Recorded TV HD Addin

hotfart77

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by hotfart77 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else I changed around 2 months ago. Internet connection is the same, PIA is the same. I'll follow up when I do get around to doing a fresh install.
IT Troll wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:55 pm Interesting, I guess that's not it then. I am really struggling to explain why you are getting an empty response back from TheTVDB when everything appears fine. The fact that you have two machines doing this makes it unlikely this is a local database corruption.

Can you think of anything you changed around two months ago?

Failing that, my only suggestion is that fresh install when you get to it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Hotfart wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:45 am I would GLADLY pay for a subsciption! Of course, that's assuming they don't want an insane amount for a subscription.
A personal subscription to TheTVDB v4 API costs $11.99 per year. They have said you can earn a free subscription by contributing to the database, but this scheme still hasn't launched yet. :thumbdown:

They originally said that the old (free) APIs would be deprecated at the end of March. Deprecate doesn't mean dead, so we will just have to see what happens.

RTVHD uses a third-party library to access TheTVDB which doesn't currently support v4. I have reached out to the author of that to see if they plan to update it.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

hotfart77

Post by hotfart77 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:13 pm

IT Troll wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:10 pm
Hotfart wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:45 am I would GLADLY pay for a subsciption! Of course, that's assuming they don't want an insane amount for a subscription.
A personal subscription to TheTVDB v4 API costs $11.99 per year. They have said you can earn a free subscription by contributing to the database, but this scheme still hasn't launched yet. :thumbdown:

They originally said that the old (free) APIs would be deprecated at the end of March. Deprecate doesn't mean dead, so we will just have to see what happens.

RTVHD uses a third-party library to access TheTVDB which doesn't currently support v4. I have reached out to the author of that to see if they plan to update it.
Good info to know. Keeping my fingers crossed that a solution is found!

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:20 pm

hotfart77 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:13 pmKeeping my fingers crossed that a solution is found!
My $.02$ quatloo latinum opinion...

During the time period between when Mark did his last update and when dopdahl and IT Troll performed their wizardry, I found that the RTVHD database could be easily updated using Windows "Snipping Tool" and the portable version of "DB Browser for SQLite".

During that time I had to disable the update functions in RTVHD.

I only record OTA so the PSIP stream has most everything to populate an episode (series, episode name, description, channel, date, time, etc). I'd go to thetvdb website and if I couldn't right-click save, I'd "snip" the poster and backdrop I wanted, save them to a dedicated folder, and then assign them to the series in the RTVHD settings. That's a one-time operation per series.

After that I'd use the DB Browser to quickly update all the episodes with season and episode numbers (if I was in the mood). That's pretty much all I needed to keep RTVHD up to the SO's standards (and that's all that really matters). ;)

If things go south with the v4 transition, I'll probably use these procedures again until WMC finally gives up the ghost.

hotfart77

Post by hotfart77 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Yeah, luckily any new OTA series that I record within Media Center will still display within RTVHD, just with the artwork missing (they show as a blank box with text of the series name). Also, the correct metadata does display (guessing RTVHD may just pull metadata directly from dvr-ms files). Since the basic functionality is still there, I won't stress too much over the missing artwork for OTA recorded shows...at least I can see them and play them within RTVHD.

I'm like you and will probably keep using Media Center as long as possible, assuming something better doesn't come along. But in any case, what you said is great info to have in case things go completely south with the V4 transition. Appreciate your insight!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Yeah the workaround is pretty good for OTA recordings. It is not so convenient for imported media files though as they don’t have the metadata.

In some good news, the developer of TheTVDB REST client is going to try adding v4 support. So there is a glimmer of hope.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Hotfart

Post by Hotfart » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm

IT Troll wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 pm In some good news, the developer of TheTVDB REST client is going to try adding v4 support. So there is a glimmer of hope.
Excellent! Keeping my fingers crossed. Also a big thank you in advance to everyone involved!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 am

The old TheTVDB APIs are getting a bit of a reprieve due to ongoing problems with the new v4 API. This means Recorded TV HD will continue to work as it is for a bit longer. Also gives us more time to work on solution for v4. :thumbup:
TheTVDB wrote:Due to a myriad of issues with the v4 API, we will be extending the cutoff date for all of our older APIs. The new cutoff date will now be October 1, 2021.
Quite a few apps have already moved away from TheTVDB due to the API changes. I feel for the people who are already paying subscriptions fees for v4 access.

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm

I'll take a look when I have some time unless someone else is taking over the project. If necessary I can probably implement the API myself. Of course, that's less than ideal.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:15 pm

dopdahl wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:09 pm I'll take a look when I have some time unless someone else is taking over the project. If necessary I can probably implement the API myself. Of course, that's less than ideal.
The developer of TheTVDB REST client has indicated they will update it for the v4 API, but understandably they want v4 to be stable first. With the ongoing issues and now the extension, I suspect they won't look at it just now.

You never know, v4 may get another extension, or may have a free personal tier once it eventually gets released. This extension also gives other apps longer to switch to another provider (TMDb) which is improving it's TV data.

Whatever the outcome. Your assistance, when it comes to it, would be greatly appreciated.

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:09 pm

The TVDBSharper library is open source and modifiable... It's just a matter of reworking it to the new api... which shouldn't be a super massive project.

Anyway, we'll wait and see. At the end of the day, I'll fix it up if necessary.

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Coming in late here regarding the add series issue. It may be fruitful to check the windows event log after the failed series lookup. Might be something logged in there.

The only other thing that comes to mind is changes to your network adapter settings that may have caused issue... I'd ensure you have have the latest network adapter drivers installed. And that you haven't changed anything in there to optimize performance like rx or tx buffer sizes and the like.

I'd also make sure you haven't configured an alternate DNS server... not likely an issue though.

TheTVBD doesn't seem to allow developer web-based access to the legacy v3 API anymore without a subscription, so the API can't be tested through their interface directly. Though it's obviously working fine for everyone else.

Since v4 seems inevitable, I may just buy a subscription.

Very odd behavior with this series issue... Without digging into the user's machine, Windows event log may be the only clues we can get.

As a last resort, the Series can be manually added to the DB using DB Browser, then subsequent episodes should be added OK. Just use an existing Series in DB as your template for manually creating the new one.

Or I guess it could be added through the configuration ui too...

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 pm

IT Troll wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:22 pm The redirection behaviour has been turned off and as this is a free forum it should live on through the direct link:
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/

I do now have admin access to the forum and have taken a full backup just in case.
This link is dead for me. I know the keyboard combo for toggling the watched/unwatched status for a recording was in that forum.

Does anyone know or remember what that combo is?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Unfortunately Nabble is shutting down as it is not profitable. They are leaving a single server up for active forums, but the old RTVHD forum was stagnant. I do still have a backup and so I will try to search it for the info.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am

The forum content isn't particularly read-friendly from the backup, but a search hasn't revealed anything about keyboard shortcuts.

I do have a separate standalone utility which can set the watched/unwatched flag across selected titles. Are you perhaps thinking of that?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:56 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am The forum content isn't particularly read-friendly from the backup, but a search hasn't revealed anything about keyboard shortcuts.

I do have a separate standalone utility which can set the watched/unwatched flag across selected titles. Are you perhaps thinking of that?
Thanks for looking. :thumbup:

I remember back when Mark was actively developing and supporting RTVHD someone on the forum asked how to reset the watched indicator using a keyboard. He gave instructions that were super simple but I cant remember the key combination. I used those instructions infrequently over the years. It wasn't the standard Ctrl-W but it was some other simple combination and I "think" had to be performed while hovering over the play (or resume) button?

I used it so rarely that when I needed it I'd just go to the trusty old forum that I knew was going to be around for the rest of my life!

I probably should have written it down somewhere... :roll:

EDIT: How big is the forum database? There's a new anonymous (automatically expiring) file transfer service named Wormhole that allows up to 10GB files. https://wormhole.app/

If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd like to see if I can find that post.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:05 pm

I think I've worked it out from your clues. If you press Clear on the remote (keyboard equivalent Delete) whilst on the Resume button you get the option to clear/reset the watched status. If you have watched the title right to the very end then you have to hit Play again in order to display the Resume button.

I did find someone asking about CTRL+w in the archive because that is what Media Browser uses. But I don't think that was implemented. I think Clear/Delete works better to be honest for those using a remote.

The whole backup is just 26 MB when compressed. However, that includes peoples account details which I wouldn't want to share.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:09 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:05 pmI think I've worked it out from your clues. If you press Clear on the remote (keyboard equivalent Delete) whilst on the Resume button you get the option to clear/reset the watched status. If you have watched the title right to the very end then you have to hit Play again in order to display the Resume button.
I KNEW it was something simple!

That's all I really wanted and it worked like a charm! In 5 - 10 years I can come back here (hopefully) and find this again since this website will be here forever! :think:

IT Troll wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:05 pmThe whole backup is just 26 MB when compressed. However, that includes peoples account details which I wouldn't want to share.
Totally understood! Thank you again!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:09 am

TheTVDB have started to email people warning that legacy (free) APIs will be turned off on 1st October. It sounds like they are really going to do it this time.

I am still hopeful that the middleware used by RTVHD will be updated to support the new v4 API. This will of course require a $12 subscription. It is rather annoying that they still haven't made the promised free subscription available to people who contribute data.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:19 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:09 amTheTVDB have started to email people warning that legacy (free) APIs will be turned off on 1st October. It sounds like they are really going to do it this time.
One of the great things about RTVHD is that it can be manually updated pretty easily. I downloaded posters and backdrops (or used Windows Snipping tool) and DB Browser for SQLite to quickly update series and episodes during the time when RTVHD was unsupported. OTA users already receive 95% of series and episode information so updating usually only requires artwork and episode numbers.

Looks like I'll be back to that until WMC is finally obsolete in our home.