ModernMedia UI+ - Modern Theme and All-New Features

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 am

W10MC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 am Surprisingly, there has not been much feedback or interest about using dual buffers, but I will be posting a detailed setup guide to help configure your system for this feature.
For me at least, this is due more to a lack of available tuners more than anything else. HDHR primes are the go to tuner, and using 2 out of 3 of them for one screen is kind of a difficult sacrifice. I need more primes at some point

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm

jachin99 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 am
W10MC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 am Surprisingly, there has not been much feedback or interest about using dual buffers, but I will be posting a detailed setup guide to help configure your system for this feature.
For me at least, this is due more to a lack of available tuners more than anything else. HDHR primes are the go to tuner, and using 2 out of 3 of them for one screen is kind of a difficult sacrifice. I need more primes at some point
Thanks for replying fellas. Yep, I haven't thought about the fact the feature can monopolize a limited set of tuners, especially if you're recording other programs. I built my HTPC in 2009 and then added an internal 4-tuner Ceton PCI-e cablecard that also serves an extender downstairs. So if the dual-buffer feature is implemented, the HTPC will grab two tuners and if someone is watching on the Xbox 360 extender downstairs, it will try to grab two tuners also, leaving none for recording additional programming? I have been eyeing the "announced" HDHR PRIME 6 from SiliconDust that was supposed to be released months ago; the SD website still says "coming soon". That would help the situation if the dual buffers work well and come in handy. I was on Tivo in the late 90s and early 00s (which had dual buffers) and so I kinda got spoiled with those and was disappointed when I went to WMC to see that wasn't supported. Now that I haven't had them anyway for 10 years, I may not feel as strongly about it. But I do remember it was nice when I had them. A lot of WMC enthusiasts never had dual buffers so they may not know (or care) what they've been missing.

So Mike, do you have any documentation ready yet that will tell me how to set the dual buffers up? Can I just set up dual buffers for one machine (HTPC or extender) and not the other? Maybe I can give it a test ride and get you some feedback.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:21 pm

After you activate mmui you should see a new option in it's settings to implement them. This works by using extender accounts so I'm not sure if it works with extenders.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:55 am

PeteS457 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm So if the dual-buffer feature is implemented, the HTPC will grab two tuners and if someone is watching on the Xbox 360 extender downstairs, it will try to grab two tuners also, leaving none for recording additional programming?
The buffers will only be utilized by the Media Center PC, so two tuners will always be in use there. The Xbox will not use more than a single tuner at a time. A 6-tuner device like the Ceton InfiniTV, which I'm currently using, or the upcoming HDHR Prime, would be ideal.
PeteS457 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm So Mike, do you have any documentation ready yet that will tell me how to set the dual buffers up? Can I just set up dual buffers for one machine (HTPC or extender) and not the other? Maybe I can give it a test ride and get you some feedback.
I'm almost finished putting the documentation together, and I definitely look forward to getting your feedback.
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:25 am

To use dual live TV buffers, first activate ModernMedia UI+ and then install the following:

1. RDP Wrapper Library - enables concurrent RDP sessions to your Media Center PC; download and extract the .zip archive, then run install.bat as Administrator

2. WMC RDP Patch (see attached files) - enables video playback in WMC when running via Remote Desktop by patching ehshell.dll and Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll; download and extract the .zip archive, then follow the instructions in Readme.txt

3. ModernMedia Controller - provides automatic background control of buffers and implements additional functionality for restoring paused position when changing channels and then returning to the previous channel; download and install, then open WMC and visit http://localhost:40650/help in your browser to verify that the application is running

Next, create two new user accounts on your system. Each username must use the format "Mcx<id>-<computer>" where <id> is the numeric identifier of the Media Center Extender and <computer> is the name of the Media Center PC. The name must follow this convention since the account is serving as a virtual Extender, and in order to emulate an actual Extender device, the username must match that of an actual Extender account. If you already have Extender accounts, you can increment the numeric portion of the username by one. For example, usernames such as Mcx1-HTPC and Mcx2-HTPC may already exist. In this case, you would add users named Mcx3-HTPC and Mcx4-HTPC to serve as virtual Extender accounts for use as live TV buffers.

Open UI+ to review the settings for Extra Features. If not already enabled, check "Recent Channels List" in order to log current buffer parameters. The dual buffers will not function if this is disabled. Then enable "Dual Live TV Buffers" and select each of the newly created user accounts in the drop-down boxes.

Open Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe), connect to 127.0.0.1 and log in as newly created user #1.

Open another instance of Remote Desktop Connection, connect to 127.0.0.2 and log in as newly created user #2.

After logging in, open WMC in each RDP session and then minimize the RDP windows. These sessions can be left to run in the background for now, but you may need to mute their audio output later.

Finally, open your main WMC from the host OS, tune a channel and then tune another channel. If everything is set up correctly, you should be able to switch between the two channels and rewind each one to the beginning of the buffer. A "joined" icon should also appear next to the channel number when flipping back and forth.
Attachments
WMC9600x64-RDP-patch-V2.zip
Windows 8.1 x64
(3.68 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
WMC7601x64-RDP-patch-V2.zip
Windows 7 x64
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm having some trouble with the TCP controller. I can't bring up the help page, when I ping the loopback address on that port I don't get a response, and when I checked my network connections with a netstat command it isn't listed. I tried opening up port 40650 on the firewall but it didn't make a difference. I also have VMC controller installed on all of my PCs so I'm not sure if that is playing a part in all of this. I need VMC controller for automation.

I have a few more questions as well. When I create these user accounts, I used lusrmgr. I did not set a password, and I unchecked the box to force the user to create a password, and checked the box to set the password to never expire. I don't see these accounts listed as options when I enable dual buffers but I do see the accounts as options on my logon screen.

I checked the account names I created against account names on a different machine that I have setup extenders for, and I noticed that the Mcx accounts for the machine I have extenders connected to have UUIDs for their full names where the Mcx accounts I created just repeat the user account names under full name. I haven't setup any extenders on this particular machine, and I thought maybe I had to implement the firewall rules for extenders so I merged some preconfigured firewall rules to my registry but still didn't have any luck. Would it be easier to just delete the accounts I created, and connect 2 extenders to this thing to let windows do all of the work? I'm guessing you would prefer being able to set this all up manually but I'm impartial. At this point I don't appear to have the TCP controller working correctly so I guess troubleshooting that would be a good first step. Either way if you are looking for feedback I hope we can sort through all of this, and thanks.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:20 pm

jachin99 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm I also have VMC controller installed on all of my PCs so I'm not sure if that is playing a part in all of this.
That might be causing the problem. ModernMedia Controller is a replacement for VmcController. It includes the same functionality and actually adds one new option for navigating to a specific entry point in WMC. For example, the following command will launch the Digital Cable Advisor: http://localhost:40650/goto AddIn {5e9e46fd-547d-4c3c-a126-29137e648e4d} {25964053-235e-4eeb-b099-c633aa43add0}
jachin99 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm When I create these user accounts, I used lusrmgr. I did not set a password, and I unchecked the box to force the user to create a password, and checked the box to set the password to never expire.
That should be fine. I do not use a password for either user. Also, I have not modified the firewall settings of the new accounts.
jachin99 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:00 pm Would it be easier to just delete the accounts I created, and connect 2 extenders to this thing to let windows do all of the work?
Sure, you can definitely do that.
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:58 pm

I made a little more progress on this in terms of the extender accounts. I created Mcx1 and Mcx2 but for whatever reason Mcx2 wouldn't show as an option for my live TV buffers. It was exactly the same as Mcx1 as far as I could tell so I went ahead and added an extender, which gave me Mcx3. Now Mcx1 and Mcx3 show as options in MMUI+. I found a bug in the newest resource build though. When I attempt to add an extender via the start menu tile under tasks Media Center crashes. I had to disable the theme to add the extender. So I'm closer but not there just yet as I need to solve the TCP control problem, and I don't believe the enable video from a remote desktop connection patch was successful.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm

It looks as though after a lot of help from mike the TCP contoller has been updated, and works great on my machines

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 pm

I have had a little more time to try and set this up. I think most of the individual bits and pieces work but something still isn't right. I'll start with what works correctly.

I applied the RDP patch, and everything seems to work. I can watch live TV via remote desktop with the exception of HBO, etc. which I haven't gotten to work. There is an odd glitch in this over RDP where I need WMC in fullscreen, and I have to alt-tab to another program before live tv will play but I don't believe this will effect or is caused by MMUI+

I can create Mcx accounts, and I setup an extender, which autogenerated the account BUT when I attempt to log into the extender's account, I get a message saying login attempt failed. I remember some issues where it was mentioned that extenders use a cert to authenticate, and that I'm guessing this is the cause?

I can select the extender generated account in the MMUI settings regardless but I can't select some of the accounts I created. Along with this, I get two Mcx1 choices in the options drop box but there is only one account with that name. Could there be something in that program where it isn't reading the accounts correctly? I have now created 3 mcx accounts, which are 1,2,4 and used an extender to generate another, which is Mcx3. I can dial in and watch tv via the loopback address for the accounts I created but not the account created by my extender. Im presented with three options in the dropdown box for configuring extender accounts. Mcx1, Mcx1, and Mcx3. What should I look into next. I had to add the mcx accounts I created to the remote desktop users group before I could dial into them, I did the same for the account generated by the extender but still no luck. Thanks.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I just activated ModernMedia UI + and I love it!
After using WMC since 2005, this is truly a breath of fresh air.
Good work!

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 am

jachin99 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 pm I get two Mcx1 choices in the options drop box but there is only one account with that name. Could there be something in that program where it isn't reading the accounts correctly?
The list of accounts comes from the Windows Users directory (typically C:\Users). Maybe there is a duplicate (possibly hidden) account listed there using the name.
joelkirzner wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 pm I just activated ModernMedia UI + and I love it!
After using WMC since 2005, this is truly a breath of fresh air.
Good work!
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:31 am

W10MC wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 am
jachin99 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 pm I get two Mcx1 choices in the options drop box but there is only one account with that name. Could there be something in that program where it isn't reading the accounts correctly?
The list of accounts comes from the Windows Users directory (typically C:\Users). Maybe there is a duplicate (possibly hidden) account listed there using the name.
Alright, I'll take a look at my user accounts, thanks again.

niczoom

Post by niczoom » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am

Just installed this and really like the layout and look. Just a couple of initial observations/questions.

I really like the weather built into WMC but wherever the data comes from is not correct for my locale and as good as this feature is I wouldn't use it because of this. I live in Adelaide, Australia and for definitive forecasts use the 'Aust. Government Burea of Meteorology (BOM)' website. This always shows up to date current weather. In the future would it be possible to pull data from other sources? For Australia, the BOMs site can supply data in JSON format (and others), for example in my area the link for data in JSON format is here.

In the new guide layout, I would like to be able to remove the green 'NEW' text that appears above the program titles. As I scroll through my guide the majority of shows have the 'NEW' word above them which really isn't necessary. I believe it would save enough vertical space to display an extra channel on the guide screen, from 8 to 9 lines.

Is 'MyChannelLogos' compatible with UI+? I use this to update my channel logos.

Hopefully my posts in the correct area?
Last edited by niczoom on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:49 pm

niczoom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am Is 'MyChannelLogos' compatible with UI+? I use this to update my channel logos.
I just installed ModernMedia UI+ and I have My Channel Logos installed. It works fine with that plugin.
All my logos are in the new guide layout.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:05 pm

niczoom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am I really like the weather built into WMC but wherever the data comes from is not correct and as good as this feature is I would use it based on this.
The weather data is currently provided via MSN. Alternate data sources may be offered in the future.
niczoom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am In the new guide layout, I would like to be able to remove the green 'NEW' text that appears above the program titles. As I scroll through my guide the majority of shows have the 'NEW' word above them which really isn't necessary.
The majority of programs should not be flagged as new. This sounds like an issue of poor quality guide data. I don't anticipate adding an option to disable the text.
niczoom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 am Is 'MyChannelLogos' compatible with UI+? I use this to update my channel logos.
My Channel Logos is definitely compatible, and with UI+ the logos will be displayed in multiple areas of WMC, not just in the guide.
-Mike

niczoom

Post by niczoom » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:10 am

Not sure where MSN gets it weather data from but certainly not from Australias BOM site. Seem to be just a best guess to me :)
The majority of programs should not be flagged as new. This sounds like an issue of poor quality guide data. I don't anticipate adding an option to disable the text.
Im in Australia and the guide data just comes through automatically from the broadcaster (afaik), I dont have or use any 3rd party service to get the guide.

To make all these changes to WMC to you guys edit the XML and MCML files within 'ehres.dll', 'Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll'?

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:40 am

niczoom wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:10 am To make all these changes to WMC to you guys edit the XML and MCML files within 'ehres.dll', 'Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll'?
Yes, the modified resources are in ehres.dll, Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll and Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll.
-Mike

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Is there anything that could cause the recent channels list to not populate. It was working for a while but then I noticed the channels weren't being updated so I cleared it, and it has been empty ever since.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

jachin99 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 pm Is there anything that could cause the recent channels list to not populate. It was working for a while but then I noticed the channels weren't being updated so I cleared it, and it has been empty ever since.
I have seen this happen on occasion, but not permanently. You can try deleting mc.dat in ProgramData\ModernMedia\UI+ and then restarting WMC. Also, make sure the background server is running; open UI+ to check the status.
-Mike