Add-in to show commercials on time line

cjsacksteder

HTPC Specs: Show details

Add-in to show commercials on time line

Post by cjsacksteder » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:27 pm

I had a small add-in that showed in red where commercials were marked on the playback time bar. Initiated with a definable keystroke. Somehow I have deleted that, and while I keep all installers, I cannot find it.

Does anyone know the name of that? As I recall, the utility had only this one function. Very useful.

Have looked on https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/Media_Center_Add-ins as well as everywhere else I can think of.

dkm

Post by dkm » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:38 pm

DVRMSToolbox, Comskip, or ShowAnalyzer. It's been a long time since I tried to set all that up but I remember using a combo of DVRMS and Comskip to accomplish what you're looking for.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:15 pm

cjsacksteder wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:27 pm I had a small add-in that showed in red where commercials were marked on the playback time bar. Initiated with a definable keystroke. Somehow I have deleted that, and while I keep all installers, I cannot find it.

Does anyone know the name of that? As I recall, the utility had only this one function. Very useful.

Have looked on thegreenbutton/wiki/Media_Center_Add-ins as well as everywhere else I can think of.
dkm wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:38 pm DVRMSToolbox, Comskip, or ShowAnalyzer. It's been a long time since I tried to set all that up but I remember using a combo of DVRMS and Comskip to accomplish what you're looking for.
While DVRMSToolbox with Comskip or ShowAnalyzer allows you to automatically skip commercials, it does not show the commercials on the progress bar. The only add-on I know of that does that is "Recorded TV HD", but it is not a small add-in, as the OP has indicated, but an almost total takeover of the interface (at least from what I can tell, I've never used it). Perhaps that part of it can be installed separately, but I don't know.

I do believe that this visual representation of the commecial segments is separate from the detecting/marking of commercials which still requires the DVRMSToolbox and Comskip/ShowAnalyzer combo to work.

https://www.engadget.com/2011-08-02-rec ... k-ind.html

Note that I believe this add-on originally cost money but was given away for free when the developer stopped supporting it, I believe there was a registration key available for everyone to unlock the add-on for free on the website at the time.

EDIT: Yes, here is the archived page that has the key...
Install file is here.

cjsacksteder

Post by cjsacksteder » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks very much. This is interesting. I had Recorded TV HD installed for years, and I did remove it recently because I thought I wasn't using it. On re-install, it does indeed have an option to show commercial segments when it is used to play a recording. But it wasn't what I had been using, which showed com segments only via a "3" button and worked when playing via the regular Recorded TV.

Inside MC Settings under Extras Library, there is a "Commercial Break Viewer" enabled. That could be it.

This all started when I replaced a failing boot drive with a SSD, and that being successful, the extra hubris made me start cleaning things up, despite my policy of "don't mess with that computer". I may re-install the failing boot drive to see what was installed.