I've been running that version I've never need to use MCSFix so I can't be of any help in that regard. Maybe someone who has used it can provide additional assistance?