Video playback in WMC is glitchy

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
TH3Batman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video playback in WMC is glitchy

Post by TH3Batman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:27 am

Hello, first post on the forum. Looking for some help.

Been using HDPRIME for about 2 years no problem. About a month ago every recording starting being glitchy and freezing in WMC. Basically unwatchable. Sometimes signal loss during recording. Also, watching "live tv" in WMC is the same problem.

Watching live signal in HD Prime Viewer is no problem. No glitches. Problem is only while inside WMC.

Windows 7 user. No updates recently to software or hardware. When from working fine to glitchy and unwatchable. Ideas?

thanks

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 am

Well you could....

test your hard drive...TV tuners kick the heck out of them.

do a WMC reset back to original. Sometimes the database's get large and confused.

Start out with option 1....test for a few days.

Then try Option 2 if necessary.

https://mymce.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/ ... ecordings/

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 pm

TH3Batman wrote: No updates recently to software or hardware. When from working fine to glitchy and unwatchable. Ideas?
Your recorded TV hard drive is likely failing. Install Hard Disk Sentinel to check the health.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

TH3Batman

Post by TH3Batman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:36 am

I will try the HD sentinel thanks. I did a windows disk check and it said it was fine. Here is my questions. If it was the drive (which was my first thought and why I did the disk check) why would the live tv be glitchy? it isn't recording or playback, I don't know much about it but is the drive being used when just trying to watch live tv on WMC?

TH3Batman

Post by TH3Batman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 am

[/quote]Then try Option 2 if necessary.

https://mymce.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/ ... ecordings/[/quote]

I tried option 2 already based on another website. Didn't help, thanks though.

TH3Batman

Post by TH3Batman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:48 am

Scallica - Thank you so much for the Sentinel suggestion. I used it and it said drive is failing. Windows said it was fine. I should know better than to trust windows. Thank you for your help. I will put a new drive in.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 am

TH3Batman wrote:I will try the HD sentinel thanks. I did a windows disk check and it said it was fine. Here is my questions. If it was the drive (which was my first thought and why I did the disk check) why would the live tv be glitchy? it isn't recording or playback, I don't know much about it but is the drive being used when just trying to watch live tv on WMC?
Windows Disk Check will only look for bad sectors, whereas HD Sentinel will analyze the drive's S.M.A.R.T. data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

When you are watching live TV, the broadcast is being written to the hard disk in a buffer. How do you think the rewind and pause function works? ;)

What does HD sentinel report?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 am

FYI - The OP emailed me and said that HD Sentinel indicated that his hard drive is failing.

TH3Batman

Post by TH3Batman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:40 am

As stated above I did email to say thank you. I used HD sentinel and it did state that my drive was at 40 %. I installed a new WD AV drive and reset WMC just for good measure. Day 4 and it is working just fine. Thank you to Scallica and TheGreenButton for the help.