Total Media Theater? What broke it?

dbailey75

HTPC Specs: Show details

Total Media Theater? What broke it?

Post by dbailey75 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm

I'm still using TMT 5.1.146, and well, with in the last month, or so it's no longer working will not even open. Came across one thread from Jan 2018 where some one mention the Windows Win 7 Jan 2018 roll up killed it, I watched a moving maybe mid to end of april and it worked just fine, now all my PC's are showing the same issues.

I'm rolling back to prior retore points, restoring back to March 1 as week speak. but wanted to ask what everyone else doing for BD play back and WMC 7? And those still using TMT are you having the same issues?

I realize my solution is about eol, but I'd like to keep it going from another 8-12 months while I work on a new setup.

currently running WHS2011 with MCE on 3 PC's with a ceton ETh , TMT 5 and My movies, has worked out great for the last 7-8 years.

I'm eyeing the release of the SD 6 tuner, and looking to switch to Emby maybe.

Update: I rolled back to May 1 still had the problem, my test PC didn't have all the daily backups, so the next date I had was March 1, and everything now works, I've turned off the updates, so I'm thinking it was the April roll up that caused the issues, when i restore my "production" PC's, I can try some additional dates, should have the April 1 restore point to try later today.

Update 2: rolled another PC back to April 1 and TMT seems to be working again.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Can you still play new releases with TMT? I always figured it wouldn't download new AACS keys, and would not be able to play new movies? Either way, I use PDVD 15, which was the last one to include a WMC plugin, and this works pretty good for me.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue May 29, 2018 5:05 pm

jachin99 wrote:Can you still play new releases with TMT? I always figured it wouldn't download new AACS keys, and would not be able to play new movies? Either way, I use PDVD 15, which was the last one to include a WMC plugin, and this works pretty good for me.
If you need to use a older version... you could always install AnyDVD HD.... that should solve the problem as AACS goes...

They do run a sale time to time but, right now, it is kind of expensive around $125 or so for lifetime.

I still wonder if you can install PDVD 15 and upgrade to 18 and keep the WMC plugin. It's just a MCL and some registry entries...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:16 pm

jachin99 wrote:Can you still play new releases with TMT? I always figured it wouldn't download new AACS keys, and would not be able to play new movies? Either way, I use PDVD 15, which was the last one to include a WMC plugin, and this works pretty good for me.
most are rips using Mymovies with MCE.

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:23 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
If you need to use a older version... you could always install AnyDVD HD.... that should solve the problem as AACS goes...

They do run a sale time to time but, right now, it is kind of expensive around $125 or so for lifetime.

I still wonder if you can install PDVD 15 and upgrade to 18 and keep the WMC plugin. It's just a MCL and some registry entries...
I did some digging around last night, and most folks seems to have given up with MCE integration with PVD 16.

I'm thinking I just might give all this up, lot of time, effort and money to make your media library available on demand.

If the SD 6 turner is not released this year, I might just get a qnap nas for my files, photos, etc and move to digital stream options for all movies and live TV.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 pm

dbailey75 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

I did some digging around last night, and most folks seems to have given up with MCE integration with PVD 16.

I'm thinking I just might give all this up, lot of time, effort and money to make your media library available on demand.

If the SD 6 turner is not released this year, I might just get a qnap nas for my files, photos, etc and move to digital stream options for all movies and live TV.
Well, if you wanted a newer Blu-ray player in WMC, it is always possible, there is always a way to do it..

Remember, Auto run items are just registry settings and Any 3rd party app can be used in WMC if you use ReLaunch and with that you can set a button to exit the app and return to WMC....

Only think you could possibly lose by using another 3rd party app is drop a Blu-ray in and it auto plays. If you use bitstreaming (DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos, etc), WMC needs to be exited before you can take advantage of those other auto formats with 3rd party apps.... ReLaunch can do that.

With that being said... I ONLY used TMT or PDVD to play Blu-ray discs so I didn't have to rip them (Rip N' Compress in WMC works pretty well)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Ya know there is a tool for wmc where you can change the audio device being used in wmc. Maybe that could be used to deconflict exclusive audio problems

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 31, 2018 8:18 pm

jachin99 wrote:Ya know there is a tool for WMC where you can change the audio device being used in WMC. Maybe that could be used to deconflict exclusive audio problems
Dabbled with that a little a while ago. I could not find a solid working solution for this issue. WMC requires exclusive access to the audio system. If you disable exclusive access, you lose bitsreaming that kills any HD audio formats from WMC (my 400+ movies will only get 5.1 audio). If you give WMC exclusive access, 3rd party apps (like TMT or PDVD), cant get exclusive access to provide bitstreaming.

The ONLY way I found was to exit WMC and play the movie(Blu-ray) from one of those 3rd party apps.

Did you find a working option on this ? I know it's the wrong topic here but, would love to know.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Something I have been meaning to do for a while but havent started on yet is to really look into what benefit I get from DTS, DD, and other "HD Audio" formats. I know PCM is the usual alternative so if I can get similar sound quality without screwing around with exclusive access then I would be all for it. I can't vouch for their expertise but you could start here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/pcm-vs ... ma.682968/ I think I have output encoding enabled right now in WMC, and I still get discrete sound channels. Thats just a guess though, and like I said I have to dig in further. I haven't started because my TV room needs other work for the time being, and I have other projects.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Could be another clue: https://www.sevenforums.com/media-cente ... enter.html I might break down, and ask sharks about it.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm

https://youtu.be/lz5zM5RZmDE Might be helpful to some, even though its version 6